Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizenship: surrender UK Passport?

US Citizenship: surrender UK Passport?

Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:09 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship: surrender UK Passport?

Originally Posted by loobylou1967
It was the ceremony and they asked you to hold up your passports and submit them - this was about 5 years ago and in Miami - maybe it was different where you did yours - why would I make that up?? Bollocks to you too
If you read my post I said "I am not saying you made it up" read it again.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:20 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Please stop the swearing at each other. I'm not naming names, you know who you are.

Also lets remember we don't all walk in each others shoes so don't know what everyone else has experienced. As we all know not every one does things by the book. Some seem to make up rules as they go along

Anyway to add my experience; Neither I, nor my family, were at anytime asked to relinquish our British passports.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It was the ceremony and they asked you to hold up your passports and submit them - this was about 5 years ago and in Miami ...
There is no requirement - absolutely none at all - that you relinquish your foreign passport when you become a US citizen. If people did it willingly when they were asked... well then, they're the idiots! A passport is the property of the issuing country... not the person it's issued to.

Ian
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Ok, considering we have a dozen or so recent threads asking this and add on to that a friendly Canadian who is going through citizenship right now who insisted I would have to surrender my passport.

Where does this idea that you have to surrender your passport come from?

More likely than not, it comes from the minds of those that believe that you relinquish your other citizenship when you take US Citizen. Thus the act of surrendering your other passport.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

loobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
There is no requirement - absolutely none at all - that you relinquish your foreign passport when you become a US citizen. If people did it willingly when they were asked... well then, they're the idiots! A passport is the property of the issuing country... not the person it's issued to.

Ian
Exactly what I said - they asked you to give it up but it was not a requirement - however some people did relinquish them - probably because they did not know any better.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It was the ceremony and they asked you to hold up your passports and submit them - this was about 5 years ago and in Miami - maybe it was different where you did yours - why would I make that up?? Bollocks to you too

Well they certainly do not do such a thing in New York. I sat through a naturalization ceremony when my husband naturalized and he didn't even have to show his passport from Canada.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

loobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really niceloobylou1967 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Well they certainly do not do such a thing in New York. I sat through a naturalization ceremony when my husband naturalized and he didn't even have to show his passport from Canada.

Oh my I did'nt realise this was going to cause such controversy - just commenting on a thread from someone who asked a question. Like I said this was my experience - lucky for you people who had a different one. Miami immigration is quite an experience from start to finish!!!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I was thinking, reading these posts, back to my citizenship process and I cannot recall at anytime even being asked a question about my British passport let alone required to show it. Most certainly never was asked to take it to the oath ceremony.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my I did'nt realise this was going to cause such controversy - just commenting on a thread from someone who asked a question. Like I said this was my experience - lucky for you people who had a different one. Miami immigration is quite an experience from start to finish!!!
It wouldn't have been controversial if you had included at Miami 5 years ago, instead of making a blanket statement about a country wide requirement.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
It wouldn't have been controversial if you had included at Miami 5 years ago, instead of making a blanket statement about a country wide requirement.

Did'nt realise it would make such a difference - oh well at least it stirred everyone up a bit - nothing else to do on a Friday - especially after the Anthony trial - oops maybe I should'nt mention that either!!!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:00 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Did'nt realise it would make such a difference - oh well at least it stirred everyone up a bit - nothing else to do on a Friday - especially after the Anthony trial - oops maybe I should'nt mention that either!!!
There's a thread on that one as well LOL we don't like to miss any chance of a debate
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
There's a thread on that one as well LOL we don't like to miss any chance of a debate
I'm sure, but i think I've caused enough debate today......OR maybe not - I have a 2 yr old you know.....
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:52 pm

I'm sure, but i think I've caused enough debate today......OR maybe not - I have a 2 yr old you know.....
You can never cause enough the more the merrier you have balls you can take it
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You can never cause enough the more the merrier you have balls you can take it
Ah yes - well after dealing with the passport service you don't have alot of choice!
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I was thinking, reading these posts, back to my citizenship process and I cannot recall at anytime even being asked a question about my British passport let alone required to show it. Most certainly never was asked to take it to the oath ceremony.
For the record, same experience in CT -- my UK passport was never mentioned.