Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Us expats not so different after all?

Us expats not so different after all?

Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Us expats not so different after all?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Mmmmm I used to have pikelets at my gran's house on a sunday with Kia-Ora.
I thought pikelets were a bit flatter than crumpets though?

I know what you mean Sarah...can't remember what we used to call the flat ones...but in Sheffield pikelets = crumpets. Yum.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:02 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Isn't that some sort of mystery meat....like spam?
Yes, indistinguishable from anything really. Best on a chewy bun with branston and (butter)
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Flat pancakes.

Sandwiches do NOT taste good without butter. I send mine back to the kitchen when my one lazy kid makes us sandwiches...he never puts butter on them and I can TASTE it....lol

Sandwiches without butter are an aquired taste...I just cut it out years ago when I wanted to lose weight...don't miss it now so don't bother. Always use it for husband and daughter. I also cut sugar out of tea and coffee at the same time.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:07 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I don't have sugar in my tea (cut out coffee starting Monday, got one helluva headache), regular 12 cup/'day drinker for over 20 years!, and am on diet so no bread for me for the foreseeable future....my biggest downfall, but since the bread here sucks so badly, excepting for the delicious Cuban bread, not been that much trouble.

Someone opened a Portuguese bakery selling all the continental goodies across the bay from me, and I daren't go near it, or I WILL fall off the horse...
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice
Smile Re: Us expats not so different after all?

Originally Posted by Tbag
I was reading a thread here the other day and someone said.........
"I am sure there is a USA Expats web site somewhere like us, complaining about all things British!" It made me curious and so I found this site www.americanexpats.co.uk

It is an amusing perspective hearing Americans grumble about hating Marmite, not being able to have "Bath & Body works" or buy "peroxide" in Boots and how they wish they had brought their waffle iron and measuring cups with them!

See "British Thangs" and under information the "tips on moving to the UK"

It was like reading about a bizarre parallel universe to our own, I guess at the end of the day we are all in the same boat wherever we are and wherever we are from! (Well almost)
I hope you find it worth checking out and get a giggle from the other side!
I really wish I had found that website when I first moved to the UK. My hubby is British and I lived there for seven years and was so lonely for the first couple of years. Even thought of joining the american ladies club but they were a bit too much lol but am now back in Fl but miss a lot about the UK the weather YES like it cooler hot is OK even good for hoildays but not so good to live in. The Old English pubs I loved really miss that and took me a really long time to get used to English bread and NOW I really miss that so I am whinging a bit lol but found a world market today and managed to get a few things British!!! after 8"s and a few other things thankfully we brought enough gravy and yorkshires to do awhile. Gravy in the USA is crap
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:46 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I don't have sugar in my tea (cut out coffee starting Monday, got one helluva headache), regular 12 cup/'day drinker for over 20 years!, and am on diet so no bread for me for the foreseeable future....my biggest downfall, but since the bread here sucks so badly, excepting for the delicious Cuban bread, not been that much trouble.

Someone opened a Portuguese bakery selling all the continental goodies across the bay from me, and I daren't go near it, or I WILL fall off the horse...
You're not on the Atkins Diet, are you?

NC Penguin
Old Jul 13th 2006, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MHolkham
I really wish I had found that website when I first moved to the UK. My hubby is British and I lived there for seven years and was so lonely for the first couple of years. Even thought of joining the american ladies club but they were a bit too much lol but am now back in Fl but miss a lot about the UK the weather YES like it cooler hot is OK even good for hoildays but not so good to live in. The Old English pubs I loved really miss that and took me a really long time to get used to English bread and NOW I really miss that so I am whinging a bit lol but found a world market today and managed to get a few things British!!! after 8"s and a few other things thankfully we brought enough gravy and yorkshires to do awhile. Gravy in the USA is crap
It feels like you've landed on an alien planet when you come back, doesn't it?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And this must be due for a re-issue ....one of the finest advice sites for US visitor to the UK ..a must read for all
http://www.brookview.karoo.net/BFA/
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:31 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MHolkham
I know exactly what you mean -- I had the same experience as an American expat in Chile, and then upon my return to the States. Bitched and whined about all sort of silly things, like they didn't have proper spaghetti sauce and it cost me US$20 to buy all the ingredients to make ONE batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Having to pay all our bills in person at the bank instead of simply sending a check through the mail. Not to mention our mailman, who tossed our mail on the front lawn -- rain or shine -- instead of just putting them in the mailbox.

And yet, when I got back home, it was the nice little things I took for granted that I truly missed. Freshly baked bread available at corner shops found a block away in any direction. Dulce de leche and onces. Returnable litre bottles of Coke, which cost half the price of brand new bottles. Being able to get around Santiago easily without needing a car. Free delivery of dog food directly to our house.

No matter where you live, the grass is always greener, at least in some respects. Moving back "home" is never the same as when you left.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You're not on the Atkins Diet, are you?

NC Penguin
God forbid!

Cutting out bread for a month. I'm addicted to white mountain and cuban bread and want to break the habit.

After that, I'm sticking to Ezekiel! One slice of that fills me right up.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I know exactly what you mean -- I had the same experience as an American expat in Chile, and then upon my return to the States. Bitched and whined about all sort of silly things, like they didn't have proper spaghetti sauce and it cost me US$20 to buy all the ingredients to make ONE batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies. Having to pay all our bills in person at the bank instead of simply sending a check through the mail. Not to mention our mailman, who tossed our mail on the front lawn -- rain or shine -- instead of just putting them in the mailbox.

And yet, when I got back home, it was the nice little things I took for granted that I truly missed. Freshly baked bread available at corner shops found a block away in any direction. Dulce de leche and onces. Returnable litre bottles of Coke, which cost half the price of brand new bottles. Being able to get around Santiago easily without needing a car. Free delivery of dog food directly to our house.

No matter where you live, the grass is always greener, at least in some respects. Moving back "home" is never the same as when you left.

~ Jenney
You evil woman. Here I am trying to not have a breakdown on this self-imposed cuban /white mountain bread exile and you go on about bakeries on every corner (we had those in Africa too,. fresh Portuguese rolls on the hour)......
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

As the saying goes, a little bit of what you fancy does you good.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 3:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I found this site www.americanexpats.co.uk
It wasn't lost.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
It wasn't lost.
Wow,
some of you guys really want us newbies to work fot it don't you?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Wow,
some of you guys really want us newbies to work fot it don't you?
it's like an apprenticeship......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.