Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizenship and visiting the UK

US Citizenship and visiting the UK

Old Sep 6th 2011, 5:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship and visiting the UK

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'm assuming you've got a British passport, going by what the OP was saying, so in that case you are a British citizen. If you can't understand why it's simpler to use a British passport to enter the UK than stand in a line where you have to get checked more thoroughly, then I can't explain it to you. Yes, if you are accompanying people who aren't British citizens I suppose.
At the moment I can't be bothered with the hassle of renewing my UK passport. When the dicks have got their act together, I'll order a fresh one.

However when I still had it, the decision tree was like this:

On my own I'd take the shortest line. This is not always the UK/EU one!

With her indoors who does not hold the coveted UK passport, I always take the foreign line with her. Then if there's an issue (there never has been), we can sort it out together rather than have one of us twiddling our thumbs at the baggage line wondering where the hell the other one has got to.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:12 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I disagree...again being born in the UK doesn't make you a UK citizen...nor does your accent. What makes you think you will have to explain why you haven't renounced it? My husband (British) always enters the UK using his US PP and has never had a problem. I think you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here.
I agree with you Jerseygirl. Who is a UK citizen and who is not a UK citizen if born in the UK depends on when someone was born and the parents status in the UK at the time of someone's birth. If you were born in the UK before Jan 1, 1983. the only people why were not UK citizens were people born to diplomats with full diplomatic immunity or people born to enemy aliens. If someone was born in the UK on or after Jan 1, 1983 (like I was) being born in the UK is not enough to be a UK citizen at birth. To be a UK citizen at birth one of your parents have to be either a UK citizen or settled in the UK. Usually meaning they have ILR at the time of your birth. If the father was the UK citizen and the child was born before July 1, 2006 then the father had to be married to the mother in order for the the child be a citizen at birth. I know this because I had to go look to see if I was a UK citizen so I could see if I can get a UK passport so I could move there in a few years. The only reason I can is because I born in the UK to a mother who was a British citizen at the time of my birth.
If something I said about this is wrong someone I'm sure will be along to correct me.
Just to bring this thread back on topic. OP you are most likely not a British Subject if you are born in the UK and if you have a UK passport like other people have said I would use your British passport so you do not have to fill out a landing card or have to answer a lot of questions that UK citizens usually do not have to answer at passport control.

Last edited by KetteringEnglandRocks2005; Sep 6th 2011 at 6:15 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:34 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

As a US citizen you MUST leave and enter the US on your US passport. As a UK citizen you can use either US or UK to enter the UK. Using the UK to enter Britain often makes things a bit easier ie no cards to fill out, faster lines and no questions.

The only issue I've ever had doing this is when leaving the UK for the US on my US passport as it didn't have a UK entry stamp in it. I was asked why and simply showed my UK passport and stated that I'd entered the UK on it.

Also becoming a US citizen does not change your UK citizenship status.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

uscit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
As a US citizen you MUST leave and enter the US on your US passport. As a UK citizen you can use either US or UK to enter the UK. Using the UK to enter Britain often makes things a bit easier ie no cards to fill out, faster lines and no questions.

The only issue I've ever had doing this is when leaving the UK for the US on my US passport as it didn't have a UK entry stamp in it. I was asked why and simply showed my UK passport and stated that I'd entered the UK on it.

Also becoming a US citizen does not change your UK citizenship status.
Thanks nun!.. I was told by someone on another board that the UK had a requirement that I must enter and leave the UK on a UK passport??! I guess from your response that is not the case!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 12:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's a fair bet you are though and the inspector will twig to it. Unless you've formally renounced it or had it taken off you under the Immigration Act 2006 then you are a British citizen in this context. And really do you want to be explaining to UKBA that you haven't formally renounced it? What's the point? Just use your British passport when you enter the UK.
What does it matter? It does not.

Depending on the flight, the none UK line can be quicker anyway. And it can be easier if family don't have UK citizenship....also maintaining a UK passport isn't cheap, when not needed to enter the country, it's not really an issue.

Plus the officials wouldn't give a shit as long as you used a passport that was valid for the purpose of the trip.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:10 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What does it matter? It does not.

Depending on the flight, the none UK line can be quicker anyway. And it can be easier if family don't have UK citizenship....also maintaining a UK passport isn't cheap, when not needed to enter the country, it's not really an issue.

Plus the officials wouldn't give a shit as long as you used a passport that was valid for the purpose of the trip.
This is all true.......except that in my experience the UK and EU nationals line moves far faster than the "others" line. My attitude is that I'll always have both US and UK passports as I need the US one to enter the US and the UK makes it easy to travel in the EU. It costs a few hundred dollars for the UK 10 year now which is well worth in IMHO.

Bottomline is the UK doesn't give a toss which passport you use as long as it is valid. The US, as usual, is very tight ar$ed about it and makes you use their passport as they don't recognize you as anything other than America.