Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US girlfriend and getting married

US girlfriend and getting married

Old Apr 13th 2001, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Red Marauder is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a UK citizen and I've been flitting back and forth to c my girl in Florida and quite frankly its starting to get on my nerves. We've talked about getting married but she won't come to the UK cant blame her as I live in sunny Manchester!! So what happens if we get married in the States? A friend said I'd have 2 wait 2 years b4 I can get a job over there, is that true?
Old Apr 13th 2001, 3:50 am
Alvena Ferreira

Red Marauder wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
No, quite untrue. You can usually get work authorization within 90 days at most INS
offices, some even offer it the same day when you file adjustment of status in
person...info here: http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/touristframes.html alvena

Old Apr 13th 2001, 7:20 am
Beth Bell

Also- You might want to consider the Fianc=E9 visa- that's what me and my UK
used-to-be-my- boyfriend-now-my-fianc=E9 are doing- you'll find out info abou= t that
if you surf around on Alvena's site. With it- which can take anywhere from approx.
4-9 months from start to finish- you can start working almost immediately upon
landing in the US- after you've gotten your 90 day EAD (work authorization card) and
your Social Security number. After you marry- then you adjust status, and will apply
for your 1 year EAD. After that come= s your conditional green card, after that comes
your permanent green card. If you play your cards right, you should (in theory) be
able to work straight through. Sometimes processing times can muck things up a bit
after the 90 day card expires before you get your 1 year EAD- that is why its best to
plan on marrying very soon after you arrive on your 90 day K-1 visa. I can sooooo
sympathize with the trans-Atlantic journey bit getting tiresome (not to mention
expensive), For over a year now, my fianc=E9 and I have been doing the same thing- it
gets old! Good luck to you, whichever route you choose! Beth me (USC), my fianc=E9,
Paul (UKC) see a picture of us: http://www.bethandpaul.com
----------

[usenetquote2]>> I'm a UK citizen and I've been flitting back and forth to c my girl in Florida and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> quite frankly its starting to get on my nerves. We've talked about getting married[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> but she won't come to the UK cant blame her as I live in sunny Manchester!! So[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> what happens if we get married in the States? A friend said I'd have 2 wait 2[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> years b4 I can get a job over there, is that true?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 13th 2001, 1:20 pm
Sandy Gonzalez

Is your girlfriend a US citizen? If you two decide to get married, you can apply for
an EAD card which allows you to work WHILE your case is being processed. It takes 2
years to become a permanent resident. It also depends on if you go the k-1 route or
the I-130 route.

Sandy