US Customs

Old Mar 9th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Customs

Took me about 40 minutes to get through immigration (the guy doing it couldn't have walked any slower if he'd tried), then another 20 minutes for customs (they decided to pick us since we had the maximum luggage allowance and it was all close to the weight limit (I can only assume!) - so I had to lift every single massive heavy suitcase onto the table so they could use their new magic scanner, but they still poked around in it a bit as well)
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Eagle_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JSL8610
To clarify, by "customs" I assume you mean "immigration". Clearing customs will take very little time.

James
Yes, I meant immigration. Sorry.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by avanutria
Can you tell us what airport you are planning on flying into?
I haven't booked the flights yet, but have looked at some and it looks like it will either be Detroit or Atlanta.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
Is that no direct flights from the UK or no direct flights full stop.

Where I live has no direct UK flights and when we came for visits we flew to SFO and changed there. But when I came on my visa we changed in FRA and took the direct flight to Portland, purley to avoid any complciations by delays being processed on arrival in the US. Just a thought if the option is available to you.
I know there are direct flights to New York or Phoenix but there aren't any to Tulsa, OK (that I can see) or Springfield, MO. That's what I meant.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to all for their replies. It seems that it depends on the time of day and the airport you fly into. And if you have the misfortune to be faced with a trainee official, that would make it more frustrating.

It looks like it will be Detroit that we will fly into. I've found some flights where it will be 7 hours until the connecting flight. I think my wife and I will groan if it only takes me less than an hour to get through immigration and customs. But, better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Eagle_Eyes; Mar 10th 2012 at 9:12 am.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Life.Lines is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello BritishExpats,

I am arriving at JFK from Germany, have a waiting time of 3:25 hours. Reading through this thread, it seems that it may not be sufficient especially that I need to collect my luggages and check-in with AA to LAX. My questions is: if I didn't catch the next fly due to security check, is there any possibility of reimbursement or booking a second flight free or at a lower rate? I am asking because I have the possibility until next week to change the flight date/time for a premium.

Many thanks
Old Mar 10th 2012, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

MtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond repute

My preference when flying through Philadelphia from Manchester to Richmond is to book a connecting flight at the 90 minute mark. I book through Expedia and us US Airways as they are the most convenient.
Because US Airways have a flight to Richmond every hour, on the occasions where it all goes wrong (slow through immigration or when the baggage belt breaks down before delivering your colleagues bags......) I have just gone to the US Airways desk and they put me on the next flight (no extra cost). So far there has always been a seat available.
Admittedly I normally travel on my own and without too much luggage.

Carl.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eagle_Eyes
I know there are direct flights to New York or Phoenix but there aren't any to Tulsa, OK (that I can see) or Springfield, MO. That's what I meant.
There is only 1 flight a day in to Phoenix from Europe, no flights on. Wednesday I think. It arrives around 6pm and is often late (head winds at altitude).

That said, when we came in on our L1 visa to Phoenix, customs and immigration were both courteous, helpful and quick. Actual processing was around 20 mins total. No secondary. Come in on a Tuesday (little business/tourist traffic) - pretty quiet all round. We had 9 bags/suitcases and 3 dogs to get through! Just the 2 of us. You'd come in to T4 and South West Air are effectively in same building...

Good luck

Harry
Old Mar 10th 2012, 4:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Life.Lines
Hello BritishExpats,

I am arriving at JFK from Germany, have a waiting time of 3:25 hours. Reading through this thread, it seems that it may not be sufficient especially that I need to collect my luggages and check-in with AA to LAX. My questions is: if I didn't catch the next fly due to security check, is there any possibility of reimbursement or booking a second flight free or at a lower rate? I am asking because I have the possibility until next week to change the flight date/time for a premium.

Many thanks
That's what travel insurance is for.

Other wise you are at the mercy of the airline and 3 hours would ordinarily be enough time, so they might not be very accommodating.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
That's what travel insurance is for.

Other wise you are at the mercy of the airline and 3 hours would ordinarily be enough time, so they might not be very accommodating.
Thank you very much for your reply. I hope I will not need it. However, does one normally book a travel insurance along with the ticket? I did my booking through Fluege.de and they offered me a flexible pack for rebooking valid only half the time before the travel date. Nothing about travel insurance!
Old Mar 10th 2012, 7:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for your reply. I hope I will not need it. However, does one normally book a travel insurance along with the ticket? I did my booking through Fluege.de and they offered me a flexible pack for rebooking valid only half the time before the travel date. Nothing about travel insurance!
Travel insurance, get it where ever...in the UK you could get it at the grocery store or post office even.....out in the US, most people don't bother so it's not as common.

Google it, I'm sure you'll find plenty.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bob.
Looking at the baggage allowance on American Airlines website, it seems that I need to pay an amount of $25 for my bag when I check-in at JFK!! Is it normal? My e-ticket states that I am allowed one piece, however my economy class doesn't fall into any of their exceptions for this payment?
Old Mar 11th 2012, 12:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Who knows...each airline is different....give them a call...

Most do charge for domestic flights though.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob.
Looking at the baggage allowance on American Airlines website, it seems that I need to pay an amount of $25 for my bag when I check-in at JFK!! Is it normal? My e-ticket states that I am allowed one piece, however my economy class doesn't fall into any of their exceptions for this payment?
Do you have one ticket all the way from germany to LA,Or a separate one for each leg?
If it's one ticket you shouldn't need to pay extra.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Norri
Do you have one ticket all the way from germany to LA,Or a separate one for each leg?
If it's one ticket you shouldn't need to pay extra.
Many thanks Norri.
I booked the ticket at Fluege.de as DUS - LAX with one stop at JFK, so it has one booking code and one ticket number.