Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Gas Cookers Experience

US Gas Cookers Experience

Old Apr 15th 2004, 9:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Gas Cookers Experience

Does anybody cook with a gas (cooker)?

Most of the manufacturers in the US are unfamilar to me so I'd like to hear about your experiences with gas cookers (ranges), particularly the US brands.

Thanks,
Old Apr 15th 2004, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Gas Cookers Experience

Originally posted by NC Penguin

Most of the manufacturers in the US are unfamilar to me so I'd like to hear about your experiences with gas cookers (ranges), particularly the US brands.

Thanks,

I have a Tappan gas hob and a Magic Chef oven, sepperate units...

Basically it's the same as UK except the temperature settings are different. ...
We didn't have a choice of make as we rent here, but I haven't had any problems with them at all.....

Oh one thing I do have a problem with in all gas ovens here is making cakes.... They all seem to burn on the bottom....

Never did in the UK.... LOL
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have Gas, works fine.

Bigger and took me some time to work out the terminology.

Broil for example.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Boiler
We have Gas, works fine.

Bigger and took me some time to work out the terminology.

Broil for example.
Ah... broil....

Definition.... turn on and put food under... wait for all smoke alarms in appartment to go off, then run round frantically with a tea towel to stop the noise as dinner burns.....
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: US Gas Cookers Experience

Originally posted by NC Penguin

Thanks,
Have had a GE for 6 years, love it for everything
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:42 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

We have separate oven and hob and bought a new oven by Frigidaire. It is gas and it is fine. They don't cook the same as back home but you do get used to that eventually and learn to change your way of doing things (for instance if your cake always burns on the bottom either put a cookie sheet on the shelf below your cake or put your cake tin in a larger tin with some water in the bottom). Personally, I find that when I use a British recipe I need to have the temperature a little higher
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by honeymommy
Ah... broil....

Definition.... turn on and put food under... wait for all smoke alarms in appartment to go off, then run round frantically with a tea towel to stop the noise as dinner burns.....
Think mine is a Whirlpool,I forget at the moment!,we bought it 14 years ago and haven't had any problems..so far (touch wood!),my fire alarms used to go crazy as well whenever I used the broiler,then I heard what to do to stop it smoking so much,when you broil, use the broiler pan and rack which came with the stove, line the pan with foil,then put about a cup of water in it before putting the rack and the food on!,works great!,and the foil makes for real easy clean up!
Related subject?more or less.....has anyone tried the newish cleaner called 'Dawn Quick Dissolve'?,it's absolutely fantastic!,it does exactly what the ad claims it will do!,and the 'Mr. Clean Magic Erasers' are great too,so far,I only bought them the other day!.......Sophia(Illinois)
Old Apr 16th 2004, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

we have a Kenmore .... and I've got to say its terrible ! the timer fell out the back of it exactly a year and a week after we bought it and the knob to adjust the oven temperature is just about hanging off .. ditton happened after the warranty was up. You are right about the broiler burning cakes etc bacause all the heat comes from the bottom, further complicated here by our lil problem with chipmunks using it as a convenient place to store stolen dog food !!
You definately get what you pay for

Jan
Old Apr 16th 2004, 9:21 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Whirlpool gas range and it's fine. Just used the self clean feature for the first time this week. Nice not having to deal with toxic fumes from oven cleaners.
Only one problem, I've only just recently realised that the temps I thought were the same as gas mark 5 for example where actually more like gas mark 3 or 4. No wonder everything has been taking too long to cook At last I'm getting crispy roast potatoes!!