British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US drivers license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-drivers-license-703248/)

pickups85 Feb 1st 2011 9:20 am

US drivers license

I moved to Kentucky and still drive legally on my Uk license, I have a green card (had it for two months). I will be buying a car soon because I got a job that requires me to drive to Georgia and back. My question is, does anyone know which tests I will have to take to get a Kentucky license? all I can find on the DMV website is a statement saying "with the exception of permanent residents, all drivers must take the written and practical exams" but since I AM a permanent resident, I don't know what I'll have to do, it just says that I can apply at the circuit clerks office downtown

Vimto Feb 1st 2011 10:16 am

Re: US drivers license

Check out the requirements in the Drivers Manual on the Division of Driver Licensing site http://drlic.kytc.ky.gov/drivers_man...versmanual.htm

pickups85 Feb 1st 2011 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 9143659)
Check out the requirements in the Drivers Manual on the Division of Driver Licensing site http://drlic.kytc.ky.gov/drivers_man...versmanual.htm

Thanks. That's where it says to go to the circuit clerk. I guess I'll go down and see what they say

Rete Feb 1st 2011 12:42 pm

"with the exception of permanent residents" might mean that if you already have a valid driver's license from your country you might only need to take one, not both, tests.

In instances such as this, the easiest way to get an answer is to call the number listed on the website for the DMV.

pickups85 Feb 1st 2011 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9143973)
"with the exception of permanent residents" might mean that if you already have a valid driver's license from your country you might only need to take one, not both, tests.

In instances such as this, the easiest way to get an answer is to call the number listed on the website for the DMV.

Yeah i think it means that i will only have to take the written test. thanks for your help guys, i'm gonna head down to the DMV tomorrow

saperlo Feb 1st 2011 3:18 pm

Hi Pickup,
Your license is only good for 12 months and then only if you have an International Driving Permit. Otherwise any insurance you have will be invalid and in the event of an incident (even a minor one) you could find yourself with serious financial liability.

The US test is in two parts: written and practical
You must take an 8 hour driving class in some states to be allowed to sit it (check out for your own DMV) and the test is a 25 question multiple choice

Once you pass that you can progress to the road test.
For the road test you must have a registered and insured car. They will not allow you to use a rental car, so best bet is to use a driving school's one instead.
It is a good idea anyway to get a few hours lessons before sitting the test. I have been driving in the UK for 25 years but I still learned a few things that are unique about the US (and about the actual test route I was going to be taken on). I always think that with driving you can never have too much information!
Good luck, regards,
saperlo

Duncan Roberts Feb 1st 2011 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by saperlo (Post 9144315)
Hi Pickup,
Your license is only good for 12 months and then only if you have an International Driving Permit. Otherwise any insurance you have will be invalid and in the event of an incident (even a minor one) you could find yourself with serious financial liability.

You must take an 8 hour driving class in some states to be allowed to sit it (check out for your own DMV) and the test is a 25 question multiple choice

For the road test you must have a registered and insured car. They will not allow you to use a rental car, so best bet is to use a driving school's one instead.
It is a good idea anyway to get a few hours lessons before sitting the test. I have been driving in the UK for 25 years but I still learned a few things that are unique about the US (and about the actual test route I was going to be taken on). I always think that with driving you can never have too much information!
Good luck, regards,
saperlo

Umm, that's complete arse. The test and rules are state specific for a start so not all states require you to take both or either depending on your age and previous driving license. For instance in Ohio you need an OH license within 30 days of certain events that make you an OH resident. Taking a job, buying or signing a lease on a house are a couple but there are a lot more. 12 months is for bone fide tourists only and you don't need an international license at all but the state recommends if your foreign license is not in English. Insurance is completely separate as well, you can get insurance and tell the insurance company you have an international license. It may cost you more but not having a US license isn't grounds for them to drop you or invalidate your coverage.

pickups85 Feb 1st 2011 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by saperlo (Post 9144315)
Hi Pickup,

Good luck, regards,
saperlo

Sorry bud this information is incorrect for Kentucky. I can drive on my UK license for 12 months and I am insured on my wife's car. You only need a permit if your home country is not part of the Geneva Compact group of countries, this info is off of the DMV website. If i need to take the road test i'll use my wife's car but my attorney seems to think that i'll only need to do the written part. This is from the site:

