Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US health insurance

US health insurance

Old Feb 21st 2022, 11:40 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US health insurance

And he's also saying, in that document he wants me to sign, that "I'm free to choose any provider I choose ...". So if I ask him to use an Anesthesiologist that is in my network, he should comply.
It just means you have the right to ask. He has the right to say no - and then you either accept that, or use a different GE. You'll probably find either he, or the facility, has a contract with the Anesthesiologist and they either can't (contractually) or won't go looking for one that's in your network.

Healthcare really is a mess. It's a web of contracts, all set up for the benefit of the providers and not for the benefits of the patients.
Old Mar 4th 2022, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ss120396
I would look into the new federal law that went into effect this year, the "No Surprises Act", to see how it might apply here.

https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sh...-medical-bills

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/usc-brookings-schaeffer-on-health-policy/2021/02/04/understanding-the-no-surprises-act/

One of the provisions is to "Ban out-of-network charges and balance bills for certain additional services (like anesthesiology or radiology) furnished by out-of-network providers as part of a patient’s visit to an in-network facility."

"Starting January 1, 2022, it will be illegal for providers to bill patients for more than the in-network cost-sharing due under patients’ insurance in almost all scenarios where surprise out-of-network bills arise, with the notable exception of ground ambulance transport. Health plans must treat these out-of-network services as if they were in-network when calculating patient cost-sharing"

"Under the notice and consent process, an out-of-network provider must notify a patient of its out-of-network status and obtain the patient’s written consent to receive out-of-network services more than 72 hours before the service is delivered. The goal of such an exception is to allow patients who wish to do so to choose an out-of-network provider when a substantive choice exists. The law also establishes that there is no notice and consent exception allowed for services where patients are typically unable to select their specific provider. This “no exception group” is defined as any service relating to emergency medicine, anesthesiology, pathology, radiology, neonatology, diagnostic testing, and those provided by assistant surgeons, hospitalists, and intensivists."
Update on this. Apparently this new Federal Bill was modeled after 'AB-72', a California law that also bans 'Surprise billing' and has been in effect in CA since 2017. From what I'm reading so far, the new Federal law only applies when there is no competing state law, so in my case, CA's AB-72 takes precedence. There is a new law in the works, not yet passed as far as I can tell, called AB-510 in CA that attempts to update CA's AB-72 to the new Federal standard, since there are some improved provisions in the Federal law not present in CA's AB-72. But AB-510 has not yet passed as far as I can tell, so I'm CURRENTLY stuck being regulated by CA's AB-72, and NOT the new Federal law. Any opinions on this welcome! This page is what I'm reading to suggest that AB-510 is not in force - https://legiscan.com/CA/bill/AB510/2021 .

The new Federal law specifically excludes exceptions for Anesthesiologists and Pathologists (and others), and specifically says that you cannot make an exception when there is no 'in network' alternative available at the facility. These provisions would, I believe, specifically protect me but - this does not seem to be in the CA AB-72.

I'm going to do a deeper read of what CA's AB-72 does cover.

In the meantime - I called the Anesthesiologist's billing department and got a quote for the service. Based on a CPT code of 45385, and an estimated duration of 45 minutes, they said the billed amount would be $1,992. That's not the 'negotiated rate' or the 'max allowed' rate, just "what they would bill". But - I then asked about the 'cash price' for the service (aka 'self-pay' amount) and he said it was $240 !!!! He said this would not apply if I were in a PPO that covered out of network charges, but since I'm in an HMO which doesn't cover out-of-network, I would be eligible for the self-pay amount of $240. His advice was to play out the entire insurance process first, and if all else fails, request the self-pay amount.

EDIT TO ADD: I just read the details of AB-72, which may be the governing law in my case, being a resident of CA. It contains the following:
""... the bill would make an exception from this prohibition if the enrollee or insured provides written consent that satisfies specified criteria."
"(1) At least 24 hours in advance of care, the enrollee shall consent in writing to receive services from the identified noncontracting individual health professional.
(2) The consent shall be obtained by the noncontracting individual health professional in a document that is separate from the document used to obtain the consent for any other part of the care or procedure. The consent shall not be obtained by the facility or any representative of the facility. The consent shall not be obtained at the time of admission or at any time when the enrollee is being prepared for surgery or any other procedure."
(3) At the time consent is provided, the noncontracting individual health professional shall give the enrollee a written estimate of the enrollee’s total out-of-pocket cost of care. The written estimate shall be based on the professional’s billed charges for the service to be provided (...).""

So my interpretation of this is - I have to give written consent to be billed for outside services. That written consent has to be obtained by the Anesthesiologist (or Pathologist), NOT the facility. The written consent must include a written estimate of the charges.

The 'disclosure' letter I pasted above, where they say I may be billed by the Pathologist or Anesthesiologist, does not seem to come even close to these requirements - no estimate provided, and not provided by the Anesthesiologist / Pathologist. So I THINK I'm in the clear.

Last edited by Steerpike; Mar 4th 2022 at 8:28 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2022, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Update on this. ....
Further to my post above, I'm now of the opinion that I AM covered by the new Federal law, even though CA's AB-72 provides similar protections. I'm basing this on this page (originally posted by ss120396 above) - https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sh...-medical-bills . It has a section as follows:
"What if my state has a surprise billing law?

The No Surprises Act supplements state surprise billing laws; it does not supplant them. The No Surprises Act instead creates a “floor” for consumer protections against surprise bills from out-of-network providers and related higher cost-sharing responsibility for patients. So as a general matter, as long as a state’s surprise billing law provides at least the same level of consumer protections against surprise bills and higher cost-sharing as does the No Surprises Act and its implementing regulations, the state law generally will apply."

and this page - https://www.brookings.edu/blog/usc-b...es-act/#cancel
has this to say:
"Many states have existing laws regulating surprise out-of-network billing. For the most part, the new federal law will simply supersede state laws. ..."

So I think I'm in pretty good shape.
Old Mar 5th 2022, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So I think I'm in pretty good shape.
You should be. And thanks for posting all that valuable information. Otoh, if they do bill you for $$$ more than they legally are allowed, you are going to have to fight them. I had a situation with an urgent care bill where they clearly billed me for a service they didn't provide. My refusal to pay, along with an explanation for it, merely led to the unpaid portion of the bill being sent to a collections company. I did eventually manage to convince that company that they couldn't legally collect on the bill, but what a pita it was to get that far...