Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Customer Service?

US Customer Service?

Old Jul 29th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Customer Service?

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
My digital camera developed a fault and an independent company said the image sensor needed to be replaced and the cost would be $150! Of course, the camera is just a couple of months out of warranty! ....!"
Can you take out an extended warranty now, with Fuji, and then in a few weeks phone them up and say, "You'll never guess what, it was a good idea to take out that insurance as my camera had just gone wrong...."

I would agree with those that say you just need to keep going up the chain of command until you get to someone who can make a decision, most of the time the higher ups just want an easy life and will give in. Also I have noticed here that these so-called customer service lines are staffed by people who all seem to think they are supervisors or managers, and refuse to pass you on to anyone else "I am the supervisor...".
My ploy is to call their bluff. Something like "Ok, great, seems like I have found the right person, what I want is..." to which they normally respond "I can't do that..." to which I reply something like " well it doesn't seem like you have the authority to make that decision then, please pass me to someone who can..."

Good luck

- Tim
Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
I bet they told you to have a nice day though!

That kills me every time, especially when you are clearly frustrated and they haven't been able (or are not willing because of their "rules") to help you and you get some robot saying "I trust I have exceeded your expectations in customer service, have a wonderful day".... Aaargh!
or.......

"Is there anything else we can help you with today?"
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing I really have noticed here is that I never have to argue with store people about returning goods. Sometimes no questions are even asked. 180 degrees from my experiences in the UK.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
I bet they told you to have a nice day though!

That kills me every time, especially when you are clearly frustrated and they haven't been able (or are not willing because of their "rules") to help you and you get some robot saying "I trust I have exceeded your expectations in customer service, have a wonderful day".... Aaargh!

I know for one, that when people call us for quotes on fees - its pretty much a set scale for our part of things every time - but I am told to not give out quotes and to merely give a price range and tell them it will be between such and such. Why? Cos they are covering their backs for when you come back and say but you told me it would only be $150.

I think generally, the only service I would say that is superior here, is in restaurants and only then cos they want a good tip.

Actually ... the people I spoke to didn't bother with the "Have a nice day" ... probably because by the end of the conversation they were fully aware that I was rather unhappy with the service provided!

You know, I quite understand that they have to cover their backs ... which is why I said "If you get the camera and it is simply a case that the image sensor needs to be replaced and nothing else is wrong what would that cost? If the price is agreeable, I send you the camera and then if you diagnose a further problem you can advise on further cost. Surely you can quote for the fault that has been diagnosed, especially when your UK division did this immediately without any problem?" But, I got the same stock answer "The cost will be between $100 and $200." Without any explanation as to why the previous representative had quoted $70 to $150!

I think I may just check out Canon ... my last camera was a Canon and I never had a problem with it, I only bought the Fuji camera because at the time it was getting the best reviews. At the moment I need a camera as a couple of people are waiting on me to get their business cards printed, so if I buy a new one I can then write to Fuji and try to get that camera fixed FOC, without having to worry about how long it takes to get the problem solved.

I know customer service in the UK isn't always the best, but in this case Fuji UK get top marks whilst Fuji USA is the pitts!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
The one thing I really have noticed here is that I never have to argue with store people about returning goods. Sometimes no questions are even asked. 180 degrees from my experiences in the UK.
I agree, returning anything in the stores here is easy. I bought a pair of jeans the other week ... they were half price but I hadn't noticed that the reason for the deduction was because they were faulty. Took them back and swopped them for a full priced pair but the assistant refused to take my money and simply told me to "Have a nice day!" ..
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Can you take out an extended warranty now, with Fuji, and then in a few weeks phone them up and say, "You'll never guess what, it was a good idea to take out that insurance as my camera had just gone wrong...."
Not sure if I can do that, but worth a try ... thanks for the tip!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
not always the case though...the missus was trying to return some shoes to JC Penny, had go through a lot of B/S...they didn't want to return as they said it was sold in the previous month, the last day of the month no less, and still within 30 days, the soles of the shoes had fallen off...

I never had that problem returning stuff like that in the UK, so it really does depend on which shops you use, in either country really...
Old Jul 30th 2005, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Often you will get more accurate information from customer service emails than phone calls.

My digital camera developed a fault and an independent company said the image sensor needed to be replaced and the cost would be $150! Of course, the camera is just a couple of months out of warranty!

Not being sure whether the cost estimated was correct or not I contacted Fuji by phone ... was on hold for 10 minutes, someone answered and then put me on hold for another 10 minutes, someone else answered and then put me on hold for another 15 minutes .... then someone finally talked to me and said the cost of repair would be between $70 and $150. Couldn't they give me a more exact costing ... no!

