Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US education for Brits

US education for Brits

Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

mmksquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Post US education for Brits

Hi, I am considering moving to Florida and wondered whether any other Brit families would be willing to give us the benefit of their views on how easy or difficult it is for teenage British children to dovetail into US middle/high schools. Thanks.

Last edited by mmksquirrel; Nov 27th 2006 at 3:26 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US education for Brits

Originally Posted by mmksquirrel
Hi, I am considering moving to Florida and wondered whether any other Brit families would be willing to give us the benefit of their views on how easy or difficult it is for teenage British children to dovetail into US middle/high schools. Thanks.
Depends on the child..some find it easy ..some more difficult but most kids soon adapt ..much more easily than the adults..and of course the area you intend to be ..could end up beig a factor

What would be your method of entry.... visa wise
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I see you've already started the same thread in the USA forum...this is the Meet and Greet Forum...so tell us a little about yourself. Welcome to BE BTW.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I moved this to the US forum because it ain't an intro thread.

Do a search though on some peoples experiences, a lot depends on where abouts in FL though, but FL isn't known for having great schools...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

My son found it hard to dovetail into middle school. They have only 6 subjects here, done at the same time every day and generally in a more formal setting. After 1 year he's all right though. Because of the greater emphasis on them, I find maths, science and PE to be at a higher standard.

School districts do vary a lot though and we had to pay top dollar for a house in a good school district.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:10 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that Florida schools are shit. And I mean Shit. Even native Floridians will tell you this. Florida is something like 48th out of the 50 states for schooling with only Alabama and (I think) one of the Carolinas coming below it. It is a very transient and over aged (retirement) state and hence there is not much geared to younger working families. Also the average wages in FL are crap.

My daughter found FL schools to be pretty poor.. Curriculum wise they are behind, there is little opportunity for sports and the kids are heavily worked in many of the wrong ways.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Depends on the child..some find it easy ..some more difficult but most kids soon adapt ..much more easily than the adults..and of course the area you intend to be ..could end up beig a factor

What would be your method of entry.... visa wise
Hi Ray...by E2 Business Visa. We have earmarked an 'A' rated school in Parkland but the business will be in Coral Springs.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ray...by E2 Business Visa. We have earmarked an 'A' rated school in Parkland but the business will be in Coral Springs.
Hope you are way along into the system ..and not just applied ...
The wait time is stupid
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was 11 when we moved to NJ. She settled in school without any major problems.

I don't know how old your children are...but if they are considering going to uni. here be warned...it is very expensive. To prevent paying international fees at UK unis. the child must have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to starting uni. Just something for you to think about.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: US education for Brits

Originally Posted by Sally
My son found it hard to dovetail into middle school. They have only 6 subjects here, done at the same time every day and generally in a more formal setting. After 1 year he's all right though. Because of the greater emphasis on them, I find maths, science and PE to be at a higher standard.

School districts do vary a lot though and we had to pay top dollar for a house in a good school district.
Thanks Sally. Doesn't sound encouraging. And I know what you mean about house prices (together with associated Property Taxes) in the better districts.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter was 11 when we moved to NJ. She settled in school without any major problems.

I don't know how old your children are...but if they are considering going to uni. here be warned...it is very expensive. To prevent paying international fees at UK unis. the child must have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to starting uni. Just something for you to think about.
My son would be starting there at age 14 unless, if I have understood you correctly, we stay here in the UK until he is 18 in order to take advantage of more favourable uni fees there.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Hope you are way along into the system ..and not just applied ...
The wait time is stupid
Yeah. Worse still was the news that despite my mother being a US citizen for some 30 years, it would take nearly 8 years to get in on an immigrant visa!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:35 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Middle Schools are fine...High School try to get them into a Tech School...my son found school as boring as hell...and he did the 4 year high school classes in 2....if he had gone to High School and not Tech...he would of graduated at 14 like all the other Brit kids we know of around here in MA...and what I would of done with him then what with the high cost of college is anyones guess...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My son would be starting there at age 14 unless, if I have understood you correctly, we stay here in the UK until he is 18 in order to take advantage of more favourable uni fees there.

Correct....he would have to be resident in the UK from the age of 15 to take advantage of UK uni fees at age 18.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
I moved this to the US forum because it ain't an intro thread.

Do a search though on some peoples experiences, a lot depends on where abouts in FL though, but FL isn't known for having great schools...
Noted with thanks Bob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.