Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US driving license

US driving license

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: US driving license

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'd just take the test again.

If you can drive the car in a straight line without killing anyone or knocking over any structural walls you're doing OK as a Texas driver. All other aspects of driving in Texas are optional.
That's terrible, how on earth do they expect people to pass??????

Here in Maryland during my driving test in the PARKING LOT of the loal DMV, I was merrily driving along on the wrong side of the 'road' and realised my mistake. So I went back on the right side of the 'road' and remarked to the driver instructor that at least I tried and how soon could I take the test again...To which she replied that I'd passed since 'no other vehicles were coming' ROFL ROFL
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raithrovers1
So can I go to Florida and the office where I sat my original test and get an updated driving license or proof for when I had my license? I may be staying in Florida for one month before I start work in Texas. This way I might be able to get cheaper insurance.
If you aren't resident in FL, you probably won't be able to get a new license, but you can go to any DMV office in the state to get a copy of your driving record, which you can use in TX to show x number of years driving history in the US.

Probably even able to get the information online, possibly for a cost, certainly in MA that is the case at least.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

I've followed this thread, and others, on obtaining a 'drivers' license in the US with interest. Having spent one entire summer's vacation taking a Driver Training class in high school (at the advanced age of 15), several requirements which were emphasized have stayed with me to this day. They may be of assistance to those contemplating taking their first US driving test.

1) Applicants who have a seeing eye dog (guide dog) should be aware that they are not allowed to gain assistance from the dog whilst taking the actual practical driving test. In some states, the guide dog is not allowed in the vehicle, whilst in others, the dog may be allowed in the vehicle but will be monitored to assure that no cheating occurs. In the instance of 'fouling' during the test, the owner (in this case the driver) will have points deducted from their test score as the act could eventually cause a distraction to the driver.

2) Many states have the option of requiring either a heart monitor or a brain wave detector being applied to the applicant during the test. A positive (functioning) reading is required. If a state requires the applicant to be monitored by both devices during the test, a functioning brain wave will carry precedence over a non-functioning heart beat. If the opposite occurs, it's an automatic fail. Unfortunately, in some states, it's been found that not all driving examiners are fully trained to operate the monitors, and some applicants have 'passed' the test due to the examiner's incapabilities.

Of course, it's been a long, long time ago, and these requirements may have altered.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Spot the Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by raithrovers1
So can I go to Florida and the office where I sat my original test and get an updated driving license or proof for when I had my license? I may be staying in Florida for one month before I start work in Texas. This way I might be able to get cheaper insurance.
I got my FL license first in 1994 when I was in the US on an extended vacation (gave them the address of the hotel I was in!). Like you I lost it but went back to the same office (Orlando) in 2000 when I was again there on vacation and they gave me a new one, I can't recall how they looked it up though.

Anyway I moved back to the US (to Boston) in 2005 again with no copy of my original FL license but was able to get an MA license from the DMV without too much difficulty. I suspect if you go to the local DMV office you should be able get sorted out.

If you do need to sit the test again I suggest you do it in FL, unless it has changed since '94 it was a walk in service, I tested in the rental car in their parking lot type course (very easy!) and was out of there with the license within about 3 hours.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spot the Dog

If you do need to sit the test again I suggest you do it in FL, unless it has changed since '94 it was a walk in service, I tested in the rental car in their parking lot type course (very easy!) and was out of there with the license within about 3 hours.
It's pretty easy in which ever state one goes too

Anyway, welcome to BE