So, I email their customer service dept and get a really quick response from their UK division confirming exact cost, etc ... but of course, that costing doesn't apply over here. Back I go to the USA division ... three emails later and I finally get a response, which only says to call their customer service dept. At this point I'm rather irritated, but I call and wait on hold and then am told that the repair will be between $100 and $200?

I ask why they can't give an exact cost to replace the image sensor if their UK division can, they reply "We need to diagnose the fault here." I say, "Ok, so you get the camera and diagnose that the image sensor needs to be replaced, so what will you tell me then? Surely you won't be calling and telling me that you will fix it and the cost will be anything between $100 and $200 ... you must know the exact cost for this particular replacement part?" Fuji customer service response, "The cost will be between $100 and $200."

I give up ... so how come the UK division is super efficient and can quote to replace the image sensor without any problem, but the US division can't? My husband's response to my frustration was "Welcome to America!"
Old Jul 31st 2005, 7:06 am
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

My digital camera developed a fault and an independent company said the image sensor needed to be replaced and the cost would be $150! Of course, the camera is just a couple of months out of warranty!

Not being sure whether the cost estimated was correct or not I contacted Fuji by phone ... was on hold for 10 minutes, someone answered and then put me on hold for another 10 minutes, someone else answered and then put me on hold for another 15 minutes .... then someone finally talked to me and said the cost of repair would be between $70 and $150. Couldn't they give me a more exact costing ... no!

So, I email their customer service dept and get a really quick response from their UK division confirming exact cost, etc ... but of course, that costing doesn't apply over here. Back I go to the USA division ... three emails later and I finally get a response, which only says to call their customer service dept. At this point I'm rather irritated, but I call and wait on hold and then am told that the repair will be between $100 and $200?

I ask why they can't give an exact cost to replace the image sensor if their UK division can, they reply "We need to diagnose the fault here." I say, "Ok, so you get the camera and diagnose that the image sensor needs to be replaced, so what will you tell me then? Surely you won't be calling and telling me that you will fix it and the cost will be anything between $100 and $200 ... you must know the exact cost for this particular replacement part?" Fuji customer service response, "The cost will be between $100 and $200."

I give up ... so how come the UK division is super efficient and can quote to replace the image sensor without any problem, but the US division can't? My husband's response to my frustration was "Welcome to America!"

So you are trying to cast a bad light on American customer service because of your experience with one company????
Old Jul 31st 2005, 7:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
So you are trying to cast a bad light on American customer service because of your experience with one company????
everyone's allowed to be jaded now and again with there bad experiences.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 7:32 am
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
She mentioned one experience and then made it out to be a problem with American customer service.

She's allowed to feel however "jaded" as she likes as I am allowed to point out the absurdity of her jadeness.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 2:04 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I had any problem returning something in the UK was a purchase from C & A. I bought a skirt for 19.99 on a Wednesday. At that time C & A had stopped having fitting rooms so you could try stuff on before you bought it. They said it was to cut down on shoplifting. On the Saturday I took the skirt back because it didn't fit right together with my original receipt. Went to customer service and she refunded me 12.99, When I told her that was wrong she said "no, the skirt is now in the sale so we can only give you back the current price". I asked to see the Manager and he said the same thing and added that now they would only be able to sell that skirt for 12.99 thus making a loss if they game me back 19.99. I told him that was BS, that even at 12.99 he was making a profit. After back and forth for several minutes and threatening all sorts of media exposure of how C & A rob their customers blind, he gave me back the full price but informed me it was done as a good faith gesture. Needless to say I never went back.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Fig Newton reminds me so much of Warrior Life .....
Old Jul 31st 2005, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fig Newton
She mentioned one experience and then made it out to be a problem with American customer service.

She's allowed to feel however "jaded" as she likes as I am allowed to point out the absurdity of her jadeness.
One experience with Fuji customer service ... UK division 10/10 ... US division 0/10 ... and there is nowt absurd in pointing out the difference in customer service received from the same company which happens to operate in the UK and US.

I do believe I did mention how good my experience with customer service has been in US stores ... but you wouldn't have bothered to notice that.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 8:47 pm
Banned

One experience with Fuji customer service ... UK division 10/10 ... US division 0/10 ... and there is nowt absurd in pointing out the difference in customer service received from the same company which happens to operate in the UK and US.

I do believe I did mention how good my experience with customer service has been in US stores ... but you wouldn't have bothered to notice that.
So why title your thread "US Customer Service" instead of Fuji customer service? Why also throw in your husband's welcome to America comment?

If you are going to knock something then at least be fair and logical about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.