Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US driving license

Wikiposts

US driving license

Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

raithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the rough
Default US driving license

I am a UK citizen who had a Florida driving license when I lived there in 1998-2000. I cannot find the card now.
If I am moving to Houston in the next couple of months so do I have to resit my test or can they find my license on the system from my social security number?
Any help appreciated
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US driving license

Originally Posted by raithrovers1
I am a UK citizen who had a Florida driving license when I lived there in 1998-2000. I cannot find the card now.
If I am moving to Houston in the next couple of months so do I have to resit my test or can they find my license on the system from my social security number?
Any help appreciated
There is usually only a very short window for renewing expired/lost licenses with no penalty. It varies by state but is usually of the order of months not decades. I don't know about FL but that license may have been linked to your status at the time and expired as soon as you left. Even so, TX is a different state so would be unlikely to be able to look you up in FL.

It is likely you will have to do all the tests again.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:35 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raithrovers1
Any help appreciated
I'd just take the test again.

If you can drive the car in a straight line without killing anyone or knocking over any structural walls you're doing OK as a Texas driver. All other aspects of driving in Texas are optional.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

If you can drive the car in a straight line without killing anyone or knocking over any structural walls you're doing OK as a Texas driver. All other aspects of driving in Texas are optional.
Does he have to take his test in a White Dually with Bull Horns on the Grille?

Jim.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely your licence in Florida is expired. Texas DPS won't have the other 49 states DMV records to try and find it for you.

If you do not have the unexpired licence in your hand when go to DPS, they will require you to take the test. A woman in front of me had a 10 day expired licence from Nevada. She had to take the test. So, just assume you will need to do the whole process here. It's easy, just DPS here is quite time consuming.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

And sometimes even if you have an out-of-state license, the new state may require you to sit an exam. When hubby and I moved from KY to OH, we had to take the written exam before we could exchange our license.

But yeah, if you don't have the physical license card, they will not know you hold a valid license from another state and will assume you are a new driver that will need to sit the written & road tests.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
And sometimes even if you have an out-of-state license, the new state may require you to sit an exam. When hubby and I moved from KY to OH, we had to take the written exam before we could exchange our license.
I always found it amusing that Sheila, when she moved from MI to KY had to retake her driving test - written and road... but when I moved from Canada (NS) to KY, I didn't have to take either! I just handed in my NS license and got a KY one in exchange.

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2011, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:20 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, they are tough in Texas!

No worries about structural walls in these parts....

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/poli...icle584037.ece
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The chances of them being able to look anything up correctly at the DMV are several trillion to one.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The chances of them being able to look anything up correctly at the DMV are several trillion to one.
But if you're able to go to previous states DMV site and get a report of driving history, it might help with getting better insurance on getting a new Texas driver as the OP wouldn't be considered a completely new driver...
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:55 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But if you're able to go to previous states DMV site and get a report of driving history, it might help with getting better insurance on getting a new Texas driver as the OP wouldn't be considered a completely new driver...
I was able to get a better rate on my car insurance by explaining to the insurance company that the reason I hadn't been insured for the last few years was because I had been living overseas. Nearly cut the rate in half, and they didn't even care that a) I didn't have a car overseas or b) I didn't have a full driving licence overseas.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Agreed!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:54 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

This is so true.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

raithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the roughraithrovers1 is a jewel in the rough

So can I go to Florida and the office where I sat my original test and get an updated driving license or proof for when I had my license? I may be staying in Florida for one month before I start work in Texas. This way I might be able to get cheaper insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.