Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Congress to rethink visa waiver program

US Congress to rethink visa waiver program

Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:43 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Congress to rethink visa waiver program

As anotherlimey (I think it was) mentioned might happen, in the "Wot I lurned on fox" thread, the US Dept of Homeland Security have seen the British-born terrorist bombers as a potential threat to the US.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8564983/

Quote:-

London bombs spur Congress to rethink visas
Under waiver program, jihadists from U.K., other nations can enter U.S.

WASHINGTON - Members of Congress with responsibility for homeland security were just beginning Wednesday to assess the implications of the news from Britain that the suicide bombers who killed 52 people in London last week were British citizens and thus would not have been subject to face-to-face visa interviews to enter the United States.

Since the United Kingdom is one of the 27 countries in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program, jihadists from Britain — as long as they were British citizens — could potentially enter the United States with less scrutiny than the U.S. government gives to visa applicants from al Qaida originating countries such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, or Pakistan.

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., the ranking Democrat on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said Wednesday, “I’ve been concerned about the Visa Waiver Program generally. I think this finding in London just deepens that concern and should lead our government to work very aggressively with the countries that enjoy the benefits of that program to end it — or to begin to curtail it and put some rules on it. It is a big opening in our security apparatus.�

<snip>

Rumsfeld comment on U.K. as terrorist base
Indicating the political sensitivity of the fact that Britain is now the home of suicide bombers, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said at a press briefing Tuesday that Islamic terrorists' goal “is to build and secure new bases for extremists and violent terrorism acts.�

When a reporter asked whether there was now a terrorism base in the United Kingdom, Rumsfeld quickly added, “I did not mean to leave the impression that the terrorists intended to try to make the U.K. a terrorist haven.�
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Congress to rethink visa waiver program

Originally Posted by dbark
As anotherlimey (I think it was) mentioned might happen, in the "Wot I lurned on fox" thread, the US Dept of Homeland Security have seen the British-born terrorist bombers as a potential threat to the US.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8564983/

Quote:-

London bombs spur Congress to rethink visas
Under waiver program, jihadists from U.K., other nations can enter U.S.

WASHINGTON - Members of Congress with responsibility for homeland security were just beginning Wednesday to assess the implications of the news from Britain that the suicide bombers who killed 52 people in London last week were British citizens and thus would not have been subject to face-to-face visa interviews to enter the United States.

Since the United Kingdom is one of the 27 countries in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program, jihadists from Britain — as long as they were British citizens — could potentially enter the United States with less scrutiny than the U.S. government gives to visa applicants from al Qaida originating countries such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, or Pakistan.

Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., the ranking Democrat on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said Wednesday, “I’ve been concerned about the Visa Waiver Program generally. I think this finding in London just deepens that concern and should lead our government to work very aggressively with the countries that enjoy the benefits of that program to end it — or to begin to curtail it and put some rules on it. It is a big opening in our security apparatus.�

<snip>

Rumsfeld comment on U.K. as terrorist base
Indicating the political sensitivity of the fact that Britain is now the home of suicide bombers, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said at a press briefing Tuesday that Islamic terrorists' goal “is to build and secure new bases for extremists and violent terrorism acts.�

When a reporter asked whether there was now a terrorism base in the United Kingdom, Rumsfeld quickly added, “I did not mean to leave the impression that the terrorists intended to try to make the U.K. a terrorist haven.�
Can't say I blame them although I think the seeds are here already.TB is thinking of making sedition a punishable and deportable offence and not before time.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:08 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by tony126
Can't say I blame them although I think the seeds are here already.TB is thinking of making sedition a punishable and deportable offence and not before time.

The Sedition Act of 1798

That if any person shall write, print, utter. Or publish, or shall cause or procure to be written, printed, uttered or published, or shall knowingly and willingly assist or aid in writing, printing, uttering or publishing any false, scandalous and malicious writing or writings against the government of the United States, or either house of the Congress of the United States, or the President of the United States, with intent to defame the said government, or either house of the said Congress, or the said President, or to bring them. or either of them, into contempt or disrepute; or to excite against them, or either or any of them, the hatred of the good people of the United States, or to excite any unlawful combinations therein, for opposing or resisting any law of the United States, or any act of the President of the United States, done in pursuance of any such law, or of the powers in him vested by the constitution of the United States, or to resist, oppose, or defeat any such law or act, or to aid, encourage or abet any hostile designs of any foreign nation against the United States, their people or government, then such person, being thereof convicted before any court of the United States having jurisdiction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars, and by imprisonment not exceeding two years.

So dont anyone write anything on here about Dubya and Co. or oppose the war in Iraq or you'll be removed.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:12 pm
ImHere

About the VWP. Im amazed it still exists but then I also wonder how many billions of $$$ of tourist money will be lost? Not too many Brits will bother going through the hoops of a B2 vias just for 2 weeks at Disneyland.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are just as many US born "jihadists" as UK. I think that when they realise the potential impact on the tourism industry and the effect it will have on the economy they will decide not to do it.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:09 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
About the VWP. Im amazed it still exists but then I also wonder how many billions of $$$ of tourist money will be lost? Not too many Brits will bother going through the hoops of a B2 vias just for 2 weeks at Disneyland.
Build a wall around Disney World and Orlando airport, and just confine all VWP participants to within its bounds. Not like they were going anywhere anyway.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

welykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant futurewelykuk has a brilliant future

With the denial of GC we are returning to UK but hubby is going to need to travel over frequently, perhaps monthly, on business. Having to get a visa every time will be a nightmare. I guess it could make his job unworkable
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:18 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

And with all the thousands of Brits buying rental homes in Orlando too....they could be hit hard......
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:18 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Build a wall around Disney World and Orlando airport, and just confine all VWP participants to within its bounds. Not like they were going anywhere anyway.
That would work. Sounds great to me. Keep all those pesky tourists from clogging up the roads down here.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:19 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by welykuk
With the denial of GC we are returning to UK but hubby is going to need to travel over frequently, perhaps monthly, on business. Having to get a visa every time will be a nightmare. I guess it could make his job unworkable
Aye. And theres the rub...tourists wont come, business trips would be seriously curtailed, all; hitting the US economy hard. The only other countries I can think of that need a visa for ALL entrants - including tourists and buisness visitors - are Communist dictatorships.

Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:26 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

That would work. Sounds great to me. Keep all those pesky tourists from clogging up the roads down here.
When I read it this morning......I wondered how it would go down in the villa rental forums.....if my topic is not deleted..we may get more of an idea of how people renting homes would feel about not having VW anymore.....
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:01 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Will UK immigration reciprocate and demand all US visitors to the UK get a suitable visa before travelling?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
I've always said Disney World should be a separate state, perhaps it should be a separate country.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:16 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I've always said Disney World should be a separate state, perhaps it should be a separate country.

The only accent I hear a lot of in Disney is Yorkshire....followed by every other Brit accent....maybe we should just rename it Little Britain.......
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:32 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by krizzy
When I read it this morning......I wondered how it would go down in the villa rental forums.....if my topic is not deleted..we may get more of an idea of how people renting homes would feel about not having VW anymore.....
I think they will be screwed. A lot of E2 businesses will go to the wall if this goes through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.