Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Drivers licence. Help needed.

US Drivers licence. Help needed.

Old Nov 14th 2003, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

litebaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Drivers licence. Help needed.

I'm planning on a six month visit to the southern states, primarily California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas and Florida. I've got my B1/B2 visa and International Drivers permit (IDP) and plan on buying a Motorhome but obtaining insurance is expensive and difficult to obtain without conditions, (forced to take all coverage and maximum benefits, premium doubles/triples and duplicates with aspects of travel insurance). Does anyone know a state where I can easily obtain a drivers licence and title my vehicle withouit the requirement for a residency address? (I don't know if a mailing box is good enough?) I thought I'd found the answer by using an RV organisation in Texas with a legal mailing / forwarding address but now I find that you can't get insurance in Texas with an (IDP) and have to obtain a waiver form refusing social security before you can obtain a drivers licence! There must be an easier way.
(addition to replies (Thank you) : My Uk licence can be used, many states don't recignise the IDP, however it seems that a US license could save me a lot of money. I've been quoted $2000 with an IDP but as low as $169 with a US license, I'd like to be somewhere in the middle. RV Rental costs are a minimum of $3000 a month. With buying a $10K RV wisely, you can at least get your money back at the end. I hate paying too much for insurance knowing that I've never claimed anything in 21 years).

Last edited by litebaker; Nov 15th 2003 at 11:46 am.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Default Re: US Drivers licence. Help needed.

You need:

1) Some sort of legal proof of residency, or need for a DL (check each state's website)

2) Mailing address where your DL can be mailed (very few hand it to you right away now). Plus a mailing address of that state thati s listd on your DL.

I don't know how you can get away with both. Just come here. Get a temp place to stay or have stuff mailed. Get your docs and go get a DL. Are you sure you can't use your english DL? many states do allow foreign DL for tourists. I know california does.

-= nav =-
Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Drivers licence. Help needed.

Originally posted by litebaker
I'm planning on a six month visit to the southern states, primarily California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas and Florida. I've got my B1/B2 visa and International Drivers permit (IDP) and plan on buying a Motorhome but obtaining insurance is expensive and difficult to obtain without conditions, .......
It's a while since I've seen this question.

In all honesty I don't think that there is a way to do what you want to do - buy and insure your own RV.

It is now very difficult to get a drivers licence in any state in the US - there are people here on non-working visas (e.g. spouses of H or L visa holders) who have found that they can't get a licence even though they live here.

Most states, from what I hear prohibit the use of mailing addresses for getting drivers licences and registering vehicles, and I can't recall having heard of any state that does allow it. And I hear that some states, maybe even most, now won't issue a drivers licence unless you have a social security number, and you most certainly can't get one of those on a visitors visa.

Think about the reverse situation, an American trying to visit the UK buy a vehicle and insure it without having a UK address or residency rights. You can imagine what the DVLA and insurance companies are going to think of that, can't you.

Sorry, I don't think that your idea will fly. Find an RV rental company and rent one for six months.

One other thing - do not try to cut corners with insurance. In America the cost of medical treatment is frightening, and it is a notoriously litigious country. You can't have too much insurance!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 16th 2003 at 10:49 am.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

btw: how exactly are you planning on buying a big RV, get a license, insurance, etc. etc. yet only plan on staying here for 6 months?? YOu aren't planning on overstaying are you? wink wink!

-= nav =-