British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US 'could be going bankrupt' says research by the Federal Reserve (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-could-going-bankrupt-says-research-federal-reserve-385286/)

cabritpop Jul 17th 2006 2:46 am

US 'could be going bankrupt' says research by the Federal Reserve

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...14/ixcity.html

I read this short article and for some reason had to have a chuckle. Maybe I'm just twisted or maybe it's because I'm eventually departing "The greatest country in the world to live" as I keep hearing especially from people in my part of the country. God bless America! Funny how on money it says 'In God we trust' so trust in the mighty dollar as it is a deity here. A nation founded on genocide, ethnic cleansing and by pagans.

mayflower_compact Jul 17th 2006 6:20 am

Re: US 'could be going bankrupt' says research by the Federal Reserve

Don't let the door hit you on your way out :mad:

snowbunny Jul 17th 2006 7:23 am

Quite a kneejerk reaction, "Mayflower Compact"!

While I don't think the US's going bankrupt is anything to laugh about, I guess it does vindicate someone who's tired of hearing how unilaterally great the US is.

I'm also concerned about the future of this country and I *am* American, so I certainly am not one of the ones burbling on about how America is the best and greatest full stop.

Angry White Pyjamas Jul 17th 2006 1:20 pm

The baby boomers fueled the last 30 years of US fiscal greatness....now they will start to bring it down again.

Manc Jul 17th 2006 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
The baby boomers fueled the last 30 years of US fiscal greatness....now they will start to bring it down again.

if you consider a lot of people, baby boomers have 2 houses, can you imagine how much property is gonna flood the market in the next few years as they pop their clogs?

I envision economic meltdown myself.

Angry White Pyjamas Jul 17th 2006 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
if you consider a lot of people, baby boomers have 2 houses, can you imagine how much property is gonna flood the market in the next few years as they pop their clogs?

I envision economic meltdown myself.

It aint gonna be pretty. I remember reading somewhere that the baby boom generation are/were the richest that ever was and ever will be. Once that wealth goes and the outfall (eg unwanted property) hits the economy...ouch.

franc11s Jul 17th 2006 3:19 pm

Bankruptcy won't happen BUT the deficit and continued borrowing will see a return to $2 to the pound. Something has to give.

snowbunny Jul 17th 2006 6:14 pm

It aint gonna be pretty. I remember reading somewhere that the baby boom generation are/were the richest that ever was and ever will be. Once that wealth goes and the outfall (eg unwanted property) hits the economy...ouch.

Why do you think growing the population (through immigration) is important? Someone's got to work and buy stuff.

The same will happen in Western Europe, though.

Those of us who are baby busters will be able to pick up what we want on the cheap; but unless the baby boomers are given near-free health care and a retirement lifestyle similar to their parents', they are going to riot.

Perhaps at that point, Mexico will become like Spain is today: a very realistic retirement destination.

Sarah Jul 17th 2006 6:23 pm

Civil War II !

Most kids of baby boomers are just twiddling their thumbs until mom and pop kick the bucket so they can their hands on a free house.

Irn-bru Jul 17th 2006 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop
A nation founded on genocide, ethnic cleansing and by pagans.

Woa - know why you're going home then, when you have that opinion :eek:

vegas Jul 17th 2006 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
Civil War II !

Most kids of baby boomers are just twiddling their thumbs until mom and pop kick the bucket so they can their hands on a free house.

I think the kids are going to be mightly dissappointed as the parents will sell their homes for home income plans to supplement their meagre pensions. Would you live in poverty so your kids could blow it on a new Porsche.

leedsPaddy Jul 18th 2006 12:16 am

Originally Posted by cabritpop
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...14/ixcity.html

I read this short article and for some reason had to have a chuckle. Maybe I'm just twisted or maybe it's because I'm eventually departing "The greatest country in the world to live" as I keep hearing especially from people in my part of the country. God bless America! Funny how on money it says 'In God we trust' so trust in the mighty dollar as it is a deity here. A nation founded on genocide, ethnic cleansing and by pagans.

F-u-c-k off back to the hole you came from you s-c-u-m-b-a-g. I'm a proud brit but I also love this country. You are a typical liberal, full of lies and hate for this country. This country doesn't need lowlife like you..........so don't ever bother coming back

exiledscot Jul 18th 2006 1:59 am

o.k here is a question
how many people here would borrow money, then buy goods from the person they are borrowing money from with the money borrowed?

USA from China
Goods from China to U.S.A

elfman Jul 18th 2006 2:14 am

Originally Posted by leedsPaddy
F-u-c-k off back to the hole you came from you s-c-u-m-b-a-g. I'm a proud brit but I also love this country. You are a typical liberal, full of lies and hate for this country. This country doesn't need lowlife like you..........so don't ever bother coming back

So tell us....which one are you:

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/a...ts_200x200.jpg

Rushman Jul 18th 2006 2:28 am

Originally Posted by elfman

""A-N-I-M-A-L""