Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizenship: pros and cons?

US Citizenship: pros and cons?

Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship: pros and cons?

Originally Posted by mandela
..... I'll have went from being from a country who doesn't even have a team at the Olympics ....
I am intrigued. When there are 206 "nations" at the Olympics, several of which aren't even "countries", and a number of which (13, I think) aren't even members of the United Nations which "country" are you from?
Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

mandela is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am intrigued. When there are 206 "nations" at the Olympics, several of which aren't even "countries", and a number of which (13, I think) aren't even members of the United Nations which "country" are you from?
Scotland.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 2:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland.
Yup, I was right with "country".
Old Aug 10th 2016, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

MidAtlantic is correct. Taking US citizenship has virtually no impact on your rights as a British citizen, with the only exception I know of being that if you get "into trouble" (of any sort) while in the US, you will not get assistance from the British consulate.

Other countries, I know, will strip you of your citizenship if you taken take another nationality. This approach seems to be common, if not the norm, in most Asian countries.
This may change at any time. For instance Denmark and Norway do not recognize dual citizenship. The people voting for Brexit wanted to be more like Norway. If you are interested these are list of other countries that recognize dual citizenship.

List of countries that allow or disallow Dual Citizenship | DLG Immigration
Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
This may change at any time. For instance Denmark and Norway do not recognize dual citizenship. .....
The trend is definitely toward more countries allowing dual citizenship. For example Germany used to be intollerant of dual citizenship, but now it is apparently much easier, and Spain, while officially requiring anyone naturalizing as a Spanish citizen (unless they were born in Portugal, or from some Latin American countries), to "renounce" their other citizenship(s), in practice that isn't happening, as reported by a BE member recently. .... He only had to "renounce" his British citizenship to the Spanish, which needless to say isn't recognized by the British government.

The problem is that in many cases someone is born a dual national - for example it doesn't matter if the US outlawed dual nationality, little Miss P was born a British citizen and there is nothing the US government can do about that.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 10th 2016 at 3:09 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland.
Meh boring. I was hoping you were from Greenland.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Meh boring. I was hoping you were from Greenland.
I was rooting for Bouvet Island.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The trend is definitely toward more countries allowing dual citizenship. For example Germany used to be intollerant of dual citizenship, but now it is apparently much easier,
Germany has got to be one of the more complex systems.For example:

A child born to an American parent and a German parent acquires both American and German citizenship at birth, regardless of place of birth. Neither country requires a person born under these circumstances to choose between American and German citizenship. They may keep both for life.

A child born in Germany to two American parents may also become a dual national at birth. But under German law, such a person has to choose between American and German citizenship before turning 23.

German law requires an American who becomes a German citizen through the Einbürgerung process (see “Basic Primer on German Citizenship Law”) to formally renounce his/her American citizenship.

https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...l-nationality/

My German friends here had to give up German citizenship to become USCs. But that was a long time ago.

Last edited by mrken30; Aug 10th 2016 at 4:11 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Did anyone point out this whole subject is done to death in the Wiki?

Anyway, it boils down to, the only real downside is that you have to file a US tax return forever, which is only an issue if you move abroad. And even then, if you moved abroad as an LPR the IRS can come after you (like they did with my uncle) so if you move abroad it's more likely a penalty for not filing a return, whereas as an LPR you're still considered resident in the US for tax purposes.

The other snag is if you've done something that makes you removable and you casually point that out on your N-400 (which I seem to recall people posting about on here), so be very careful how you fill it out.

Other than that it's pretty much a no-brainer.
There is another factor perhaps unquantifiable, is over time will US impose more rules and requirements on citizens who are overseas ?
Old Aug 10th 2016, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

My German friends here had to give up German citizenship to become USCs. But that was a long time ago.

With me being German and eligible to apply for the US citizenship in around 1 1/2 years, I investigated a bit.

Germany does recognize dual citizenship (I'm not familiar with birth rights,"just" if you're trying to naturalize in a different country).You have to fill out a form called “Beibehaltungsantrag”, which basically means asking for permission to keep the German citizenship. You do need good reasons for it though. Ties to Germany is the one side (family, friends, frequent visits, bank accounts, etc.), but even more important you need to give valid reasons why you want the other citizenship and these have to be current reasons, not like "I want to take care of my parents in 5-10 and might spend time outside of the US longer than allowed to keep my green card".
The best argument for this part(based on the granted permissions I read about up until this point) is the job market. Finding job descriptions that fit to your qualifications that require US citizenship for example. But even then, it seems to be a lot depending on the government employee who checks your application. I heard that the consulate ones are not as strict as the ones working within Germany.

Most important: You cannot start your naturalization process before you have the permission, otherwise you won’t be granted the permission. Same goes for serving in your “second” country's military. If you did/do that, your permission will be denied.

I have to say, this is the only reason I would hesitate to take on the US citizenship, not getting permission to keep my German one.

Last edited by glowie; Aug 10th 2016 at 5:08 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by glowie
With me being German and eligible to apply for the US citizenship in around 1 1/2 years, I investigated a bit.

Germany does recognize dual citizenship (I'm not familiar with birth rights,"just" if you're trying to naturalize in a different country).You have to fill out a form called “Beibehaltungsantrag”, which basically means asking for permission to keep the German citizenship. You do need good reasons for it though. Ties to Germany is the one side (family, friends, frequent visits, bank accounts, etc.), but even more important you need to give valid reasons why you want the other citizenship and these have to be current reasons, not like "I want to take care of my parents in 5-10 and might spend time outside of the US longer than allowed to keep my green card".
The best argument for this part(based on the granted permissions I read about up until this point) is the job market. Finding job descriptions that fit to your qualifications that require US citizenship for example. But even then, it seems to be a lot depending on the government employee who checks your application. I heard that the consulate ones are not as strict as the ones working within Germany.

Most important: You cannot start your naturalization process before you have the permission, otherwise you won’t be granted the permission. Same goes for serving in your “second” country's military. If you did/do that, your permission will be denied.

I have to say, this is the only reason I would hesitate to take on the US citizenship, not getting permission to keep my German one.
I wonder if applying for an N-400 would affect your eligibility.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if applying for an N-400 would affect your eligibility.
The info that I have is that you're not allowed to do anything in the naturalization direction before being granted the permission to keep the German citizenship. Otherwise it will get denied.
(Though it is questionable how the German government would know that I already applied, since the form doesn't ask for this information.)
Old Aug 10th 2016, 6:10 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine, a US citizen, who has lived in UK for 30+ years has recently retired and renounced his US citizenship because of the tax implications. He wanted to sell his house and buy smaller one and use the profits to increase his pension. He was told he would lose a bunch of money from the profit on the house to US taxes. I would have to look seriously at the tax implications of being a US citizen before I took the plunge, and I certainly wouldn't want to give up my British citizenship, but that is a personal thing for me
Old Aug 10th 2016, 6:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
I certainly wouldn't want to give up my British citizenship, but that is a personal thing for me

You don't have to. That isn't part of the equation.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by becks_r
A friend of mine, a US citizen, who has lived in UK for 30+ years has recently retired and renounced his US citizenship because of the tax implications. He wanted to sell his house and buy smaller one and use the profits to increase his pension. He was told he would lose a bunch of money from the profit on the house to US taxes. I would have to look seriously at the tax implications of being a US citizen before I took the plunge .....
In most cases you cannot just give up US citizenship to avoid a tax bill. Someone trying to renounce their US citizenship risks being assessed an "exit tax".
.... I certainly wouldn't want to give up my British citizenship, but that is a personal thing for me.
Nobody suggested you needed to or should.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 10th 2016 at 6:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.