Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

Old May 23rd 2007, 11:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

Originally Posted by mdyoung
........the government has made almost no attempt to try and you only encourage more to come by letting the ones here get a free pass.
I wonder why that is...
Old May 24th 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.immigrationportal.com/sho...00#post1678900

If you like me have not yet filed your I140 due to waiting over 4 years, yes thats 4 years for this ballsup of an operation, can now look forward to the possibility that you will have to pack your bags and go home, as illegals are more important than legals.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:09 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
I wonder why that is...
Business stop the Republicans from doing anything and Democrats see a bunch of new Democrat voters. Both party's hands are dirty on this issue, witnessed by the bill they are trying to ram through before word gets out.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:19 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Stalin rounded up his own people,
The USSR was not a homogeneous entity!
Old May 24th 2007, 1:26 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Business stop the Republicans from doing anything and Democrats see a bunch of new Democrat voters. Both party's hands are dirty on this issue, witnessed by the bill they are trying to ram through before word gets out.
Agree about the Repug's motivation -- after escaping the poverty of a patriarchal oligarchy, wtf would you vote for another one?

But your explanation of the Dems is much more iffy. Even given that new immigrants are more likely to vote, the scenario is at least 15, possibly 20 years off, or in electoral terms, 4 or 5 presidents. Doesn't seem to much of an incentive for me given the timescale.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The USSR was not a homogeneous entity!
Is was still the USSR and I believe the "U" stands for Union. Not like he was sending the French or British off to the gulag.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:37 am
Septicity

Is was still the USSR and I believe the "U" stands for Union. Not like he was sending the French or British off to the gulag.
You can read about it here. A reference to Stalin's own people would mean Georgians.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:49 am

You can read about it here. A reference to Stalin's own people would mean Georgians.
Didn't know Stalin was from Georgia. I heard rumor he was a big NASCAR fan. LOL
Old May 24th 2007, 2:00 am

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0706/p09s01-coop.html
How Eisenhower solved illegal border crossings from Mexico

In 1954, Ike appointed retired Gen. Joseph "Jumpin' Joe" Swing, a former West Point classmate and veteran of the 101st Airborne, as the new INS commissioner.

Influential politicians, including Sen. Lyndon B. Johnson (D) of Texas and Sen. Pat McCarran (D) of Nevada, favored open borders, and were dead set against strong border enforcement, Brownell said. But General Swing's close connections to the president shielded him - and the Border Patrol - from meddling by powerful political and corporate interests.

One of Swing's first decisive acts was to transfer certain entrenched immigration officials out of the border area to other regions of the country where their political connections with people such as Senator Johnson would have no effect.

Then on June 17, 1954, what was called "Operation Wetback" began. Because political resistance was lower in California and Arizona, the roundup of aliens began there. Some 750 agents swept northward through agricultural areas with a goal of 1,000 apprehensions a day. By the end of July, over 50,000 aliens were caught in the two states. Another 488,000, fearing arrest, had fled the country.

By mid-July, the crackdown extended northward into Utah, Nevada, and Idaho, and eastward to Texas.

By September, 80,000 had been taken into custody in Texas, and an estimated 500,000 to 700,000 illegals had left the Lone Star State voluntarily.

Unlike today, Mexicans caught in the roundup were not simply released at the border, where they could easily reenter the US. To discourage their return, Swing arranged for buses and trains to take many aliens deep within Mexico before being set free.

Tens of thousands more were put aboard two hired ships, the Emancipation and the Mercurio. The ships ferried the aliens from Port Isabel, Texas, to Vera Cruz, Mexico, more than 500 miles south.

The sea voyage was "a rough trip, and they did not like it," says Don Coppock, who worked his way up from Border Patrolman in 1941 to eventually head the Border Patrol from 1960 to 1973.

Mr. Coppock says he "cannot understand why [President] Bush let [today's] problem get away from him as it has. I guess it was his compassionate conservatism, and trying to please [Mexican President] Vincente Fox."
Old May 24th 2007, 2:21 am
Septicity

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0706/p09s01-coop.html
How Eisenhower solved illegal border crossings from Mexico
Even given the probably exaggerated figure of 1.3 million repatriations, you're still a factor of at least ten out on current numbers. And lots of things were acceptable in 1954 that would be looked on as unacceptable today, not least of which was the name of the operation.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:32 am

Even given the probably exaggerated figure of 1.3 million repatriations, you're still a factor of at least ten out on current numbers. And lots of things were acceptable in 1954 that would be looked on as unacceptable today, not least of which was the name of the operation.
So are we supposed to just throw up our hands and not even try. Heard on the radio the other morning a spot about local police going to be checking for seatbelt use and giving out tickets and it's funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation. If the Federal government can spend the money to go after law breakers like me for not wearing my seatbelt, they sure as hell can try rounding up illegals. I guess if all illegals didn't wear seatbelts the Federal government would then concider them a problem.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:48 am
Septicity

So are we supposed to just throw up our hands and not even try. Heard on the radio the other morning a spot about local police going to be checking for seatbelt use and giving out tickets and it's funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation. If the Federal government can spend the money to go after law breakers like me for not wearing my seatbelt, they sure as hell can try rounding up illegals. I guess if all illegals didn't wear seatbelts the Federal government would then concider them a problem.
Hey are doing something -- they're trying to pass a bill! Late, I'll give you, but better late than never.

Personally, I don't care whether they just hand all the illegals green cards straight out for nothing. The milk's spilt, and it's too late to cry about it. And the US government, corporations and the citizenry who benefited from it is just as culpable as the fence climbers themselves. They are too interwoven into society with mortgages, kids who are already USCs and a support network to simply kick 'em out. And the logistics are also near impossible.

What I do care about is they stop the problem happening again and I'm also against their stupid gastarbeiter program. Today's reduction from 400k to 200k was just a rather silly PR stunt that seems to believe we're all stupid enough to fall for it. Moaning about the "amnesty" just allows them to proceed with the really damaging parts of the bill without scrutiny.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hey are doing something -- they're trying to pass a bill! Late, I'll give you, but better late than never.

Personally, I don't care whether they just hand all the illegals green cards straight out for nothing. The milk's spilt, and it's too late to cry about it. And the US government, corporations and the citizenry who benefited from it is just as culpable as the fence climbers themselves. They are too interwoven into society with mortgages, kids who are already USCs and a support network to simply kick 'em out. And the logistics are also near impossible.

What I do care about is they stop the problem happening again and I'm also against their stupid gastarbeiter program. Today's reduction from 400k to 200k was just a rather silly PR stunt that seems to believe we're all stupid enough to fall for it. Moaning about the "amnesty" just allows them to proceed with the really damaging parts of the bill without scrutiny.
So what is the alternative to a Gastarbeiter program?
Old May 24th 2007, 2:54 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Elvira
So what is the alternative to a Gastarbeiter program?
Nothing. Let Americans do the work. And let wages rise.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:56 am
Homebody

Nothing. Let Americans do the work. And let wages rise.
You mean...... USCs.......... becoming janitors... doing yard work... clean people's houses?

Hm...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.