British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Dollar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-dollar-714174/)

choops Apr 21st 2011 2:21 pm

US Dollar

Its weakening and weakening!! Now, do i buy a stash of dollars today or wait and see if it falls further....?!:unsure:

MrsY Apr 21st 2011 2:26 pm

Re: US Dollar

I'm gutted, we transferred a couple of weeks agao and it wasn't as good as now. We were told it was going to fall and wish we waited now!!!

marcnotrust Apr 21st 2011 2:45 pm

Im coming over for 10 days in November - I am debating whether or not to get some now. Or wait to see if it falls further.

choops Apr 21st 2011 3:52 pm

Ive just spoken to a dealer that i deal with through work and he advises that some GDP data on the uk which would see the usd strengthen a bit comes out on the 27th. GDP is expected to strengthen per some reports although not by much causing economists still fearing a weak recovery causing teh dollar to gain back against sterling.

This is all just talk and internet reports of ''experts'' but do i take a punt and hope it doesnt go any higher???! Arrgghhh!!!

marcnotrust Apr 21st 2011 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by choops (Post 9319114)
Ive just spoken to a dealer that i deal with through work and he advises that some GDP data on the uk which would see the usd strengthen a bit comes out on the 27th. GDP is expected to strengthen per some reports although not by much causing economists still fearing a weak recovery causing teh dollar to gain back against sterling.

This is all just talk and internet reports of ''experts'' but do i take a punt and hope it doesnt go any higher???! Arrgghhh!!!

Ive heard its going to strengthen too etc, Looked at a few Forex forecast sites etc. I Might just buy half now and then see what happens over the next few months.

choops Apr 21st 2011 7:14 pm

Damn, its lost half a point already!! May have missed the boat :(

dunroving Apr 21st 2011 9:22 pm

Based on the dozens of previous posts at similar points in the USD/GBP exchange cycle, there's a 50/50 chance that the USD will go up or down.

I spent almost a month wrestling with my US bank to transfer my remaining USD into the UK several months back, when it was at $1.35. By the time it arrived, the pound was up above $1.55, so I hung on and it's now at almost $1.65.

Robert Frost (I think) once said that a door is something a dog is always on the wrong side of. Over the past 30 years, the USD/GBP exchange rate is something I always seem to be on the wrong side of. :(

lansbury Apr 21st 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9319698)

Robert Frost (I think) once said that a door is something a dog is always on the wrong side of. Over the past 30 years, the USD/GBP exchange rate is something I always seem to be on the wrong side of. :(

The broker I deal with once said "If the rate is acceptable to you take it. Those that are greedy and try and milk for a few extra dollars usually lose out."

TimFountain Apr 22nd 2011 1:49 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9319698)
Based on the dozens of previous posts at similar points in the USD/GBP exchange cycle, there's a 50/50 chance that the USD will go up or down.

Ah, so it can go up or down? I see. :D

Michael Apr 22nd 2011 4:56 am

The federal reserve and the US government are deliberately allowing the US$ to weaken to give the US an advantage in exports against its main competitors (Europe, UK, Japan, Australia, and Canada).

I suspect the US government would be happy to see the US$ fall to $1.80 to the £ and $1.60 to the Euro. However things like the European sovereign debt crisis could turn exchange rates around on a dime especially if one of the countries defaults or Spain gets into trouble .