Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Driving Advice

US Driving Advice

Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Driving Advice

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Well actually its irish advice, but most of it still applies...

Never mind penalty points - this is what you need to know
about driving in Ireland

1. Indicators will give away your next move. A confident
Irish driver avoids using them.

2. Under no circumstance should you maintain a safe distance
between you and the car in front of you, because somebody
else will fill in the space, putting you in an even more
dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the less chance
you have of getting hit.

4. Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive
bodywork, especially with OY, MO or MH plates. With no
insurance, the other operator probably has nothing to lose.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to
ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a vigorous, foot
massage as the brake pedal violently pulsates. For those of
you without ABS, it's a chance to strengthen your leg
muscles.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the left.
It's a good way to prepare other drivers entering the
motorway.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a
suggestion and are not enforceable in Ireland during rush
hour.

8. Always brake and rubberneck when you see an accident or
even someone changing a tyre. This is seen as a sign of
respect for the victim.

9. Learn to swerve abruptly without signalling. Ireland is
the home of high-speed slalom driving thanks to the
Department of Public Works, which puts potholes in key
locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them alert!

10. It is tradition in Ireland to honk your horn at cars in
front of you that do not move three milliseconds after the
light turns green.

11. To avoid injury in the event of a collision or rollover,
it is important to exit your vehicle through the windscreen
right away. Wearing your seat belt will only impede your
hi-velocity escape from danger.

12. Remember that the goal of every Irish driver is to get
ahead of the pack by whatever means necessary.

13. WARNING! Never come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
No one expects it and it will result in you being
rear-ended.
Good one, though think the title is incorrect. Should say this is what you need to know
about driving in New York.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:01 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by antjen
Sounds just like the driving style (or lack of) in LA
its raining heavy outside in LA tonight - on the way home I passed, in 3 mile stretch of the 210 near Pasadena 8 (count em ) accidents. I'm fully aware that it rarely rains but common sense surely says put your lights on, slow down and GET OFF THE ****ING PHONE
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Stella...I hardly think so...tad to posh for around here...gotta be Coors Lite
Figure of speech Bob. One Stella would kill the average 16 yr old septic.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:10 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
its raining heavy outside in LA tonight - on the way home I passed, in 3 mile stretch of the 210 near Pasadena 8 (count em ) accidents. I'm fully aware that it rarely rains but common sense surely says put your lights on, slow down and GET OFF THE ****ING PHONE
hang on, common sense in LA - dont make me laugh

how many upside down cars did you see today?? - im suprised, i only saw 2!!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:26 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by antjen
hang on, common sense in LA - dont make me laugh

how many upside down cars did you see today?? - im suprised, i only saw 2!!
3 and a truck on its side - the 101 is closed at the moment cos a truck has shed its load of sulphuric acid - FFS- it was probably been carried in plastic buckets
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

i...I'm fully aware that it rarely rains but common sense surely says put your lights on, slow down and GET OFF THE ****ING PHONE
common sense, what's that then? and there probably phoning a friend asking what to do in the rain
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

#'s 2 & 10 had me in stitches So true for what seems like all over America.
Number 10 I can relate to in the opposite way, as its usually me thats doing the honking. People looking for shit, while ON the bloody mobile, the light turns green and their head's under the seat looking for something, just the other day I missed a whole light 'cause some retard was doing that... I hate driving here

Been a pretty funny night for me, I just finished reading this... I found it so funny I had to walk away from reading it 3 times, my throat and stomache still are acheing now ! I miss laughing

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_p...9&KW=bula%5F82

Last edited by Crispyuk88; Feb 28th 2006 at 2:12 am.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:29 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

3 and a truck on its side - the 101 is closed at the moment cos a truck has shed its load of sulphuric acid - FFS- it was probably been carried in plastic buckets
I'm pictured it being carried in plastic buckets held by people in giant costumes a la Its A Knockout myself. Would prob be safer than carting it soemwhere in a californian truck.
Stuart Hall's commentaries - ahh the memories
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:30 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Should you be posting on here whilst your driving home ??
Old Feb 28th 2006, 3:59 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit i was shocked when i went to the driving license place with the wife after we wed to get her named changed on her license. the test here lasts literally 10 minutes and they don't even go on the road, they have a little road type set-up on the property, and if i understand correctly, as long as you dont stall your automatic (!) and can work out the fact that the ve-hic-le goes in whatever direction your turn the wheel thingy in front of you and can stay on the hard grey surface with lines on it for more than 50% of the time you pass with no problems and are here by certified to drive the world over, knowing you have the skills and knowledge to overcome any problems encountered (or you can just give your horn a blast!)!!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

I witnessed my first crash here last week. It was on the same intersection that fellow forum member 'USBound' had warned me about... I think he's seen well into double figures there now though.

It was quality, some guy who was inside the intersection waiting to turn left, but couldn't was still there when the lights changed. He seemed to change his mind as to where he wanted to go and tried to pull a U-ey instead. He got halfway through his U-ey and then had to stop for the peds that were crossing the walkway bit (including me! )... Unknown to him though was that Americans are humanitarians and they allow the blind to be priveledged enough to drive. Some guy who obviously wasn't looking ploughed right into the side of the 'crap U-ey puller' guy. Was only like a 10mph crash, but it made a lovely 'crunch' sound and seemed to do a fair bit of damage.

What fun. I'm *so* looking forward to driving here.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:20 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
The day i did my road test a polish woman who couldn't speak a word of english went before me.
The examiner came back and i'm pretty sure that he'd soiled himself.
He told her son that she ran 4 stop signs and nearly hit a truck by driving on the wrong side of the road.
he told the son to take her to an instructor otherwise she and others would die

so she passed then!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:23 am
Just me!

Originally Posted by Drebin
I witnessed my first crash here last week. It was on the same intersection that fellow forum member 'USBound' had warned me about... I think he's seen well into double figures there now though.

It was quality, some guy who was inside the intersection waiting to turn left, but couldn't was still there when the lights changed. He seemed to change his mind as to where he wanted to go and tried to pull a U-ey instead. He got halfway through his U-ey and then had to stop for the peds that were crossing the walkway bit (including me! )... Unknown to him though was that Americans are humanitarians and they allow the blind to be priveledged enough to drive. Some guy who obviously wasn't looking ploughed right into the side of the 'crap U-ey puller' guy. Was only like a 10mph crash, but it made a lovely 'crunch' sound and seemed to do a fair bit of damage.

What fun. I'm *so* looking forward to driving here.
your first (of many) crash, welcome to LA!!!!

at work we quite often hear the screech of tyres and all run to the window to watch for the forthcoming crash - well thats our entertainment for the day!!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 11:39 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Good one, though think the title is incorrect. Should say this is what you need to know
about driving in New York.
Reg. Frank R.
Frrussre - Youre back? Did you remember me Marmite?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
Frrussre - Youre back? Did you remember me Marmite?
Two jars on the way. USPS, so don't hold your breath waiting.
I had some excellent sausages rolls from Greggs Bakers.
Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.