British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US high school and college getting an understanding (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-high-school-college-getting-understanding-845559/)

newadventure Oct 21st 2014 4:35 pm

US high school and college getting an understanding

Hi

We have been over here from the UK for 2 1/2 years and are at the stage where we make the decision do we go back for our eldest education (currently 8th grade and we have a 6 and 4 grader:D) or stay and go down the green card route. We are exploring both options and I am meandering myself round the high school system and thinking about what that means for college. If we get our green card my eldest won't be a US citizen in time for starting college.

A few questions:

Does anyone know of a good book on the high school and college education system, scholarships etc which will help me swot up on what's involved?

If our daughter is not a US citizen but is a green card holder will she be able to get scholarships and govt loans. Will she be able to work part time also?

If we stay that probably means we will be here for good as we would want to ensure we had all the kids through schooling here. Any thoughts on those who have decided to stay and bring their kids up as Americans or those who decide to go back and bring their kids up in the UK.

Many thanks

Hotscot Oct 21st 2014 4:38 pm

Re: US high school and college getting an understanding

I believe Sally will be along with some input soon.

newadventure Oct 21st 2014 4:58 pm

Many thanks

Sally Redux Oct 21st 2014 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11445384)
I believe Sally will be along with some input soon.

*fumbles to put pager away*

Hi newadventure,

Had a quick skim of your thread about whether to stay in the US. Am I right in thinking you are leaning towards staying?

That is a really important consideration, as we touched on there. If your kids go through high school in the US you are on a path to them feeling very American and probably wanting to stay here even if you decide to go back to the UK.

1. Check out College Board which has a lot of info about preparing for university:

https://www.collegeboard.org

2. Green card holders are eligible for FAFSA loans. Scholarships all have their own rules - don't know much about them I'm afraid.

3. We went for half and half. My son is a senior at a state university. We have come back to the UK and our daughter is at a UK university. She is classed as an international student.

She's loving it but thinks she'll go back when she graduates.

So a lot depends on your long-term plans.

Hotscot Oct 21st 2014 5:05 pm

Pager?
Thought you'd have a radio watch by now...

Sally Redux Oct 21st 2014 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11445421)
Pager?
Thought you'd have a radio watch by now...

http://genre.singlewriter.com/files/...op-226x300.jpg

newadventure Oct 21st 2014 5:25 pm

Many thanks. Yes we are leaning towards staying as we are loving it here but appreciate if the green card doesn't go through we maybe heading back anyway. pros and cons for both options (ill mum friends and family at home but happy here and love weather and lifestyle). Having discussed the visa options with the lawyers I think it's now down to us to make the decision and this is not easy so I want to be as informed as I can be particularly about schooling and college.

Thanks again

Michael Oct 21st 2014 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 11445437)
Many thanks. Yes we are leaning towards staying as we are loving it here but appreciate if the green card doesn't go through we maybe heading back anyway. pros and cons for both options (ill mum friends and family at home but happy here and love weather and lifestyle). Having discussed the visa options with the lawyers I think it's now down to us to make the decision and this is not easy so I want to be as informed as I can be particularly about schooling and college.

Thanks again

Also once someone gets a green card, they can work at any job they desire.

Sally Redux Oct 21st 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 11445437)

Thanks again

Plenty of people do stay and fully commit.

Are you starting the green card process now?

Sally Redux Oct 21st 2014 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11445440)
Also once someone gets a green card, they can work at any job they desire.

Yes I missed that bit. That will be important for the kids fitting in.

newadventure Oct 21st 2014 5:43 pm

Yes starting the green card process now

Sally Redux Oct 21st 2014 5:56 pm

8th grader, you have plenty of time.

newadventure Oct 21st 2014 6:00 pm

thanks this is reassuring. Will you stay in the UK or head back here?

Sally Redux Oct 21st 2014 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 11445463)
thanks this is reassuring. Will you stay in the UK or head back here?

I ain't going nowhere ever again :lol:

fozzyb Oct 21st 2014 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11445465)
I ain't going nowhere ever again :lol:

A double negative. Hmmmm.