British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Citizenship: surrender UK Passport? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-citizenship-surrender-uk-passport-723292/)

Brigette Jul 2nd 2011 6:43 am

US Citizenship: surrender UK Passport?

Hi everyone,

quick question. For those who have recently obtained their US citizenship, were you required to turn in your British passport or hand it in as an ID? I was under the impression that all that was needed was the green card but now I'm not sure.

Thanks

anuny Jul 2nd 2011 10:16 am

Re: US Citizenship: surrender UK Passport?

NO. US does not ask you to surrender your UK/SL/Cayman/Jamaican/Australian whatever passport. (I'd be surprised and wrong, as I have been in the past :) )

Jerseygirl Jul 2nd 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 9470233)
Hi everyone,

quick question. For those who have recently obtained their US citizenship, were you required to turn in your British passport or hand it in as an ID? I was under the impression that all that was needed was the green card but now I'm not sure.

Thanks

You certainly do not have to surrender your UK PP.

You certainly do surrender your GC. :)

Manc Jul 2nd 2011 11:16 am

your British passport

it is property of HM Government.

it is not yours.

sir_eccles Jul 2nd 2011 4:41 pm

Ok, considering we have a dozen or so recent threads asking this and add on to that a friendly Canadian who is going through citizenship right now who insisted I would have to surrender my passport.

Where does this idea that you have to surrender your passport come from?

Poppy girl Jul 2nd 2011 4:47 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks

You do surrender your GC at the Naturalization interview but as others have said you keep you British Passport.

lansbury Jul 2nd 2011 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9470953)
You do surrender your GC at the Naturalization interview but as others have said you keep you British Passport.

You surrender the GC at the oath ceremony, not the interview. :)

Poppy girl Jul 2nd 2011 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9470997)

Nope mine was taken at the interview which I did think was odd....considering you are still a GC holder until sworn it!

Edit apologises you are correct thinking back she did take it but gave it back to me at the end of the interview I was wrong!

Jerseygirl Jul 2nd 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9470997)

We have had to give our GCs to the interviewing officer. Our Oath Ceremony was a couple of hours later. ;)

lansbury Jul 2nd 2011 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9471159)
We have had to give our GCs to the interviewing offices. Our Oath Ceremony was a couple of hours later. ;)

Well of course there will be people who do things differently :rofl:

jaytee Jul 2nd 2011 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks

No.

Obtained US citizenship at the USCIS district office in Atlanta in May of '03.

tonrob Jul 2nd 2011 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by jaytee (Post 9471326)
No.

Obtained US citizenship at the USCIS district office in Atlanta in May of '03.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bob Jul 2nd 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9470944)

Stupidity? Or believing the Oath, US law, would have any affect on any other country?

Renouncing UK citizenship comes at a cost, a bit of ballache and is something very few people will do, possibly for security clearance reasons only.

Brigette Jul 3rd 2011 9:07 pm

Thanks everyone for answering the question. I thought as much, but wanted to make sure before I responded to someone who was asking the same questions. :thumbup:

Giantaxe Jul 3rd 2011 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9470944)
Ok, considering we have a dozen or so recent threads asking this and add on to that a friendly Canadian who is going through citizenship right now who insisted I would have to surrender my passport.

Apparently this is what used to happen decades ago. I used to work with someone who got his US citizenship in the '60s. His British passport was taken from him and sent to the British Embassy, which then called him and asked him whether he's like it back!