Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US flight prices, ouch!

US flight prices, ouch!

Old Apr 11th 2005, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all
Default US flight prices, ouch!

I'm currently trying to book a few flights, and the prices are just rocketing. Hubby needs to get to Ottawa next week, I had a quick look online Thursday and it was $540 (how I wish I'd booked it then!) and today it's over $700!!!
Anyone got any suggestions for websites I can try (I usually use Orbitz) or is this just a upward trend right now?
Old Apr 11th 2005, 3:05 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: US flight prices, ouch!

Originally Posted by Lizzi
I'm currently trying to book a few flights, and the prices are just rocketing. Hubby needs to get to Ottawa next week, I had a quick look online Thursday and it was $540 (how I wish I'd booked it then!) and today it's over $700!!!
Anyone got any suggestions for websites I can try (I usually use Orbitz) or is this just a upward trend right now?
last minute flights in the US will cost you. The flights cost more as the day of travel nears. You could try showing up at the airport if its a direct flight.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 4:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at airlines own websites? I noticed today that American Airlines has a "guarantee" about offering the lowest fares. Might be worth your while...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 11th 2005, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that in the last 2/3 weeks prices have SHOT up.. for domestic and international flights...

oh and last minute can sometimes work to your advantage....
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:18 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Hi. I don't know if you'll be able to find a flight with available seats on such short notice, but it's worth a shot to try out Northwest. They have a special promotion but you need a special reference code for it. They mention a couple of codes on the website, though, so you won't need to hunt around. I have the actual paper certificate and for round trip flights between the US and Canada, it is $208 on Tues and Wed and $238 on Thur, Fri, Sat, and Mon. But you have to book at least a week in advance. I think there will most likely be a connecting flight but then again I don't know where you live. Read the fine print as they will always have rules and the tixx are nonrefundable, and try it out if you're ok with it.
http://www.nwa.com/features/123free2cert.html
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Try http://www.farechase.com for a quick and easy way of searching a few sites at once. Where are you living...or where is your nearest departure airport?

It's ALWAYS worth checking the airlines own sites too. Have you tried Travelocity.com?
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

looks like switching in newark or phily or detroit or chicago..
what airport does he need to fly out of?
i just got 460 out of richmond on a quick search via

http://www134.americanexpress.com/tr...ype=travelhome
Old Apr 12th 2005, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Well I tried travelocity.com this afternoon and switched airports (needed Norfolk but I put in afew others). Got it for $463 from Richmond as you did silvermine.
I really appreciate your help, many thanks guys.