Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US education for Brits

US education for Brits

Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:36 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US education for Brits

Originally Posted by mmksquirrel
Hi Ray...by E2 Business Visa. We have earmarked an 'A' rated school in Parkland but the business will be in Coral Springs.
Well good luck with that.

House prices: Expect around $600,000 for a decent place (3/2/2 probably zero lot line) in a reasonable area right now along with 10-15% property taxes (ie 6-9 grand a year). House Insurance...not a chance. Car insurance, around $5000 a year and then another $3000 if your kid is over 15.

Expect to work like a dog and expect the place to be like London on steroids as far as crowding goes.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:37 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Be aware that Florida schools are shit. And I mean Shit. Even native Floridians will tell you this. Florida is something like 48th out of the 50 states for schooling with only Alabama and (I think) one of the Carolinas coming below it. It is a very transient and over aged (retirement) state and hence there is not much geared to younger working families. Also the average wages in FL are crap.

My daughter found FL schools to be pretty poor.. Curriculum wise they are behind, there is little opportunity for sports and the kids are heavily worked in many of the wrong ways.
Not so fast Mr!!

Florida has leapt up seven places to number 29 on the top states for education list for 2006 - 2007, produced by Morgan Quitno .

Not great, but not quite as bleak as you paint it.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:37 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Middle Schools are fine...High School try to get them into a Tech School...my son found school as boring as hell...and he did the 4 year high school classes in 2....if he had gone to High School and not Tech...he would of graduated at 14 like all the other Brit kids we know of around here in MA...and what I would of done with him then what with the high cost of college is anyones guess...
Krizzy middle schools are a waste of time. Why do you think American kids are doing at 21 what UK kids do at 18?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:38 pm
Tool

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Not so fast Mr!!

Florida has leapt up seven places to number 29 on the top states for education list for 2006 - 2007, produced by Morgan Quitno .

Not great, but not quite as bleak as you paint it.
Well thats quite some improvement. Even if it isnt the actual school rankings. I still stand by the fact schooling in most of FLA is craptastic.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:44 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Well good luck with that.

House prices: Expect around $600,000 for a decent place (3/2/2 probably zero lot line) in a reasonable area right now along with 10-15% property taxes (ie 6-9 grand a year). House Insurance...not a chance. Car insurance, around $5000 a year and then another $3000 if your kid is over 15.

Expect to work like a dog and expect the place to be like London on steroids as far as crowding goes.
With house prices falling like they are in FL...you could end up getting a new house free with every packet of Cornflakes in the not to distance future....

We have a lovely 5 bed 2 living room 3 bath with pool for sale near us for $335k...3500 sq ft...taxes around $4k...Ins around $600/900 just a year old...lovely place...great neighbours...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:45 pm
Tool

Oh and by the way I just spotted you said Parklands for living. Hope you have a LOT of cash. ie $800,000 plus for a reasonable standard home. MInd you since Parklands backs onto the nothern edge of the South Florida Water management district you'll have plenty of visitors....ie gators.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:45 pm
Tool

With house prices falling like they are in FL...you could end up getting a new house free with every packet of Cornflakes in the not to distance future....

We have a lovely 5 bed 2 living room 3 bath with pool for sale near us for $335k...3500 sq ft...taxes around $4k...Ins around $600/900 just a year old...lovely place...great neighbours...
Not in PBC/Broward. You wont get shit in Parklands for under 700k thats half decent. And crap is selling for 600k.

Last edited by Old William; Nov 27th 2006 at 5:48 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:49 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Krizzy middle schools are a waste of time. Why do you think American kids are doing at 21 what UK kids do at 18?
I found my sons middle school first class...High School was a different story...even at Tech...he was bored with the school work...in shop I could not ask for a better education for him...top training with first class teachers...shame that the rest of the school let the shop classes down...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:55 pm
Tool

I found my sons middle school first class...High School was a different story...even at Tech...he was bored with the school work...in shop I could not ask for a better education for him...top training with first class teachers...shame that the rest of the school let the shop classes down...
A lot of it is hit and miss unfortunately. Our daughters middle school was utter pants. The high in the area had a good record though. All said and done she much prefers UK schooling to FL schooling though....The lack of sports and recess was something she always hated. No morning break, 20 mins lunch, no pm break and only 1 sports session a week kind of sucks.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:24 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

A lot of it is hit and miss unfortunately. Our daughters middle school was utter pants. The high in the area had a good record though. All said and done she much prefers UK schooling to FL schooling though....The lack of sports and recess was something she always hated. No morning break, 20 mins lunch, no pm break and only 1 sports session a week kind of sucks.
They had breaks in the morning...not sure how long for lunch...but he finished at 2:30...he also played ice hockey and baseball...
In High School I found things like sports were taking up to much time...my son dropped hockey because of the hours you needed to put into it...he is a great skater...not great at hockey...but needed on the team because of his speed...but getting up at 4 each morning for practice...school..then games every evening and away games at weekends did get a bit much...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:04 pm
Tool

They had breaks in the morning...not sure how long for lunch...but he finished at 2:30...he also played ice hockey and baseball...
In High School I found things like sports were taking up to much time...my son dropped hockey because of the hours you needed to put into it...he is a great skater...not great at hockey...but needed on the team because of his speed...but getting up at 4 each morning for practice...school..then games every evening and away games at weekends did get a bit much...
As I said hit n miss. In all three of our daughters schools there was no mid morning break. Lunch was half an hour and no other break. She started Elementary school at 7.30 am, finished at 2.30 pm and most days had homework till 5ish. Middle school was 8.30 am to 3.30 pm with a couple hours homework and no recess.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Florida is something like 48th out of the 50 states for schooling with only Alabama and (I think) one of the Carolinas coming below it.
I believe AZ has the rare honour of supporting everyone else in that league table...

Last edited by gsnichol; Nov 27th 2006 at 7:40 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:33 pm
Tool

Originally Posted by gsnichol
I believe AZ has the rare honour of supporting that league table...
Aaah Arizona is it? Having had first hand experience of FL's wonderful scholastic programs you have my deepest sympathies if AZ is worse.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:45 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

MA was top till last year...but I would still put the English school system way above MA...so goodness knows what the States way down the list are like... :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:47 pm
Tool

MA was top till last year...but I would still put the English school system way above MA...so goodness knows what the States way down the list are like... :scared:
Crap in a word. Our daughters education was one of our top reasons for returning home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.