Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US or Dubai?

US or Dubai?

Old May 2nd 2008, 2:27 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question US or Dubai?

Hi,

I am a family man with wife and 2 kids. I may land in US on E-3 Visa.I got job offers from US and Dubai.Dubai is future....

Where to go and which one to select?

Thanks
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US or Dubai?

It depends entirely on what you want for you and your family.
I couldn't live in Dubai. Absolutely no way. It's way too hot and the restrictions would be way too much for me to handle. That's not the way I want to live. Plus there's only two things to see - concrete or sand.
(My husband has been there for business btw so I do have some real life experience of the place).
But there are places in the US I also wouldn't want to live. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who would prefer Dubai over the US.
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Where in the US? How old are the kids?

All depends on what package you get, you'd have to have a huge package for dxb as the rental is mental, annual upfront and all that, as well as the driving being insane and schooling really expensive if your able to get kids in them, so that's all stuff to be found in your package....and there's plenty of threads on cost of living and packages in the ME section as well as the wiki.

Similar concerns over here regarding medical insurance, holiday etc....

I don't know all that much about the Oz E3 visa though, would that allow the other half to work? What about the kids if old enough?
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:16 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
It depends entirely on what you want for you and your family.
I couldn't live in Dubai. Absolutely no way. It's way too hot and the restrictions would be way too much for me to handle. That's not the way I want to live. Plus there's only two things to see - concrete or sand.
(My husband has been there for business btw so I do have some real life experience of the place).
But there are places in the US I also wouldn't want to live. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who would prefer Dubai over the US.
Which restrictions are you talking about? Dubai is the most liberal state in the UAE with plenty of bars, nightlife, concerts etc! (Bon Jovi are in concert there soon).

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/dubai/?u...edium=redirect

I and my spouse would quite happily live there and very nearly did and I liked what I saw when we went on a 'look-see' visit a few years ago (but like most expat wives & families would go on 'home leave' during the hot summer months eg. June-late August). I know a number of people who've enjoyed living there - including some who also lived in Houston, Texas and hated it there!

Dubai is not the sort of place where one would want to live indefinitely but with a very low income tax rate (and as a sign of the times - dirt cheap petrol LOL (plus the opportunity to have inexpensive household help) it's a good opportunity for many expats to make a shed-load of money for a few years; it's probably not quite so attractive to Americans who have to pay tax to Uncle Sam based on worldwide income, but it seems that the O/P is an Aussie or a Brit so this means paying much less tax than back home.

Do push for a housing allowance and international school fees and medical insurance, home leave airfares, club membership, perhaps company car/lease etc. though.

O/P - You can glean lots of info on living in Dubai - including school info, nursery schools etc. and info the other Emirates here (although your wife might find it more interesting LOL!):

http://www.expatwoman.com/

For a position in the US it's unusual to get the full expat 'package' ie. no school fees, company car, club membership etc.

Can you go for a 'look-see' visit to both countries? You need to be a bit more specific on where you would be going to in the US though....like Oz it's a huge place.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

It may be the most liberal of the UAE but it is still a Muslim country and as such there are restrictions on what women (as well as everyone else) can do. And the heat would impose even more constraints, that I personally couldn't live with. The fact that I'm not an 'expat wife' probably also plays a big part.

And I've done the whole expat bubble thing. It's fun for a while but for most people there comes a time when you want to put down roots and build a home. We wanted to do that before our daughter started school which is why we did so much to get out of our last country and come here in time for that. I can't see that being possible in Dubai for most people with a young family looking for some stability.

Last edited by chicagojlo; May 2nd 2008 at 4:01 am.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:54 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

I am a family man with wife and 2 kids. I may land in US on E-3 Visa.I got job offers from US and Dubai.Dubai is future....

Where to go and which one to select?

Thanks
Go into the ME section of this site and ask the same question
there is usually a few sober people there ...
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:03 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: US or Dubai?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Which restrictions are you talking about? Dubai is the most liberal state in the UAE with plenty of bars, nightlife, concerts etc! (Bon Jovi are in concert there soon).

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/dubai/?u...edium=redirect

I and my spouse would quite happily live there and very nearly did and I liked what I saw when we went on a 'look-see' visit a few years ago (but like most expat wives & families would go on 'home leave' during the hot summer months eg. June-late August). I know a number of people who've enjoyed living there - including some who also lived in Houston, Texas and hated it there!

Dubai is not the sort of place where one would want to live indefinitely but with a very low income tax rate (and as a sign of the times - dirt cheap petrol LOL (plus the opportunity to have inexpensive household help) it's a good opportunity for many expats to make a shed-load of money for a few years; it's probably not quite so attractive to Americans who have to pay tax to Uncle Sam based on worldwide income, but it seems that the O/P is an Aussie or a Brit so this means paying much less tax than back home.

Do push for a housing allowance and international school fees and medical insurance, home leave airfares, club membership, perhaps company car/lease etc. though.

O/P - You can glean lots of info on living in Dubai - including school info, nursery schools etc. and info the other Emirates here (although your wife might find it more interesting LOL!):

http://www.expatwoman.com/

For a position in the US it's unusual to get the full expat 'package' ie. no school fees, company car, club membership etc.

Can you go for a 'look-see' visit to both countries? You need to be a bit more specific on where you would be going to in the US though....like Oz it's a huge place.

Dubai is future and US is sinking economy. OZ/US is sometime hot too but Dubai is far better because its tax free....Plus the rules, visa troubles in US are all well known. Going to US means trouble because E-3 visa to US Passport is 15 years of planning.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai is future and US is sinking economy. OZ/US is sometime hot too but Dubai is far better because its tax free....Plus the rules, visa troubles in US are all well known. Going to US means trouble because E-3 visa to US Passport is 15 years of planning.
Why did you bother asking the question ..you seem to have decided ....
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

There's more to life than taxes and visas...
What does your wife think?
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:32 am
Banned

There's more to life than taxes and visas...
What does your wife think?
Status and facilities are very important....many expat women are now living/working in Dubai...
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Status and facilities are very important....many expat women are now living/working in Dubai...
And from what I've read on here they seem to have it very very nice over there apart from that heat
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:26 am
Banned

US is famous for its problems and troubles.Tax,Visa,inflation,petrol prices,no family assistance, medical insurance, car insurance, school fees.....i mean give at least a single authentic reason to pay tax there?
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:49 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

US is famous for its problems and troubles.Tax,Visa,inflation,petrol prices,no family assistance, medical insurance, car insurance, school fees.....i mean give at least a single authentic reason to pay tax there?
Sounds like you'd be much happier in Dubai. I believe the expat wives there do engage in many activities to pass the time.
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why bother asking the question then?! Enjoy Dubai!
Old May 2nd 2008, 2:26 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Why bother asking the question then?! Enjoy Dubai!
Yea, ditto. Sounds like you already have a preconceived (and somewhat wrong) attitude about the US so go to Dubai and get a tan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.