Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizenship: pros and cons?

US Citizenship: pros and cons?

Old Aug 9th 2016, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship: pros and cons?

Originally Posted by Rete
Hubby didn't get one either. You both have been slighted by the Feds.
I don't remember getting one either. I got my copy of the US Constitution from the ACLU. They'll send you a copy if you ask.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked in the aerospace and defense industries, US Citizenship was a requirement.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Having worked in the aerospace and defense industries, US Citizenship was a requirement.
Interesting because one can serve in the US military and not be a citizen.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
That doesn't seem at all remarkable or inconsistent to me - the user of a "weapon system" likely has little or no useful information about the design and manufacturer of the weapon, whereas someone working for the designer-manufacturer may have a wealth of information regarding copying the design or using the technology, that could be invaluable to an enemy.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 10th 2016 at 1:00 am.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That doesn't seem at all remarkable or inconsistent to me - the user of a "weapon system" likly has little or no useful information about the design and manufacturer of the weapon, whereas someone working for the designer-manufacturer may have a wealth of information regarding copying the design or using the technology, that could be invaluable to an enemy.
That certainly sounds logical.

I wonder what percentage of US military recruits not citizens ?
Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That certainly sounds logical.

I wonder what percentage of US military recruits not citizens ?
Reading between the lines of this 2008 article, about 20,000* non-US citizens served in the various branches of the US military, comprising about 1.5% of the total.

* I base that figure on a little less than one third of the reported 65,000 foreign-born people in the US armed forces.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 2:12 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone point out this whole subject is done to death in the Wiki?

Anyway, it boils down to, the only real downside is that you have to file a US tax return forever, which is only an issue if you move abroad. And even then, if you moved abroad as an LPR the IRS can come after you (like they did with my uncle) so if you move abroad it's more likely a penalty for not filing a return, whereas as an LPR you're still considered resident in the US for tax purposes.

The other snag is if you've done something that makes you removable and you casually point that out on your N-400 (which I seem to recall people posting about on here), so be very careful how you fill it out.

Other than that it's pretty much a no-brainer.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 2:14 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there someone on here who served as an LPR in the Army and couldn't get security clearance to do something until he naturalized? Dimly recall that.

The main reason to do it is that's a provision in the INA that basically says you cannot be removed if you were honourably discharged from the US armed forces and served during a time of conflict (which it currently is).
Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not only can one serve, but one can be drafted, as a permanent resident, green card holder.
I had already served National Service, but apparently for whatever reason I was excused. I was assured at the US Embassy in London that I would not be drafted, in such an event I would have been on the next plane back to the UK.

Last edited by johnwoo; Aug 10th 2016 at 3:11 am.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
That's interesting, because I was working for a manufacturer of military components and citizenship was not a requirement. Maybe it depends how far down the chain you are. We did have some Chinese working for us but access to certain information was restricted for those employees.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

mandela is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure someone would have mentioned it if it was the case, but i thought you'd lose your UK rights if you became a US citizen. Primarily, your pension. Is this not the case?
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandela
I'm sure someone would have mentioned it if it was the case, but i thought you'd lose your UK rights if you became a US citizen. Primarily, your pension. Is this not the case?
No that is absolutely not the case.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

More importantly, I can apply to become a US national in 2019 so by the next Olympics I'll have went from being from a country who doesn't even have a team at the Olympics to being from the most successful nation at the games.

I can't wait for all my success :-)
Old Aug 10th 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by mandela
Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
No that is absolutely not the case.
MidAtlantic is correct. Taking US citizenship has virtually no impact on your rights as a British citizen, with the only exception I know of being that if you get "into trouble" (of any sort) while in the US, you will not get assistance from the British consulate.

Other countries, I know, will strip you of your citizenship if you taken take another nationality. This approach seems to be common, if not the norm, in most Asian countries.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 10th 2016 at 1:13 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers, guys.

Joining this forum has been so worthwhile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.