Reload this Page >

US Citizenship and visiting the UK

US Citizenship and visiting the UK

Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

uscit99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizenship and visiting the UK

Hi all,.

I wanted to know if someone could just clarify a couple of points for me.. I am originally from the UK (born there), and moved to the US a few years ago.. I am now a US Citizen..

1. From what I understand taking the oath at the US Citizenship ceremony does not revoke your UK Citizenship, and the only real way to lose your British Citizenship is to apply to the UK.

2. I read that getting Citizenship in another country when you are a British subject does revoke your Citizenship? but I am unable to find a clear explanation on the difference between a British Subject and a British Citizen, as it appears this does not apply to being a British Citizen

3. When entering the UK, the customs form asks for nationality? Do you put US & UK? or just US if you are using a US passport? Someone told me UK Citizens "are required" to put UK? but is this true if you are traveling on a US password? (which is required for leaving and entering the US).

I would love to hear from Dean (British Consul) on this matters.. and would like to thank all in advance!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: US Citizenship and visiting the UK

Why not enter the UK on a UK passport? Assuming that you still have one?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

figured that might confuse things.. and I figured if just going for a visit (2 weeks) why not just keep it simple.. plus my wife and kid only have US passports
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

You can use either passport to enter the UK if you are visiting. If you use your US PP put US citizen...UK PP.put UK citizen. The choice is yours.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Jersey Girl! Do you know if I am correct on the other two points I mentioned??

Thanks again!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

no sure about the difference between British Subject and Citizen point, but you are correct in that you have to fill in paperwork and the likes to renounce your british citizenship, you cannot lose it by becoming a citizen of another country , you just become a dual citizen, in your case it would be US/UK citizen
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uscit99
Thank you Jersey Girl! Do you know if I am correct on the other two points I mentioned??

Thanks again!
You are still a British Citizen. I don't think 'British Subject' applies anymore.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uscit99
Hi all,.

I wanted to know if someone could just clarify a couple of points for me.. I am originally from the UK (born there), and moved to the US a few years ago.. I am now a US Citizen..

2. I read that getting Citizenship in another country when you are a British subject does revoke your Citizenship? but I am unable to find a clear explanation on the difference between a British Subject and a British Citizen, as it appears this does not apply to being a British Citizen
I believe that "British Subject" is a legacy status that applies to some people born in former British terrriitories before they got independence that were able to keep that status after their country became independent. Your UK passport should state what your status is. If it says British Citizen that is what you are and you will need to specifically renounce it - it won't be cancelled just by you acquiring US citizenship.

3. When entering the UK, the customs form asks for nationality? Do you put US & UK? or just US if you are using a US passport? Someone told me UK Citizens "are required" to put UK? but is this true if you are traveling on a US password? (which is required for leaving and entering the US).
I'd put whatever passport you're going to present to immigration in the UK, or both.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Roy! and everyone else that commented
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how it works in the UK, but it's a criminal offence in the US to misrepresent your citizenship when you enter the US, you have to tell them you're an American if you are one.

I would use your UK passport when entering the UK if I were you, your place of birth stated in your passport and your accent will indicate to the inspector that you are British anyway. I know Canadians born in Britain who used their Canadian passports to enter Britain, but why stand in line and fill in a landing card for no purpose?

You are a British citizen - even people who were resident on BOTs (except Hong Kong) got their full citizenship restored after Hong Kong was handed over to the Chinese.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Steve_
Not sure how it works in the UK, but it's a criminal offence in the US to misrepresent your citizenship when you enter the US, you have to tell them you're an American if you are one.

I would use your UK passport when entering the UK if I were you, your place of birth stated in your passport and your accent will indicate to the inspector that you are British anyway. I know Canadians born in Britain who used their Canadian passports to enter Britain, but why stand in line and fill in a landing card for no purpose?

You are a British citizen - even people who were resident on BOTs (except Hong Kong) got their full citizenship restored after Hong Kong was handed over to the Chinese.
Birth in the UK doesn't necessarily make you a British citizen...nor does the accent.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:38 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a fair bet you are though and the inspector will twig to it. Unless you've formally renounced it or had it taken off you under the Immigration Act 2006 then you are a British citizen in this context. And really do you want to be explaining to UKBA that you haven't formally renounced it? What's the point? Just use your British passport when you enter the UK.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It's a fair bet you are though and the inspector will twig to it. Unless you've formally renounced it or had it taken off you under the Immigration Act 2006 then you are a British citizen in this context. And really do you want to be explaining to UKBA that you haven't formally renounced it? What's the point? Just use your British passport when you enter the UK.
I disagree.

I have never had any issues entering the UK on a US passport with a UK birth place and UK citizenship but claiming US citizenship.

Sometimes you get shorter lines for foreign passports, especially at smaller, regional airports.

If you're entering with family members who do not hold both passports, it's easier to go through the foreigner line all together.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I disagree...again being born in the UK doesn't make you a UK citizen...nor does your accent. What makes you think you will have to explain why you haven't renounced it? My husband (British) always enters the UK using his US PP and has never had a problem. I think you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 3:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I'm assuming you've got a British passport, going by what the OP was saying, so in that case you are a British citizen. If you can't understand why it's simpler to use a British passport to enter the UK than stand in a line where you have to get checked more thoroughly, then I can't explain it to you. Yes, if you are accompanying people who aren't British citizens I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.