Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Congress to rethink visa waiver program

US Congress to rethink visa waiver program

Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:33 pm
ImHere

Default Re: US Congress to rethink visa waiver program

Originally Posted by Manc
Will UK immigration reciprocate and demand all US visitors to the UK get a suitable visa before travelling?
Dont be daft. Unless bush asks our Tone to do it...

Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Lieberman has always been a fool and it is not surprising to see that he has not changed.

It is sincerely hoped by this American Citizen that the other members of Congress are not as foolishly myopic as Mr. Lieberman. I don't believe that anyone can honestly believe, after the initial of OMG they could come here and do the same thing here has worn off and common sense prevails, that curtailing or even severely limiting its useage, would stop a terrorist from entering the US to attain his/her goal. What would you do with the Canadian or Mexican border? Hell, we can't stop the illegals from entering what makes the Congress think tampering with the VWP is going to do anything other than undermine tourism and business travel.

Perhaps Mr. Lieberman might be better served if he were to put a bill before the Senate to build a wall around the boundaries of the US with only four points of entry; one on each coast. Put in floating airports on the Atlantic and Pacific sides and arrange to lease land from the Mexican and Canadian governments for land to build airports in their country so that visitors can land there and be taken by rail or road to an internal airport to complete their destination to their desired US city.

Politics and politicans -- they "tic" me off more often than necessary
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

welykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ImHere
I think they will be screwed. A lot of E2 businesses will go to the wall if this goes through.
I suppose they could tweak the system so that a B2 would be valid for a year or 5 with no single stay to exceed 3 months that way holiday home owners and business travellers wouldn't have to constantly reapply
She says hopefully
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbark
As anotherlimey (I think it was) mentioned might happen, in the "Wot I lurned on fox" thread, the US Dept of Homeland Security have seen the British-born terrorist bombers as a potential threat to the US.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8564983/

Quote:-

London bombs spur Congress to rethink visas
Under waiver program, jihadists from U.K., other nations can enter U.S.

WASHINGTON - Members of Congress with responsibility for homeland security were just beginning Wednesday to assess the implications of the news from Britain that the suicide bombers who killed 52 people in London last week were British citizens and thus would not have been subject to face-to-face visa interviews to enter the United States.

Since the United Kingdom is one of the 27 countries in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program, jihadists from Britain — as long as they were British citizens — could potentially enter the United States with less scrutiny than the U.S. government gives to visa applicants from al Qaida originating countries such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, or Pakistan.

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., the ranking Democrat on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said Wednesday, “I’ve been concerned about the Visa Waiver Program generally. I think this finding in London just deepens that concern and should lead our government to work very aggressively with the countries that enjoy the benefits of that program to end it — or to begin to curtail it and put some rules on it. It is a big opening in our security apparatus.�

<snip>

Rumsfeld comment on U.K. as terrorist base
Indicating the political sensitivity of the fact that Britain is now the home of suicide bombers, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said at a press briefing Tuesday that Islamic terrorists' goal “is to build and secure new bases for extremists and violent terrorism acts.�

When a reporter asked whether there was now a terrorism base in the United Kingdom, Rumsfeld quickly added, “I did not mean to leave the impression that the terrorists intended to try to make the U.K. a terrorist haven.�
At the end of the day, it is a a war between the have and have nots.
The Middle East side is not passing their oil profits down to their people in increased standards of living etc. Because of domestic racism in their own countries.
We in the West are led by government policies of no racism allowed or you`ll be jailed. Until that changes, the have nots will always be able to explode bombs under the haves!!!
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Will UK immigration reciprocate and demand all US visitors to the UK get a suitable visa before travelling?
would be amusing, though means that most people from the US wouldn't bother with the UK...not enough getting passports, so why would they bother with pesky things like getting a visa?

Would knacker the tourist industry on both ends of the pond...
Old Jul 15th 2005, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Er, I'm not quite sure how he thinks a 'face to face' interview would have done anything to stop these British bombers if they'd wanted to bomb the US. By all accounts they were completely 'clean,' never been in trouble before, no criminal record or anything. I'm quite sure they'd have been happily granted a B2 visa. So if they weren't suspected of being up to anything what difference would no visa waiver have made?