Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US DMV/ UK DVLA

US DMV/ UK DVLA

Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light
Default US DMV/ UK DVLA

Hi Ya'll

Okay so I know in the U.S you can ask for your driving history record at the DMV, but born and raised in UK I have not heard if you could do that at the DVLA..someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sasoozie will become famous soon enoughSasoozie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: US DMV/ UK DVLA

Originally Posted by whatadiva
Hi Ya'll

Okay so I know in the U.S you can ask for your driving history record at the DMV, but born and raised in UK I have not heard if you could do that at the DVLA..someone please correct me if I am wrong.
You can. When I did it in 2005 it cost £5 and they faxed me a copy of my Driving Record. Just call them and ask for a copy of your driving record;

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/contactus/drivers_enquires.aspx
Staffed telephone enquiry hours: 8:00 am - 8:30 pm Monday to Friday and 8:00 am - 5.30 pm on Saturday. Outside these times you normally will be able to listen to a variety of messages covering the most commonly asked question on driver and vehicle licensing and vehicle registration

Telephone: 0870 240 0009
Fax:
0870 240 1651

+44 (0)1792 786 369 (Drivers Abroad)
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

whatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of lightwhatadiva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sasoozie
You can. When I did it in 2005 it cost £5 and they faxed me a copy of my Driving Record. Just call them and ask for a copy of your driving record;

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/contactus/drivers_enquires.aspx
I just spoke to a guy at DVLA, he explained in plain simple terms NO
what he can fax or mail me is the same information that i have on my photo card DL AND on the counterpart paper (which will have any points or fines etcc)
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I just spoke to a guy at DVLA, he explained in plain simple terms NO
what he can fax or mail me is the same information that i have on my photo card DL AND on the counterpart paper (which will have any points or fines etcc)
And how is that different from your DMV 'driving history'?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

But why would you need it....
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

averagepunter is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ray
But why would you need it....
My insurance company asked for it when I got my first auto policy in the US. I know it contains the same info as the paper driving license, but it kept the insurance company happy and got me an experienced driver discount.

Well worth the little effort it took to get it.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by averagepunter
My insurance company asked for it when I got my first auto policy in the US. I know it contains the same info as the paper driving license, but it kept the insurance company happy and got me an experienced driver discount.

Well worth the little effort it took to get it.
And another one falls for the patter ...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for a short time in Canada, to drive the company vehicles the insurance required a "protocol" basically a driving history, so my US licence was no good, but they happily accepted my UK licence card along with the paper counterpart.

So do you need something else?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:46 pm
Ray

I married my Insurance agent before finding out that was a load of
bait and switch ...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:35 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
I married my Insurance agent before finding out that was a load of
bait and switch ...
What, so they tell you you're getting this discount and that discount, but really you're just paying the same as anybody else?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chartreuse
What, so they tell you you're getting this discount and that discount, but really you're just paying the same as anybody else?
Pretty much.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:22 am
Just Joined

averagepunter is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ray
And another one falls for the patter ...
Maybe...Maybe not. I was getting quoted $130 a month without providing the document - so I'm happy to be a sucker if that got me my $70/month deal on a UK licence with no US driving history.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Hi Ya'll

In the past you could request info from DVLA. My husband did it for our insurance so the insurance agent could have physical proof that he had been driving since he was a late teen; otherwise, it would have had him started driving at the age when he immigrated over. DVLA sent information only by mail at the time. This happened 4 years ago.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melody32
In the past you could request info from DVLA. My husband did it for our insurance so the insurance agent could have physical proof that he had been driving since he was a late teen; otherwise, it would have had him started driving at the age when he immigrated over. DVLA sent information only by mail at the time. This happened 4 years ago.
The paper section of your licence has that information on it as did the old pink paper jobbies.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
The paper section of your licence has that information on it as did the old pink paper jobbies.
yup, that's what I showed when we moved to mass, just meant we were considered to be drives 18 and up rather than as a fresh 16 year old driver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.