Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US driver's license for British expats

US driver's license for British expats

Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:16 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US driver's license for British expats

Apart from the long waits at our closest DMV, i have had no problems with them. But I have an SSN already. Not sure whether it's that that makes the difference or being 26 years older than the OP and therefore 26 more years of real-life experience. I've lived in India and China - dealing with the DMV here is NOTHING in comparison to dealing with any official body in China.

Oh well, OP, you'll only have to deal with bureaucracy here for another 4 years before you're sent packing back to the U.K. where I imagine the DVLA will be even busier and even more clueless due to the exit from the EU and having a whole new license issuing system to deal with.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I took all the required documentation and had my driving licence within an hour.

I went back with my AOS receipt notice and had an extension.

I went back with my EAD and had another extension.

My experiences with the DMV have been fantastic. This is in part due to doing my homework and having everything prepared.
Glad it went well first time, sadly we had done all our homework but things just didn't go our way, third time lucky for me!!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Chesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond reputeChesten has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
Glad it went well first time, sadly we had done all our homework but things just didn't go our way, third time lucky for me!!
Bit like that for me. I had spent time online to research the process. I thought I had everything including a sworn affidavit for no SSN which is the requirement in TN. But was told I needed an i94 which confused me at the time as had not come across it. Naively thought visa in my passport was the holy grail. But next visit was ok.
I was overprepared when I did my practical and had all sorts pertaining to rental car just in case, but it wasn't needed.
I did find one particular DMV lady bloody difficult in a way that other customer facing people e.g. at utility companies and others at DMV are not. But hey ho. Bad luck when you get the Rottweiler or the poorly trained team member.

I understand why the OP is getting flack and there are good points being made and, hopefully, life lessons being learned. But who doesn't need a rant once in a while?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:53 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Denied the ability to take my test in a rental car. Apparently, this was the rule back then (since changed) but not documented anywhere that I could find before or after the event.
I wonder why they wouldn't let you take the test in a rental car?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malch
Visit 1: Pickup forms, drivers handbook etc. Not everything was available on-line then.
Visit 2: Took written test. Passed.
Visit 3: Denied the ability to take my test in a rental car. Apparently, this was the rule back then (since changed) but not documented anywhere that I could find before or after the event.
Visit 4: Took driving test. Passed.
My daughter took her test in a rental car. This was because NJ Rules stipulated the car must have a centre handbrake. Non if ours did...so she used a rental car.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 6:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YaldaZia
When i went previously, i went with the letter from the SS office, and they ended up telling me that they don't need it.
One of my relatives had this problem, the guy told her to get an SSN (which she was eligible for as L-2 but at the time she thought she wasn't) so they told her to get the letter and then one of the other employees said to her on the way out that she could try a different DMV office where they weren't so strict, so she went there and they issued it!

Then even more amusingly she belatedly realized she needed to get an SSN, went to the SSA office and the girl at the desk was from Birmingham (UK) and was really snotty to her.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 6:43 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I agree with the previous replies.
Well I don't agree with the previous replies, you're perfectly welcome to come on here and rant about American bureaucratic excess, isn't that the raison d'etre of this forum? The California DMV seems designed and intended to give people a heart attack.

Being 17 the OP doesn't have to worry about their blood pressure quite so much, rant away.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well I don't agree with the previous replies, you're perfectly welcome to come on here and rant about American bureaucratic excess, isn't that the raison d'etre of this forum? The California DMV seems designed and intended to give people a heart attack.

Being 17 the OP doesn't have to worry about their blood pressure quite so much, rant away.
Sure, we all have the right to rant on occasion but for a 17-year-old to join a forum and their introductory post is a rant containing threats and questionable language in that way shows a degree of immaturity. Sounded like a 3-year-old's tantrum.

My view and, it seems, that of several other posters was that that attitude most likely was also directed toward the DMV staff. That sort of attitude is not going to endear them to ANY authority figure.

Just imagine the first (maybe only) time they are pulled over by the police
Old Aug 9th 2017, 4:59 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I wonder why they wouldn't let you take the test in a rental car?
Apparently, they had some silly California rule. It wasn't written down in any general publications I could find. And I also went through the rental agreement fine print and didn't fine anything incompatible with using the rental car for the test in that either.

I argued with the Examiner without success and then asked for the Supervisor but he wouldn't budge either. So home I went without taking the test.

I understand that using a rental car is now specifically permitted. Proof of insurance is obviously required.

Ultimately, I took the test in a driving school car and passed quite easily.

I had done my homework pretty carefully and thoroughly so it was a VERY frustrating and irritating process at the time.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Sure, we all have the right to rant on occasion but for a 17-year-old to join a forum and their introductory post is a rant containing threats and questionable language in that way shows a degree of immaturity. Sounded like a 3-year-old's tantrum. ....
Agreed. In the "local pub" analogy used sometimes to describe BE, you wouldn't wall into a pub full of strangers and start ranting about a bad experience, but if you're known to all the regulars in the pub an otherwise similar rant might be understandable and acceptable and quite possibly even amusing.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Mr Fitch is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds cliche but killing with kindness works wonders at the DMV. One thing I've learnt living in California for 11 years is that quite alot of Californians are sensitive. VERY sensitive. You show up in a stink anywhere, be it DMV, post office, bank etc. and you will most likely be met with belligerence. Bare in mind, these people have to deal with a plethora of angry people every day, as soon as you show them anger, they switch off. Understandable i think, as long as they stay professional.

I had huge issues with getting my DL when i first moved to CA. I already knew the DMV sterotype but i wasn't expecting that level of rudeness. I learned over time with each new endorsement to my licence (eg. Motorbike, Emergency Vehicles) that a compliment goes a long way in a place like that.

My advice to you OP, is try not to get too upset. I understand your frustration, but i honestly think you will have better luck in the future at the DMV if you just swallow your pride and show them you are a nice person that they WANT to help. Of course, you will on occasion get someone who is just satan incarnate, but it's rare and there is always one unfortunately.