Reload this Page >

US Citizenship and UK Forces Pension

US Citizenship and UK Forces Pension

Old Feb 27th 2014, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

jhonscotland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizenship and UK Forces Pension

HI All

I am new to this forum and I apologize if this has been asked many times before. I have tried to find a suitable thread, but to no avail.

I am 47 and have lived in the USA for 5 years. I receive a UK Forces pension in to my UK bank account, and pay UK tax on it. I am fully employed in the USA and disclose my UK pension on my USA tax return.

I am thinking of becoming a US Citizen. Does anyone know if this will affect tax contributions on my UK Forces pension?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 4:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship and UK Forces Pension

Originally Posted by jhonscotland
HI All

I am new to this forum and I apologize if this has been asked many times before. I have tried to find a suitable thread, but to no avail.

I am 47 and have lived in the USA for 5 years. I receive a UK Forces pension in to my UK bank account, and pay UK tax on it. I am fully employed in the USA and disclose my UK pension on my USA tax return.

I am thinking of becoming a US Citizen. Does anyone know if this will affect tax contributions on my UK Forces pension?

Thanks in advance.
See Article 19.2(b) of the US UK Tax Treaty

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...s/uktreaty.pdf

Once you become a US citizen your UK Forces pension becomes only taxable in the US. To exclude the pension from UK tax you can file a USIndividual-2002

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/us_individual_2002.pdf

The notes on part C2 specifically address the situation of a US citizen resident in the US and receiving a UK Government pension.

Government service
If you receive a pension paid by the UK for service to the UK Government or a local authority, there are special provisions in the UK/USA Double Taxation Convention. Your pension from that employment will be exempt from UK tax only if you are a United States national as well as being resident there.

Last edited by nun; Feb 27th 2014 at 4:33 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Great info.

This is the dilema I am in because of the UK/USA treaty agreement, I inform the USA about my UK pension and how much I get, but do not pay tax on it. I pay UK tax, but only a small amount because of the personal tax allowance being 9,440 pounds.

Am I right in saying that because I have a good income in the USA, if I became a US Citizen, then I would not pay UK tax, but pay more tax on my UK Forces pension? If this is the case, it doesnt seem worth becoming a citizen/.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that nicely sums up the situation. You'd enter your UK Forces pension on line 16 of the 1040 and be taxed on it at your marginal tax rate. No more UK personal allowance unless you have other UK source income.

Taxation isn't usually a good reason to decide upon taking US citizenship. I'd put family, employment, voting and ease of movement above tax......as long as you understand the tax and financial implication of taking US citizenship.....and it appears that you do.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Great point, just struggling with the decision after serving for 25 years.

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 5:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help.

I was in a similar position. Had to decide if the advantages of US citizenship to me outweighed have to pay tax on effectively on an extra £9440 as the allowance is now.

To balance that the portion I paid tax on in the UK, I pay a lower percentage of tax in the US. You need to do the maths and see how it all works out.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 6:04 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your help.
What would US citizenship gain you? apart from a vote. Why are you thinking about US citizenship now? has anything changed? If you have US citizens in your family it would be good to have if you ever decided to move back to the UK. It would also be helpful in getting a US security clearance.

Last edited by nun; Feb 27th 2014 at 6:07 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

That's useful info, thanks, as I became a US Citizen last year and get an RAF Pension. Can you get that pension paid over here in the US as well?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 3:18 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paul32x
That's useful info, thanks, as I became a US Citizen last year and get an RAF Pension. Can you get that pension paid over here in the US as well?
You can get UK SS paid into a US account so I maybe the same is true for an RAF pension......actually a quick google pulled up this MOD webpage with documents to direct payment of pensions to various countries

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...yment-mandates
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You can get UK SS paid into a US account so I maybe the same is true for an RAF pension......actually a quick google pulled up this MOD webpage with documents to direct payment of pensions to various countries

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...yment-mandates
Thanks very much.