Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:25 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

Originally Posted by Rete
Here is what I found out about the LIFE Act.
Yep, there is the law and then there is interpretation and application of the law.
My opinion is that ICE is currently being punitive in the application and causing more harm than good.

Last edited by nun; Apr 3rd 2017 at 10:40 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Looks to me as if they are following the letter of the law since his I-130 was not filed between 1998 and April 30, 2001.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The trouble with living outside the law is that you no longer have the protection of it.
In all the old-time Western (cowboy) movies, there were always "outlaws" among the baddies. Robin Hood was an outlaw, too, further back. By declaring specific individuals to be outlaws, the legal authorities formally and publicly withdrew the protection of the law from them. That made an outlaw a non-person; he didn't legally exist, any more. So anybody could rob, torture or kill him without penalty. The victims of the US laws against "illegal aliens" should be very glad they weren't declared "outlaws"!
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Gordon that it is a good thing criminal protections have evolved and strengthened - and disagree that illegal aliens who get deported are the "victims."

I am not sure the point here. Is it that non-USCs should not have to obey US laws when in the US? Or that being married to a USC exempts you from US law? Or maybe that "stuff that" is a valid justification for breaking the law?

Again, why should I or anyone else bother to obey the law, if others are allowed to say "stuff that" and face no consequences, even when offered multiple paths to compliance over periods of several years.

ICE are not the ones who are breaking up families . . . but personal responsibility is a "no-go zone" these days.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
Yes, I did not want to get into the weeds.......the I-130 is the adjustment of status form required in the GC process. Now that ICE is ignoring the route to adjustment of status for undocumented aliens in the US I expect that there will be law suits filed. These cases and "The Dreamers" are certainly an interesting test of both US legislation and maybe the soul of America.
I 130 is just about proof of relationship, to adjust in country is the I 485.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK seem to be also cracking down on overstayers. Yet another one today.

Popular north London shop worker faces deportation after 26 years in UK | London Evening Standard
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30

Popular north London shop worker faces deportation after 26 years in UK | London Evening Standard
So by implication would it be more acceptable to deport him if he was unpopular?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So by implication would it be more acceptable to deport him if he was unpopular?
He's not that popular with only 700 people signing the petition. People will sign anything these days.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do people continue to make petitions that aren't through the UK government's website?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I would argue that a "utilitarian" approach is good in such circumstances. Deporting the non-resident spouse and separating them from their family hurts more innocent people than it punishes guilty ones. Also overstaying a visa is a small infraction. There is little public interest in ripping apart US families...it causes more harm than good. There is the law and then there is the just application of the law and I think ICE is being unjust in such cases.
The "utilitarian approach" could cut a different way. I think enforcing the immigration laws somewhat harshly could be good for the whole system in the long run (although harsh for the individuals implicated) by making the rules and system seem predictable and deterring those who wish to take short cuts. As long as amnesty continues to be provided, the next waves will arrive hoping for another amnesty grant.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:50 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
The "utilitarian approach" could cut a different way. I think enforcing the immigration laws somewhat harshly could be good for the whole system in the long run (although harsh for the individuals implicated) by making the rules and system seem predictable and deterring those who wish to take short cuts. As long as amnesty continues to be provided, the next waves will arrive hoping for another amnesty grant.
Good point....how far do we project the "good". Call me a softly and shortsighted, but I'll go with keeping the family together and the kids happy in these cases as was the previous policy. I believe this produces good for the family and good for the greater society too as it encourages people to get into compliance and keeps a family together.

Last edited by nun; Apr 4th 2017 at 3:12 am.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Good point....how far do we project the "good". Call me a softly and shortsighted, but I'll go with keeping the family together and the kids happy in these cases as was the previous policy. I believe this produces good for the family and good for the greater society too as it encourages people to get into compliance and keeps a family together.
The problem needs to be solved through border control, and better controls on those within the country in the country illegally. By making it easier to be in the country illegally and helping those that are, just perpetuates the problem, as harsh as this is for many families.

I would hazard a guess if the country took serious measures to deal with the problem and not the symptoms, then perhaps it could be more generous to families already here- but without serious measures lax enforcement of immigration laws just encourages more illegal immigration. Not to mention the effect on wages of the working poor.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

see post #28 for the earlier posting of this..
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He's not that popular with only 700 people signing the petition. People will sign anything these days.

"Mr Janokvic is understood to have applied for asylum when he arrived in the country but his application was refused.

It is believed his leave to remain in the country expired in 1999 ........"

So maybe he should've sorted out his status and then he'd have been more popular?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was last in Yugoslavia 35 years ago, bit I left, not very popular.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.