Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Customs - Duties and Taxes on Shipped Effects

US Customs - Duties and Taxes on Shipped Effects

Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold
Default US Customs - Duties and Taxes on Shipped Effects

Hi.
I've been getting quotes on shipping personal effects etc over to the States from UK. Almost all of them include "UK Export Fees to include US Customs Excluding Duties and Taxes"
Can anyone give me any idea on how much these are likely to be? Approx?!!?
Thanks.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Customs - Duties and Taxes on Shipped Effects

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi.
I've been getting quotes on shipping personal effects etc over to the States from UK. Almost all of them include "UK Export Fees to include US Customs Excluding Duties and Taxes"
Thanks.
Shouldn't cost you anything (duty/taxes, I mean) for bringing in personal effects if you are immigrating.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a rule that you have to have owed the item for 12 months and then you dont pay import duty. You dont have to prove receipts etc - but make sure nothing is still new in box!!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the stuff too...but as long as it doesn't look brand spanking new, you probably won't have to pay anything for it....though the shippers should be able to provide you with some idea for your stuff.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi.
Thanks.
We shipped our stuff last year from UK and paid just under 6K (pounds) for everything including packing and getting the stuff door to door to the Dallas area. This was for a 40ft container (a very full 4 bedroom house!).

The only thing we were told before it left was that customs "may" want to x-ray the container for which we would be charged in the region of $1500.00 by US Customs. Fortunately this wasn't the case, but they did charge us $75.00 for opening 1 box which we have never seen since . I have visions of US Customs guys in Galveston wearing my wife's underwear and summer stuff )

We used Britannia if that's any help. They were very good.
http://www.britannia-movers.co.uk/re...l-shipping.htm

One thing to do though is to make sure you have a COMPLETE inventory of every box. Not only for customs, but also for when it arrives so you know to go out and buy more knickers if customs have lost that box.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
We shipped our stuff last year from UK and paid just under 6K (pounds) for everything including packing and getting the stuff door to door to the Dallas area. This was for a 40ft container (a very full 4 bedroom house!).

The only thing we were told before it left was that customs "may" want to x-ray the container for which we would be charged in the region of $1500.00 by US Customs. Fortunately this wasn't the case, but they did charge us $75.00 for opening 1 box which we have never seen since . I have visions of US Customs guys in Galveston wearing my wife's underwear and summer stuff )

We used Britannia if that's any help. They were very good.
http://www.britannia-movers.co.uk/re...l-shipping.htm

One thing to do though is to make sure you have a COMPLETE inventory of every box. Not only for customs, but also for when it arrives so you know to go out and buy more knickers if customs have lost that box.

That explains the strange sights we saw in Galveston last year
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
That explains the strange sights we saw in Galveston last year
Surprised you could see anything with a pair of knickers on your head.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
Surprised you could see anything with a pair of knickers on your head.

They were crotchless!