"All non U.S. citizens applying for a first time Kentucky license, with the exception of permanent residents, are required to take the written, vision and road tests. This includes transfer driver's holding a valid license from another state or country. Driver's holding a valid out of state license, or a valid license from a Geneva Compact country, will not be required to hold a permit. Non U.S. citizens already licensed in Kentucky are not required to retest but they must be approved by Division of Driver Licensing."

saperlo Feb 1st 2011 3:59 pm

Hey all,
I am aware that DMV requirements are State-specific and I should have said in my reply that I was referring to the State of Kentucky where Pickup lives.
Their state driving laws are quite specific.
Their requirements are that:
All non U.S. citizens applying for a first time Kentucky license, with the exception of permanent residents, are required to take the written, vision and road tests. This includes transfer driver's holding a valid license from another state or country.
They also state:
All non U.S. citizens may drive in the U.S. on their valid foreign license and International Permit for up to one year from the date of admission into the U.S. provided their home country is part of the Geneva Compact.

My point about insurance is also correct because they don't care about your legitimacy unless you try and make a claim. Don't believe me? Try it. Better still, don't even risk it.

pickups85 Feb 1st 2011 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by saperlo (Post 9144433)
Hey all,
I am aware that DMV requirements are State-specific and I should have said in my reply that I was referring to the State of Kentucky where Pickup lives.
Their state driving laws are quite specific.
Their requirements are that:
All non U.S. citizens applying for a first time Kentucky license, with the exception of permanent residents, are required to take the written, vision and road tests. This includes transfer driver's holding a valid license from another state or country.
They also state:
All non U.S. citizens may drive in the U.S. on their valid foreign license and International Permit for up to one year from the date of admission into the U.S. provided their home country is part of the Geneva Compact.

My point about insurance is also correct because they don't care about your legitimacy unless you try and make a claim. Don't believe me? Try it. Better still, don't even risk it.

I still think the insurance thing is incorrect because they asked for my British license number etc...

Ok, so I just called the DMV. They said since i'm from the UK, I will not take the road test, only the written and eye test as long as my UK license has not expired. I have to take my Green card, UK license, Social Security card and proof of residence eg. a sealed post-marked envelope dated within 60 days or a lease agreement.

They also said I was supposed to apply within 30 days of getting my Green Card but that it doesn't really matter and they just prefer it (didn't say why)

Thanks everybody who gave information

ian-mstm Feb 1st 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by saperlo (Post 9144433)

Absolute rubbish. I, too, live in Kentucky. I wasn't a PR, I was applying for a first-time KY license, and I had a valid driver's license from another country... and I was not required to take a written, vision, or road test.

Here's a suggestion for the future... never assume that a web site contains accurate information.

Ian

saperlo Feb 1st 2011 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9144749)
Absolute rubbish. I, too, live in Kentucky. I wasn't a PR, I was applying for a first-time KY license, and I had a valid driver's license from another country... and I was not required to take a written, vision, or road test.

Here's a suggestion for the future... never assume that a web site contains accurate information.

Ian

Well, it seems to me that I've found the UK expats alright, and what a right bunch of arrogant, sanctimonious and rude individuals you are.
Never assume a site contains accurate information? Exactly my point.
Ignorance is no defence in a legally grey area or where an insurance company has just pulled a fast one and declared your policy invalid. I don't f*ing care what you were required to do when you got your license - you're quite possibly "legal" in the strictest sense but if you have an accident and try to claim your insurance, you've quite possibly given them an open goal.
Yes different states have different laws and Ct where live is probably the worst. Although I'm new here I'm not some ignoramus, I do know something of the law and of its detailed applications (and I bloody well should do too in my work). I'm not going to go into any further details, so that I don't provoke any old buffers into posting again and I've more to do with my life.

ian-mstm Feb 1st 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by saperlo (Post 9144956)
I don't f*ing care what you were required to do when you got your license - you're quite possibly "legal" in the strictest sense but if you have an accident and try to claim your insurance, you've quite possibly given them an open goal.

I wrote about my own experience... and that experience directly contradicts what you've read and posted. Therefore, what you wrote is not an absolute as you would have us believe. I'm sure it wasn't necessary to swear just to dispute me.

Ian

meauxna Feb 1st 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9144749)

Ian

How many thousands of years ago was that though?

Ian, if you keep chasing off all the new folk, we will never get any new material in the Recipe thread.

pickups85 Feb 1st 2011 9:14 pm

For anyone that doesn't know what irony is...

"Well, it seems to me that I've found the UK expats alright, and what a right bunch of arrogant, sanctimonious and rude individuals you are."

Ha!

Calm down Ian I'm kidding... You're all taking this thread far too seriously