Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US economy: set to implode?

US economy: set to implode?

Old Dec 1st 2012, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US economy: set to implode?

Originally Posted by JRG67
I wanna marry Boner
Not something I'd want to buy tickets to though..
Old Dec 1st 2012, 8:36 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Not something I'd want to buy tickets to though..
Is it cos I is black? (Sacha Baron Cohen)
Old Dec 1st 2012, 9:45 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an easy primer for understanding the US economy:

Step 1: Find out what conservatives believe to be true
Step 2: Assume the opposite
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
Is it cos I is black? (Sacha Baron Cohen)
You do realise that when you feel the need to explain your jokes, it means you are no longer British, right?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

snufkinette is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I think it's difficult in many parts of the world to gain employment. We Skyped my brother yesterday and made it clear that the wheels were already in motion for our move, and he replied that the Research Triangle was a good place to find work. Funnily enough, NC is where we want to be!

I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has recently found work in NC, whether in Charlotte, the Research Triangle, or wherever! My husband ideally wants to continue working in IT, but he is willing to do pretty much anything just so he has work.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 12:31 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
You do realise that when you feel the need to explain your jokes, it means you are no longer British, right?
Yep! It's frightening!
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:29 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

The Brookings Institute has an interesting map of strongest-to-weakest economies around the world as of 2011-12. It's based on city economies, not nations'. If you run your mouse over a city, the city name & its economic figures appear in a box to the side.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/in...etro-monitor-3

Shows that (for now) many parts of the US are doing better than the UK and Western Europe. How long that will last is debatable however. And of course the main lessons the map shows through stark contrast is how very well China, the Far East, the Middle East, Central America, and even Russia (Moscow only) are doing compared to ANY of the West.

Last edited by WEBlue; Dec 3rd 2012 at 2:48 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:57 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
And of course the main lessons the map shows through stark contrast is how very well China, the Far East, the Middle East, Central America, and even Russia (Moscow only) are doing compared to ANY of the West.
I'm not surprised. In the last year I've been to train in Bogota, Rio, and Buenos Aires, in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and in Aberdeen and Hannover. Of course I traveled as an oil-industry businesswoman to prosperous areas of those cities. I'm not saying that I sensed anything wrong in particular, aside from the appalling favelas in Rio. But I got a sense in Buenos Aires and Abu Dhabi particularly of furious growth, and in Aberdeen and Hannover of quiet, what-does-the-future-hold-for-us breath-holding.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:09 pm
Banned

http://www.ministryoftofu.com/2011/1...made-in-china/

Kind of sums it up!!
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:31 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
He's right.

How supposedly intelligent people can't figure out that the nation cannot survive another 4 years of Obama's fiscal policy is baffling. I guess they need him there to keep paying for all their stuff, and they just hope it will work out somehow. The electorate voted for more of the same promotion of the sickening entitlement society and borrowing gazillions of Yen to pay for it with no clue about how to pay the money back - and that's what they'll get.

Printing and borrowing money ad infinitum is no recipe for economic survival, so we have no way to avoid a total economic reset. And those who think "it'll be ok, don't worry about it" are simply deluded.
What fucking "stuff", ffs?!?!?

Idiot.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie

Idiot.
Hard to say, because on December 1 at 8:14am I asked him for some specifics and he never responded! I guess he's still looking! I suppose magical thinking is low on specifics..
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Idiot.
it seems to be a line the Republicans are clinging to - Stephen Colbert was quite funny about it, pointing out that white people don't WANT stuff, they HAVE stuff.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
it seems to be a line the Republicans are clinging to - Stephen Colbert was quite funny about it, pointing out that white people don't WANT stuff, they HAVE stuff.
If Obama would take away some of my stuff I would definitely vote him in a third term. I'm thinking all my old computers and shit in the loft. (I'm white BTW.)
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:42 pm
Banned

Idiot.
It was a spoof wasn't it???
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
If Obama would take away some of my stuff I would definitely vote him in a third term. I'm thinking all my old computers and shit in the loft. (I'm white BTW.)
Are you implyin us blackies are thieves or summin??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.