Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Gov stimulus package - who will it apply to?

US Gov stimulus package - who will it apply to?

Old Mar 18th 2020, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Gov stimulus package - who will it apply to?

It's been widely reported that the government are planning on sending cheques out to Americans. I have read elsewhere that this was done in 2008 (https://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/13/bush.stimulus/ ).

Is anyone on here familiar with how it worked last time? I'm curious if people with NIV like H1-Bs, E-2s etc that reside in the U.S. and pay taxes in the normal way will be captured by this plan, or whether it'll just be for USCs and LPRs?
Old Mar 18th 2020, 6:04 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Gov stimulus package - who will it apply to?

In 2008 it was only a limited increase in the scope of tax refunds, whereas what is being talked about, I think, is a much wider distribution of money, by check, to the US populace. I haven't seen any details yet of how it will actually work.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 6:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
In 2008 it was only a limited increase in the scope of tax refunds, whereas what is being talked about, I think, is a much wider distribution of money, by check, to the US populace. I haven't seen any details yet of how it will actually work.

I'm assuming that all the people who oppose "government interference" will be returning theirs, uncashed.

Old Mar 18th 2020, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

talkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond reputetalkto_menow has a reputation beyond repute

We received checks. On average it was $600 per household of 2. Single person received $300. I believe this operation was done twice in the past and it applied to all taxpayers.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 6:52 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm assuming that all the people who oppose "government interference" will be returning theirs, uncashed. ...
Why would they be opposed to receiving back money which the government shouldn't have taken from them in the first place?

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 18th 2020 at 7:57 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 8:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Why would they be opposed to receiving back money which the government shouldn't have taken from them in the first place?
That's pretty good. But it would be better if they had not participated in or benefited from any of the things the government had spent this money on - you know, roads, education (both directly and indirectly), armed forces, emergency services, safety requirements, etc etc etc
Old Mar 18th 2020, 8:25 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

That's pretty good. But it would be better if they had not participated in or benefited from any of the things the government had spent this money on - you know, roads, education (both directly and indirectly), armed forces, emergency services, safety requirements, etc. etc. etc. ....
I would question how much education some of them have benefited from.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty good. But it would be better if they had not participated in or benefited from any of the things the government had spent this money on - you know, roads, education (both directly and indirectly), armed forces, emergency services, safety requirements, etc etc etc
I don't get people who complain about taxes and such but then use the roads, send their kids to school, accept social security checks each month, etc etc.

If people don't want to pay taxes, I am fine with them moving out of society and live off the land, but if they want to be part of society and use the services provided by society, then they should be fine with contributing to taxes.

I often wonder if US people benefited more directly from their tax dollars if they would be more accepting of them.

Canadian's don't love taxes they pay, but not nearly as anti-tax as the US seems to be, but then Canada spends taxes on things people directly see and use in their daily life, medical care being a big one, we all know we would have less money in our pocket if we had US health system, taxes + healthcare in the US when I was living there = more than I pay in taxes in Canada, so while on paper the tax rate looks higher, if you take healthcare costs into account, you get a better deal overall in Canada.

Canadian's get more bang for their tax buck so I think are more accepting of taxes, and US taxes are not as low as the government wants people to think and taxes in Canada not as high as people think, many in the US could come out a head in Canada even with higher tax rates once all the credits are taken into account, parents with kids under a certain age get pretty nice tax credit if your a typical income earner.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 8:39 pm
Lt Cl (Rtd)

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
..... if you take healthcare costs into account, you get a better deal overall in Canada. ....
That probably isn't as true as you think it is, and likely depends on your income and tax situation . When I came to the US I did a calculation comparing my taxes and income in the UK with what I was paid and had deducted for taxes in the US, and if I included US health insurance costs as a tax, I was still significantly better off in the US. Property taxes were about a wash, though my house in the US is about four times the size of my home in London, and sales tax is also much less in the US than VAT in the UK.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 9:46 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read, the payments will be mans tested. Although I'm currently unemployed, I suspect my wife's earnings may be too high to receive anything.

Also, would a federal handout affect my citizenship application?
Old Mar 18th 2020, 10:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

A check from IRS won't affect your citizenship, as it's not a means- tested benefit.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2020, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

That probably isn't as true as you think it is, and likely depends on your income and tax situation . When I came to the US I did a calculation comparing my taxes and income in the UK with what I was paid and had deducted for taxes in the US, and if I included US health insurance costs as a tax, I was still significantly better off in the US. Property taxes were about a wash, though my house in the US is about four times the size of my home in London, and sales tax is also much less in the US than VAT in the UK.
I agree with this too. Whilst the UK does offer the safety net of healthcare for all residents regardless of income or employment status, as a working person who was/would still be in the 40% tax bracket, I am still better off here with the cost of healthcare premiums, even if I were to max out my annual out of pocket amount. And looking at cancer survival rates across the two countries, and the latest news regarding ICU beds and ventilators per 1000 population, I know where I'd rather be ill.

Old Mar 19th 2020, 12:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
A check from IRS won't affect your citizenship, as it's not a means- tested benefit.

Rene
It won't be from the IRS, based on what has been mooted. I'd also be surprised if it's means tested since that implies having to apply and therefore another massive bureaucracy.

For example, how are they going to get confirmation of current income? Or will it be based on previous tax returns? If based on previous tax returns, what about if that person has since lost their job? What if they have been laid off but are expected to return to work and will get back pay? Is it going to be taxed?

A flat $1,000 check to each person would be easier to administer, but still not that easy to catch everyone.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 2:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The reports I've seen uniformly say something along the lines of a check for "each American" -- but one doesn't know how literally to take that!
Old Mar 19th 2020, 4:00 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
The reports I've seen uniformly say something along the lines of a check for "each American" -- but one doesn't know how literally to take that!
If they do make it citizens only getting my citizenship last year would've paid for itself. Personally I think it makes sense for it to go to taxpayers, they're the ones footing the bill anyways and people who are already on benefits aren't in danger of losing their income. Half the wife's family are work shy Trump supporters so I'd find it hilarious if he gave them nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.