Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Employment Question

US Employment Question

Old Dec 22nd 2002, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point
Question US Employment Question

Hi all, does anyone know what is the UK equivalent to a GED or a high school diploma in the US? And if you are a new immigrant to the States, do they accept overseas exam certificates when applying for employment? I don't have a degree
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Dr. Procter is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on what type of employment you are seeking.

All employers will want to know the *amount* of education you have had - and, of course, your previous experience including employment, which I think is just as important - if not more so - than education.

But you will be limited to the types of positions you can apply for with the amount of education you may have.

D.
Old Dec 26th 2002, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

powburn is an unknown quantity at this point

This foreign credentials evaluation service might be able to guide you in the right direction for USA employment and education equivalency.

Although experience is more important to land the job, most US non-immigrant work visas need a minimum education level to get the visa at all.
Old Dec 26th 2002, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. BTW, I have educational qualifications and plenty work experience. Just in case u all thinking I am a dropout
Old Jan 4th 2003, 1:39 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Employment Question

Originally posted by Karib
Hi all, does anyone know what is the UK equivalent to a GED or a high school diploma in the US? And if you are a new immigrant to the States, do they accept overseas exam certificates when applying for employment? I don't have a degree
I have described my A levels (naming subjects) as equivalent to a high school diploma. On that basis, I would say 2 AS levels as equivalent to an A level.

If you don't have a degree and are looking to enter the US on a work visa, you need to have 3 years experience for each year of the 4yr US degree in the field you wish to work in. i.e. a total of 12 yrs experience in the field. That's pretty tough criteria but that's what's required.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 9th 2003, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GED equiv

the only thing I can think of is an OND or NVQ type thing.
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 3:40 am
Just Joined

julian1963 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many foreign workers enter the US on the H1-B visa. There are many requirements to fulfil to obtain one, but these are the main ones:
1. Equivalent of a 4-year US Bachelor's degree. As one of the previous posts points out, this *may* be substituted by previous experience, 3 years per year of education missing, ie potentially 12 years. It is important to remember that the experience must be relevant to the position sought, and progressive.

2.An employer willing to sponsor you. In these times, it is difficult but not impossible if you work in a speciallized field, with a genuine shortage of qualified US applicants.

3.The employer must certify that the job will be paid the prevailing wage, ie the same as a comparable US worker.

Going back to point 1, all foreign qualifications must be certified by an accredited credentials evaluation service, who will consider experience also, and determine if an equivalency exists. INS always take these evaluations at face value, and it has been suggested that certain services are more generous than others, and a good lawyer knows whom to use.

If a company wants you badly, they may be prepared to use the premium processing service when applying to the INS for your H1-B. Use of this service guarantees that your application will be processed in 15 calendar days or less. The cost of this service, borne by the employer, is $1000, over and above the cost of the visa application fees.

The very best of luck.