Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

Old May 17th 2007, 6:08 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future
Default US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

BBC News article

The White House and the US Senate have reached a deal on an immigration bill that could give legal status to millions of illegal immigrants.

Democratic Senator Edward Kennedy confirmed the agreement that would also establish a merit-based system for future migrants.

US President George W Bush is expected to endorse the bill, which strengthens border controls, Mr Kennedy said.

The bipartisan group is set to announce details of the accord on Thursday.

Points system

A centrepiece of the deal was the establishment of a "points system" that would emphasise immigrants' education and job skills over family connections in awarding green cards.

After first paying visa fees and a $5,000 fine - and returning to their home country - illegal immigrants would be eligible for the new "Z visa".

The permanent residency application process would take between eight and 13 years under the proposed bill.

The bill is expected to cause passionate debate in the Senate next week.

Immigration reform has been one of Mr Bush's top priorities in government, after the so-called "war on terror".

Last edited by James Box; May 17th 2007 at 6:08 pm. Reason: Link added
Old May 17th 2007, 6:40 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US 'deal' on illegal immigrants

"The permanent residency application process would take between eight and 13 years under the proposed bill."

Awesome
Old May 17th 2007, 6:58 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Democratic Senator Edward Kennedy confirmed the agreement that would also establish a merit-based system for future migrants.
I assume country of origin plays a part in the merit-based system knowing old Teddy.
If you are white and of Irish descent I would imagine you get to go to the front of the queue.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:02 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I assume country of origin plays a part in the merit-based system knowing old Teddy.
If you are white and of Irish descent I would imagine you get to go to the front of the queue.
cynic
Old May 17th 2007, 7:04 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I recall reading somewhere that there are more illegal Canadians and Irish (combined) than all non- Mexican hispanics. A hefty voting block for Mr. Chappiquiddick.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
"The permanent residency application process would take between eight and 13 years under the proposed bill."

Awesome
Sorta.

But if they make it too tough and the target group just reject it and carry on doing what they've already been doing, what are they going to do then? The simple logistics of enforcement suggest it would break any attempt to enforce this law.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ironporer
I recall reading somewhere that there are more illegal Canadians and Irish (combined) than all non- Mexican hispanics. A hefty voting block for Mr. Chappiquiddick.
I really doubt that, I don't think Ireland is even in the top ten of places that illegals come from.

In fact these are the figures according to Wikipedia from Jan 2006
Mexico 6,840,000 57%
Latin & Central Amer. 3,000,000 24%
Asia 1,080,000 9%
Europe + Canada 720,000 6%
Rest of World 480,000 4%
Old May 17th 2007, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Amusing, nobody knows.

How did they count them?
Old May 17th 2007, 7:46 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
BBC News article

After first paying visa fees and a $5,000 fine - and returning to their home country - illegal immigrants would be eligible for the new "Z visa".
Five grand, going home and waiting? These folks are here to feed their families. The only people who could afford to do that are those who've "made it" here, own homes here, etc and am I being cynical to suggest that these folks are more likely to vote Republican than the guy still picking grapes?
Old May 17th 2007, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Five grand, going home and waiting? These folks are here to feed their families. The only people who could afford to do that are those who've "made it" here, own homes here, etc and am I being cynical to suggest that these folks are more likely to vote Republican than the guy still picking grapes?
Nope, the devil is in the detail:

Under the deal, undocumented workers who crossed into the country before Jan. 1 would be offered a temporary-residency permit while they await a new "Z Visa" that would allow them to live and work lawfully here. The head of an illegal-immigrant household would have eight years to return to his or her home country to apply for permanent legal residence for members of the household, but each Z Visa itself would be renewable indefinitely, as long as the holder passes a criminal background check, remains fully employed and pays a $5,000 fine, plus a paperwork-processing fee.
Z Visa holders can also sponsor parents, spouses and children.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:10 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I guarantee you that the queue from people who've worked illegally in the US who can fork out $5K and wait, is going to be significantly full of people who did not come from Latin America.

You know how much people are willing to pay to get into the US.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

I should mention that those unauthorised workers who go through the current IR/CR Spousal process etc in Mexico can apply, wait here, go back the day before the interview, file an immediate waiver and assuming it is clearly approvable they will be back within 2 weeks.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about the majority of "might be" future constitutents in my neighborhood?
Old May 17th 2007, 8:14 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Boiler
I should mention that those unauthorised workers who go through the current IR/CR Spousal process etc in Mexico can apply, wait here, go back the day before the interview, file an immediate waiver and assuming it is clearly approvable they will be back within 2 weeks.
If the deal goes through I assure you that there will be current H-1B holders who wished they'd gone out of status on the 31st December.

Though possibly if they worked on the side (or their H-4 spouses worked) that might count? Cos is it only illegal presence, or illegally working? Two different matters.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Z Visa holders can also sponsor parents, spouses and children.
But early reports state there will be a general move away from family-based immigration towards skill based. Looks like they're considering limiting the numbers for parental immigration for starters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.