Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Government Do It Again

US Government Do It Again

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:52 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Government Do It Again

This time they convict a bloke based on a confession he gave whilst under arrest in Saudi Arabia...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4461642.stm

Now, I'm no bleeding heart liberal, but aren't the Saudi's infamous for torturing people
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Government Do It Again

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

Now, I'm no bleeding heart liberal, but aren't the Saudi's infamous for torturing people
They don't have the best human rights record, and threat of having bits chopped off is enough to make any confession suspect...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:29 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They don't have the best human rights record, and threat of having bits chopped off is enough to make any confession suspect...
... except that there were bags of evidence that Ahmed Omar Abu Ali, an American citizen, was engaged in illegitimate contacts with al Qaeda. When an American knowingly communicates with a sworn enemy of the United States, this provides more than enough grounds to lay charges of conspiracy against the United States. After all, al Qaeda have admitted that they intend to bring down European governments, the Queen, to attack Australians both in their country and abroad. To blow up hotels in any country that al Qaeda dislikes (like Jordan, two Jordanian hotels were blown up just a week or so ago).

I agree that it would have been better if the alleged confession was left out of the evidence presented to the Jury. The evidence of contacts between Ahmed and al Qaeda was sufficient to support the charge of conspiracy and de factor membership of a terrorist organization, either charge allows the Judge to impose a life sentence if found guilty by a Jury.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:38 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
... except that there were bags of evidence that Ahmed Omar Abu Ali, an American citizen, was engaged in illegitimate contacts with al Qaeda. When an American knowingly communicates with a sworn enemy of the United States, this provides more than enough grounds to lay charges of conspiracy against the United States. After all, al Qaeda have admitted that they intend to bring down European governments, the Queen, to attack Australians both in their country and abroad. To blow up hotels in any country that al Qaeda dislikes (like Jordan, two Jordanian hotels were blown up just a week or so ago).

I agree that it would have been better if the alleged confession was left out of the evidence presented to the Jury. The evidence of contacts between Ahmed and al Qaeda was sufficient to support the charge of conspiracy and de factor membership of a terrorist organization, either charge allows the Judge to impose a life sentence if found guilty by a Jury.
That's fine, but allowing the "confession" to be made admissable is a complete farce.
My point here is not about the conviction obtained so please don't cloud the issue here.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:58 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

That's fine, but allowing the "confession" to be made admissable is a complete farce.
My point here is not about the conviction obtained so please don't cloud the issue here.
And if you read my post, you will read that I agree that the confession was best left out of the evidence. I would have been distinctly happier if the Judge decided to keep the confession "evidence" out. There was no need to have the confession in, and in fact will provide grounds for Ahmed's legal team to mount an effective appeal, but the appeal will ultimately fail to keep Ahmed out of jail, he might get a retrial, but the evidence of knowing contacts with al Qaeda will enable a Jury to return at least one guilty verdict on at least one count, and that will be all it will take to keep Ahmed in jail for life. Ahmed is a de facto member of al Qaeda.

It is the job of the prosecution to get as much evidence as they feel it takes to secure a guilty verdict; it is up to the defense team to object, and the decision to allow or disallow evidence is left to the Judge, not the U.S. government. You are factually incorrect in blaming the U.S. government because it was not they who allowed in the confession, the Judge made that decision. But I agree, that it would have been better if the confession was left out and it would have been better if the prosecution did not argue for its inclusion. Imho, the confession has only caused problems and was, imho, not admissible as evidence, but the Judge, unfortunately in my view, decided the confession was admissible.

Ahmed is a danger to the U.S., he is a de factor member of al Qaeda and should remain in jail for life. He is a danger to the public, and a danger to citizens of other countries. He knowingly engaged in communications with al Qaeda, a sworn enemy of the U.S. and other countries.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:39 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

This time they convict a bloke based on a confession he gave whilst under arrest in Saudi Arabia...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4461642.stm

… and this Al-Qaeda terror suspect was convicted in N. Ireland without even a jury ... BBC reported today (11/24/05) that an Al-Qaeda terror suspect was convicted without a jury in Northern Ireland

Now, Maghaberry Prison is not exactly a holiday camp, at least not according to Amnesty International, should the British government let this Al-Qaeda terrorist out? I mean, he didn’t get a jury trial and he was held for over two years at Maghaberry Prison ... before his non-jury trial.

Now, I’m no bleeding heart liberal, but at least Ahmed got a jury trial.

d

Last edited by User Name; Nov 24th 2005 at 4:48 pm. Reason: Deleted duplicated word, "without".
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:41 pm
~ Relocated to Texas ~

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

So's Cheney.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:52 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
So's Cheney.
Talking of Cheney, its turns out the WMD mess wasnt our fault but Iraq's

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...04,curpg-3.cms