Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US or Dubai?

US or Dubai?

Old May 2nd 2008, 2:27 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US or Dubai?

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yea, ditto. Sounds like you already have a preconceived (and somewhat wrong) attitude about the US so go to Dubai and get a tan.
He's not wrong at all about the US, it's exactly as he says. He'd be much happier in Dubai...
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
US is famous for its problems and troubles.Tax,Visa,inflation,petrol prices,no family assistance, medical insurance, car insurance, school fees.....i mean give at least a single authentic reason to pay tax there?
Apart from the tax it appears that Dubai has all of the same problems and troubles. A visa may be easy to get in Dubai if you have an employer to sponsor you but it's the same for the US for some.

I'm sure it's a great place to live for a few years if you are looking to make some quick cash and are prepared to live the cocooned life of an expat to do that. Eventually you'll have to move on though.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:04 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
It may be the most liberal of the UAE but it is still a Muslim country and as such there are restrictions on what women (as well as everyone else) can do. And the heat would impose even more constraints, that I personally couldn't live with. The fact that I'm not an 'expat wife' probably also plays a big part.

And I've done the whole expat bubble thing. It's fun for a while but for most people there comes a time when you want to put down roots and build a home. We wanted to do that before our daughter started school which is why we did so much to get out of our last country and come here in time for that. I can't see that being possible in Dubai for most people with a young family looking for some stability.
I heard that your internet is restricted also in regards to what the government thinks is appropriate. And this may be a myth, but someone told me that you couldn't even order/buy tame 'marital aids.'
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I heard that your internet is restricted also in regards to what the government thinks is appropriate. And this may be a myth, but someone told me that you couldn't even order/buy tame 'marital aids.'
It's not a myth MH will confirm it, she cant even see most of the link's or certain types of pictures that are put up on here and TBH it's all very tame because of the rules.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Dubai is future and US is sinking economy. OZ/US is sometime hot too but Dubai is far better because its tax free....Plus the rules, visa troubles in US are all well known. Going to US means trouble because E-3 visa to US Passport is 15 years of planning.
What a mong statement that is. Dubai is a "house of cards" if you ask me. Go there, make big money, live a colonial master life (which, I might add, some people do to a truly sickening degree and should be ashamed of themselves) - but then bugger off before it all comes crashing down. A fair bit of work is on iffy contracts, if yours closes out, away you go anyway. A temporary place to live it big is all it is.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a myth, they (Etisalat) do block a lot of sites. The newer service Du is not so bad, as I understand it.

Other restrictions are like its sometimes awkward to buy booze, and they have certain holidays which interfere, but to be honest, these restrictions are really not noticeable 99% of the time. People who fall foul of the law can have it harsh (sometimes rightly so, sometimes wrongly) - but it is what it is, if you respect the society, its not problematic in any way.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
What a mong statement that is. Dubai is a "house of cards" if you ask me. Go there, make big money, live a colonial master life (which, I might add, some people do to a truly sickening degree and should be ashamed of themselves) - but then bugger off before it all comes crashing down. A fair bit of work is on iffy contracts, if yours closes out, away you go anyway. A temporary place to live it big is all it is.
Temporary is right, you never know when all hell could kick off over there remember what happened to the rich Brit's that lived in Singapore in the 2nd world war.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:51 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather gnaw my own foot off than live in Dubai. Every time I see pictures of Dubai it reminds me of the planet Coruscant in the Star Wars movies. No thanks.

Old May 2nd 2008, 3:53 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I'd rather gnaw my own foot off than live in Dubai. Every time I see pictures of Dubai it reminds me of the planet Coruscant in the Star Wars movies. No thanks.

http://www.planetizen.com/files/oped/20050531.jpg
I agree with you there.

I've never even visited and have no desire to. I have Brit friends that just sold a shipping business there. Their son ran the Dubai end of it....I don't think he and his new wife are going to shed any tears when they return to England.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

UK US UAE is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm leaving USA after 3 quality years for Abu Dhabi or Dubai in a few months time.

Done a lot of research and visited and it's nothing short of fantastic over there. But again, to mirror other peopl's points, it depends what you're looking for.

Family life sounds superb with tonnes to do for everyone. General standard of living is incredibly high.

Salary levels are higher than UK and tax free. Cost of living no higher than UK so you will be quids in.

USA has as many archaic laws as anywhere. There is a law for everything here, it's incredible. Just go to the beach and spend 10 mins reading the rules!

In talking to many colleagues in Dubai, the only downside is the summer heat.

Personally just gonna try it for a while and bugger off if I don't like it.

Cheers...

P.S: Is anyone in Nashville, TN?!?!?
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by elfman

http://www.planetizen.com/files/oped/20050531.jpg
ha, lol, what you actually mean is that is looks the Coruscant - but in the process of being built!

I took this one last year, its from a different angle to the tourist shots........

Edit: I do have to add, I do actually like the place, and even more so Abu Dhabi. I think people could do far worse than spend some time there......but it is only temporary - doesn't matter if its a year or if its 20 years, for Westerners its largely a working/long holiday place, not a permanent retirement one.
Attached Thumbnails US or Dubai?-p1030384.jpg  

Last edited by Dan725; May 2nd 2008 at 5:51 pm.
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like some of the ones my hubby took. Oh and he got the 6-star hotel he was staying at in there too for good measure :curse:
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looks like some of the ones my hubby took. Oh and he got the 6-star hotel he was staying at in there too for good measure :curse:
Oh aye, no doubt there is tons of cool stuff there. This is one of my fave places - wouldn't want to be paying the aircon bill, however!!:
Attached Thumbnails US or Dubai?-p1030371.jpg  
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It may be the most liberal of the UAE but it is still a Muslim country and as such there are restrictions on what women (as well as everyone else) can do. And the heat would impose even more constraints, that I personally couldn't live with. The fact that I'm not an 'expat wife' probably also plays a big part.
As long as your married, it's pretty easy going, even drink with a booze license, it's not like the KSA where you ain't allowed to drive...
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live, most only have one ISP, which does block certain stuff, but there is the freezone which is more open...but the ME ain't the only country that does this, and there are proxies to get around it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.