Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

Old May 30th 2007, 3:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

Near my grandparents' land, and the Rio Grande is a trickle at this point:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...&t=h&z=11&om=1
Old May 30th 2007, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I'll state what I've said for years about Africa.

If our govt was serious about the issue and put the same pressure that was applied against S.A. with apartheid, against the Mexican and other central American governments, so that they were forced to uplift their countries instead of stealing the coffers blind, they'd not want to move here.

Build Mexico up and you'd see how many of them would probably return there, never mind not want to come here. I'm sure they'd all prefer to be among their own people without the racism that they encounter here.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You mean...... USCs.......... becoming janitors... doing yard work... clean people's houses?

Hm...

Sure, it could happen! I have a hard time respecting someone who thinks they are too good to get dirty. I know people who would rather not work (and lose everything) than take a job they feel is beneath them. I wasn't raised that way and my parents led by example. My self respect isn't based on what I do for a living but on what kind of husband I am to my wife and what kind of father I am to my children. I'd rather die a janitor with no regrets on the homefront than a CEO who never saw his son swing a bat or his daughter dance at a recital.

That said,

I was hired as a janitor by my company 15 years ago. I went to night school at a local Junior College as well as working a second job on nights I didn't have school. After I completed my courses, I was promoted into a department that was closely related to my schoolwork. My desk now sits 50 feet from the floors I used to mop. Life is weird.

My wife is also about to apply for a job as a janitor at the County courthouse. The pay is more than she's making now as a part time bankteller, the hours are a great match for the kids schooltimes, and benefits are included after a probationary period. She has a BFA in Technical Theatre/Costume Construction and Design and that's what she'd rather be doing, but not much call for that around here! and the hours suck anyway.

I understand what you're saying and I agree, I just think it's a shame that some Americans are too wrapped up in their job title to realize that it's not the most important thing.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Sure, it could happen! ..............it's a shame that some Americans are too wrapped up in their job title to realize that it's not the most important thing.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how representative would you say you are of the *typical* American?

1 = not at all .................................................. ......... very = 10
Old May 30th 2007, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Nebber gonna hoppen until they bloody ENFORCE fines and jail time against employers.

They have the wrong end of the stick and what's infuriating, they know it.

If they started enforcement and removal procedures now, the undocumented workers here now would be out of a job. Can't have that now that we're going to provide a path to citizenship can we?

:curse:
It was done about 50 years ago, you only need to make a little effort.

But the Employers have a get out - all legislation I have seen requires them to KNOWINGLY hire an illegal, very difficult to prove.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:50 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

On a scale of 1 to 10, how representative would you say you are of the *typical* American?

1 = not at all .................................................. ......... very = 10
Old May 30th 2007, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

to stop that you would need a Great Wall Of America and loads of monitored CCTV and then enough personnel to intercept those who cross.
You said it. Like I said, money and political will.

And yes I've been to the border at a couple of places.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:55 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Boiler
It was done about 50 years ago, you only need to make a little effort.

But the Employers have a get out - all legislation I have seen requires them to KNOWINGLY hire an illegal, very difficult to prove.
Then that needs to be fixed. They can be audited like the IRS audits their books and if documents are clearly forged, they should be fined. Hell, just looking at a credit report can be revealing if there's activity that seems to indicate more than one person using a given SSN.

Until this loophole is closed there will continue to be illegal immigration. I guarantee it's cheaper to run background checks on people via their SSN and purported green card, than to build a fortified monitored and enforced border fence with Mexico.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:58 pm
Lapine Member

Near my grandparents' land, and the Rio Grande is a trickle at this point:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...&t=h&z=11&om=1
corrected link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=13&om=1

The squiggly white line is the Rio Grande and it continues to the Gulf of Mexico. They gonna build a fence out in the Gulf too?
Old May 30th 2007, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Then that needs to be fixed. They can be audited like the IRS audits their books and if documents are clearly forged, they should be fined. Hell, just looking at a credit report can be revealing if there's activity that seems to indicate more than one person using a given SSN.

Until this loophole is closed there will continue to be illegal immigration. I guarantee it's cheaper to run background checks on people via their SSN and purported green card, than to build a fortified monitored and enforced border fence with Mexico.
I have often thought that the solution would be to not allow wages paid to illegal employees to be allowed as a tax deduction.

You would need to be pretty certain that your employees would be kosher then.

And most Business's would not want to mess with the IRS.
Old May 30th 2007, 7:29 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'm pretty typical for my area.
I'm 36, I was hired here the day I turned 21 so my experience is pretty limited. In fact, many of you are probably vastly more experienced in the American corporate world than I am.The "Ladder climbers" that have worked in this office have moved on pretty quickly. An office of overachievers we are not! I think a lot of it is geography, I'm sure it's a whole different ballgame in New York or D.C.