Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US or Dubai?

US or Dubai?

Old May 3rd 2008, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US or Dubai?

Originally Posted by Dan725
Oh aye, no doubt there is tons of cool stuff there. This is one of my fave places - wouldn't want to be paying the aircon bill, however!!:
cheaper to get a live in maid to fan you off....oh err
Old May 3rd 2008, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
cheaper to get a live in maid to fan you off....oh err
Eh? It'd take an entire army of maids to fan that below zero real snow indoor ski-slope......
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who spent 9 years living in Sharjah and Dubai prior to moving to the US18 months ago I guess I could offer some personal advice on this subject.
If you don’t care about your fellow members of the human race then Dubai is the place, all the sci-fi construction is built by people who are paid less than $200 a month (if they get paid on time). Can you imagine the quality and pride that goes into building a multi-million dollar home or apartment tower when you haven’t been paid for 3 to 6 months? So many villas are simply photocopies of their neighbors yet cost more than many people make in a lifetime, there is no character from one to the next lump of concrete. Many people who are currently resident are now questioning if Dubai is worth it any more, inflation is unofficially above 20%, service sector workers are being squeezed between rising housing, food and schooling costs matched with limited salary increases. Families are being separated as husbands are sending family’s home, the gap between the ‘use to have’ and the ‘have not’ laborers who live in concentration camps is narrowing. Single bedroom apartments costing $10,000 a year are now being shared by 6-8 bachelors (male or female) or even 2 families with kids as a way try to make ends meet.
When I first went to Dubai it was possible to save money and have a satisfactory lifestyle, presently people are spending all they earn (and more) just trying to maintain what they think is practical.
All I can say if you still want to make the move is make sure you get
· At least 2 months salary moving in allowance if moving from the US as all appliances are 240v 50hz, nothing from the US will work.
· a watertight foreign assignment contract with a multinational company with lots of money, tax free is ok but remember your wife will almost surely not work in Dubai so you have to count on loosing that income,
· your housing allowance has to be in excess of 50% of annual salary ($75,000 is a minimum at today’s market rate),
· children’s schooling must be fully funded, if you can get them into a school, all the good ones have waiting lists into next year,
· at least business class travel home for the family at least once if not twice per year, summer time highs in excess of 45C force the wife and kids home for 2 months, sure everywhere is air-conditioned but you still have to park the car at the mall and walk in it unless you are the Sheik
· a fully funded company car, insurance is high and accidents are frequent, car values for expats are like leaky buckets.
· Full repatriation at the end of your contract.

I know this may sound like doom and gloom but I think you have to be there for more than a passing business trip to see the reality underneath the façade that is often seen as modern Dubai.
I initially I enjoyed my time there but now I never want to go back and work there again.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, it's not like people aren't treated like poo over here either though...and yeah substandard pay is terrible, but it's also more money than they would have gotten else where in the region, or they wouldn't be moving there to work, which is just an indication of the sad state of affairs in general...
Old May 4th 2008, 1:53 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, it's not like people aren't treated like poo over here either though...and yeah substandard pay is terrible, but it's also more money than they would have gotten else where in the region, or they wouldn't be moving there to work, which is just an indication of the sad state of affairs in general...
There is more in life then booze and money.Its better to have a non working wife then the wife developing relationship with boss and ending into bed with him..Its very common here in US.There is no family life and no family support from govt. in tax,medical,education,single parents etc. for single earning families in US.On top of this these is a law for everything even sitting on a toilet seat have a law.

Last edited by smurtaza; May 4th 2008 at 2:03 am.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
There is more in life then booze and money.Its better to have a non working wife then the wife developing relationship with boss and ending into bed with him..Its very common here in US.There is no family life and no family support from govt. in tax,medical,education,single parents etc. for single earning families in US.On top of this these is a law for everything even sitting on a toilet seat have a law.
You're absolutely right about that. My girlfriends and I have all gotten where we are today by sleeping with the boss.

Edited to add ... of course if you're not working ... there's always the pool boy.
Old May 4th 2008, 2:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

JeeZ ..what sort of weirdo are you....
Old May 4th 2008, 3:01 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

You know Smurtaza that has to be the most obvious wind-up I've seen yet. Try again for more subtlety. You might just get me in the argument.
Old May 4th 2008, 3:11 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Que?
Old May 4th 2008, 4:55 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You know Smurtaza that has to be the most obvious wind-up I've seen yet. Try again for more subtlety. You might just get me in the argument.
God bless AMERICA!ON GOD WE TRUST!
Old May 4th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

God bless AMERICA!ON GOD WE TRUST!
Well Smurtaza - if you really believe what you say to be true - and are still considering living in the U.S. - then I'm worried about your values. What you have described is not reality for many of us - but then again we live here and might know a thing or two about this country.

I don't know enough about Dubai to make an assessment - but it seems your choice is clear. Or it should be given your beliefs about this country.
Old May 4th 2008, 11:41 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Well Smurtaza - if you really believe what you say to be true - and are still considering living in the U.S. - then I'm worried about your values. What you have described is not reality for many of us - but then again we live here and might know a thing or two about this country.

I don't know enough about Dubai to make an assessment - but it seems your choice is clear. Or it should be given your beliefs about this country.
Mr Smartass is just a plonker...but his Boss has been shagging his wife ..poor bastard ...
Old May 4th 2008, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Mr Smartass is just a plonker...but his Boss has been shagging his wife ..poor bastard ...
The very thought of shagging my boss ... I don't know whether to vomit or ...
Old May 4th 2008, 5:22 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
You're absolutely right about that. My girlfriends and I have all gotten where we are today by sleeping with the boss.

Edited to add ... of course if you're not working ... there's always the pool boy.
My too....it's a good thing that was an option for me. I don't know how I would have ever gotten by (esp. after my divorce)
Old May 4th 2008, 5:25 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

There is more in life then booze and money.Its better to have a non working wife then the wife developing relationship with boss and ending into bed with him..Its very common here in US.
Dubai.. bored house wifes.. hmmm..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.