British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Driving License VA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-driving-license-va-555582/)

smurtaza Aug 16th 2008 10:53 am

US Driving License VA

Hi,

How to transfer valid full Australian Driving license into US Driving License in VA?

Thanks

E3only Aug 16th 2008 11:00 am

Re: US Driving License VA

So you finally moving son !?:)

Ozzidoc Aug 16th 2008 11:41 am

Originally Posted by smurtaza (Post 6685112)
Hi,

How to transfer valid full Australian Driving license into US Driving License in VA?

Thanks

1. google is your friend.
2. you cant.

Songbird Aug 16th 2008 11:43 am

Hi,

Thanks

AFAIK you can't. Check out the DMV for VA ( google is your friend ) all the details for that state re: driving are available there. It will tell you how long you can use your Aussie license before you have to get a VA one.

Ray Aug 16th 2008 4:52 pm

Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license
You will take a full test

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...ligibility.asp

chartreuse Aug 16th 2008 8:32 pm

I didn't realise the Veterans Administration issued Federal drivers licenses... I always thought that DLs were a state thing ;)

Mind you, I was also unaware that there were Canadian/Indian/Australian/Kiwi/Omani troops even in the Spanish-American war :lol:

Just Jenney Aug 16th 2008 10:13 pm

You can't. You can apply for a Virginia drivers license, though.

You'll need a SSN.

You'll need documentation to prove your identity.

You'll need documentation to prove your legal presence in the United States.

You'll need documentation to prove that you're a Virginia resident.

You'll need to hold a Virginia learner's permit for 30 days. The good news is that you won't have to take driving lessons in order to get it, as long as you're 19 years of age or older.

You'll need to take and pass the written and driving exams before they'll grant you a Virginia license.

~ Jenney

Beaky99 Aug 17th 2008 12:22 am

The documenttion to prove your identity was the real sticking point for me trying to get my licence in VA.

The list of acceptable items is available on the VA DMV website. You need two things off the list and it was essentially impossible for me as a British Immigrant on an L1 visa to actually have two of them! A non-expired foreign passport was all I coul provide. (Even when they would accept my UK drivers licence as good enough to be able to go straight to the test without a lerners pemit etc, it was apparently not good enough to form part of the ID check!)

The way it worked out in the end was they took all the documentation I did have and it was faxed to their "Head office" for verification/checking and they then got back to me with a letter stating that what I had WAS acceptable. So now I need to take that letter into the office with all the documentation I had (which is listed on the letter) and they should let me take the test. The process from going in to the original office and them faxing off the info took about 4-5 weeks.

So my reccomendation is to try to either make sure you have documentation which fits in with their list if at all possible, or be prepared to go through some delays in the secondary processing steps!

JMc

bevinva Aug 17th 2008 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Beaky99 (Post 6686710)
The documenttion to prove your identity was the real sticking point for me trying to get my licence in VA.

The list of acceptable items is available on the VA DMV website. You need two things off the list and it was essentially impossible for me as a British Immigrant on an L1 visa to actually have two of them! A non-expired foreign passport was all I coul provide. (Even when they would accept my UK drivers licence as good enough to be able to go straight to the test without a lerners pemit etc, it was apparently not good enough to form part of the ID check!)

The way it worked out in the end was they took all the documentation I did have and it was faxed to their "Head office" for verification/checking and they then got back to me with a letter stating that what I had WAS acceptable. So now I need to take that letter into the office with all the documentation I had (which is listed on the letter) and they should let me take the test. The process from going in to the original office and them faxing off the info took about 4-5 weeks.

So my reccomendation is to try to either make sure you have documentation which fits in with their list if at all possible, or be prepared to go through some delays in the secondary processing steps!

JMc

All because some of the 9/11 chaps had VA licenses.