British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Education system! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-education-system-842620/)

Joandripple Sep 7th 2014 11:21 am

US Education system!

We are currently waiting for Visa applications to be dealt with but have a question for anyone who can advise!

Our daughter is 15 and will be taking her GCSEs summer 2015. We are thinking that we will not actually finalise our move until she has finished her exams, my question is, obviously once she has done her exams she will (if in England) either go into 6th form or go to college so what is the US equivalent?

Thanks In advance for any help.

Jo

zzrmark Sep 7th 2014 12:29 pm

Re: US Education system!

Originally Posted by Joandripple (Post 11395415)
We are currently waiting for Visa applications to be dealt with but have a question for anyone who can advise!

Our daughter is 15 and will be taking her GCSEs summer 2015. We are thinking that we will not actually finalise our move until she has finished her exams, my question is, obviously once she has done her exams she will (if in England) either go into 6th form or go to college so what is the US equivalent?

Thanks In advance for any help.

Jo

Should she stay in the UK it is now a requirement that all students remain in education for what was once known as the 'sixth form' years, I believe that is now years 12 and 13, regardless of her exam results.
We now have the same leaving age as the US so she'll be required to attend high school - although I have no experience of just how immigrant children are entered into the system.
She will basically have to sit through more general education with added options of her choosing (similar set up to what she went through in year 9 ).

Once general education is finished she will (test results permitting) enter into university (or college as it's mostly referred to in the US) and sit a further two years of 'general education' before spending her last two years majoring in her chosen degree subjects

Edit: There are also technical colleges available to her once she has finished her compulsory education but I'm not sure of the educational set up within those. (I grew up in a family of 'educators' and despite being in the UK have married a high school teacher so educationally topics feature highly amongst my group of contacts!!! ;) )

mommapudding Sep 7th 2014 12:35 pm

I'm sorry. There isn't one, and gcse isn't recognized here. You may want to look at international baccalaureate schools, but as a word of caution, a recent thread showed up that you will be stuck paying international student fees for a university education for her unless you are in receipt of a green card. In state tuition, even if you hold a green card, has varying residency requirements too. Please ensure you fully look into the implications for university both in the UK, as you'll no longer be resident, and wherever you may be settling stateside. It presents a number of challenges.

MarylandNed Sep 7th 2014 1:35 pm

School systems and policies vary across the US - often they are the responsibility of individual counties within the state. Typically US high school is 4 years (grades 9 through 12). In my area "elementary school" is grades 1 through 5 (our elementary school also has grade K before grade 1), "middle school" is grades 6 through 8 and "high school" is grades 9 through 12. At 16 (after GCSE's), your daughter would probably be the equivalent of someone who has just finished grade 10 at a US high school (at least in terms of age).

The problem with entering grade 11 is that this is the most important year in terms of college applications. College applications are typically completed in the fall of grade 12 but colleges will be mainly looking at grades up through grade 11 because that's all they have to go on when they are first looking at applications (they'll often make offers conditional on keeping up good grades in grade 12). Something to consider if your daughter will be starting out US high school at grade 11.

As has already been mentioned, make sure that you research immigration and residency requirements for qualifying for "in state" tuition rates at the colleges/universities in the state that you will be moving to. Where I live, these requirements vary by college/university.

Joandripple Sep 7th 2014 1:40 pm

Thanx for all your replies. Don't seem to be thick or anything, but what are the US exams taken at the end of the UKs year 11 and are they of as much importance as our GCSE's?.

penguinsix Sep 7th 2014 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Joandripple (Post 11395517)
Thanx for all your replies. Don't seem to be thick or anything, but what are the US exams taken at the end of the UKs year 11 and are they of as much importance as our GCSE's?.

The standardized testing that matters is the SAT and/or ACT a pre-university test that is required for admissions to almost all universities.

A minority of states have an "exit exam" for high school, but there is no nationwide standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exit_examinations_in_the_United_States
Many states have assessment exams to determine how well the school/student is doing relative to their peers. These are rather annoying but are used for funding decisions and teacher retention. Most kids hate them and some parents have their children opt out of these exams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_achievement_tests_in_the_United_States

Joandripple Sep 7th 2014 2:34 pm

Thank you for that, but I suppose, what I am say is, are there any import exams that students take at the age for 16 (here in the UK 16 year olds take GCSE's). Then they have a choice to take 'A' levels, then go on to university. Or look for a job!

Sally Redux Sep 7th 2014 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Joandripple (Post 11395562)
Thank you for that, but I suppose, what I am say is, are there any import exams that students take at the age for 16 (here in the UK 16 year olds take GCSE's). Then they have a choice to take 'A' levels, then go on to university. Or look for a job!

The system is totally different.

They are constantly graded on all work and this gives them a grade point average (GPA). School really is mainly concerned with the achievement of a high school diploma, which is a basic level of education. If they want to go to university, it's up to them to make sure they are taking the right mix and level of classes, and take SAT, ACT, subject tests and AP tests through college board.

https://www.collegeboard.org

You will need to make sure the new school credits her for work done in the UK.

zzrmark Sep 7th 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Joandripple (Post 11395562)

Which state are you headed to?

Joandripple Sep 7th 2014 3:28 pm

We are going to Texas.

Weeze Sep 7th 2014 3:46 pm

Which part of Texas?

Joandripple Sep 7th 2014 3:54 pm

Not in Houston, Dallas!

Weeze Sep 7th 2014 6:38 pm

I believe the nearest IB school (as mentioned by mommapudding) is the Dallas International School.

Zoe Bell Sep 7th 2014 8:24 pm

texas-ib-schools

Will give you info on IB schools

petitefrancaise Sep 8th 2014 1:40 am

My daughter came here and started the IB course at a local high school. The IB is a 2 year long course which was what she wanted to do.

The problems come with transferring credit for the work done in the UK (in your case) to her new school. Each school district has it's own rules, some are more willing to transfer credit than others. Whichever school you choose, you should ask about their policy on this. You will need to be prepared with her school reports for the last 2 years showing her marks in tests throughout the term and the complete curriculum for each subject you would like credit for. Texas school districts will go through the curriculum and decide if the coursework matches enough for a credit to be issued.