Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizenship: pros and cons?

US Citizenship: pros and cons?

Old Jul 26th 2016, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship: pros and cons?

I've seen a number of people balk at the cost involved in getting citizenship. It isn't non-zero but it is one of the cheaper parts of the process. It is never going to get cheaper, it is only likely to go up.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Normally I scoff when people even debate dual nationality as 99% of the time there are zero consequences to it. But with the US there are. Namely military service (do you want to be drafted into the US military if they get into war?) and tax. Banks have to report the accounts of US nationals living abroad via FBAR and get penalties if they don't. As a result some foreign banks choose not to serve US citizens. So its a two edged sword, if you want to leave the US you can either do so as a citizen with the right to return but the obligation to report foreign accounts and pay tax, or leave as a Brit with no obligations to the US but also no right to return. Its tricky.

If it were me, the one nationality I would choose not to take up is that of the US. But many happily take US nationality with the benefits it gives and that isnt a bad decision either.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Normally I scoff when people even debate dual nationality as 99% of the time there are zero consequences to it. But with the US there are. Namely military service (do you want to be drafted into the US military if they get into war?)
By the time most people start to consider naturalizing, they are way past the point where the draft has to be a consideration.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Normally I scoff when people even debate dual nationality as 99% of the time there are zero consequences to it. But with the US there are. Namely military service (do you want to be drafted into the US military if they get into war?)
To clarify, Greencard holders must register for selective service. In fact failure to register when required may count against your good moral standing at the time of application for citizenship.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
By the time most people start to consider naturalizing, they are way past the point where the draft has to be a consideration.
Sadly very true.

As a physicist (and, I'd like to think, a pretty good one) in the event of World War 3 the US would arguably be better off locking me in a secret bunker working on horrible new technologies than using me as cannon fodder.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

This is true, however you never know what "emergency" acts they may bring in-in Canada they always said "there will be no conscription" but then brought in conscription anyways in the case of WW I and II. Although this could still be a moot point as they could decide to recruit foreigners too.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
To clarify, Greencard holders must register for selective service. In fact failure to register when required may count against your good moral standing at the time of application for citizenship.
Ah. This I didn't know. Thats rather odd, fighting for a country you don't even have citizenship of.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah. This I didn't know. Thats rather odd, fighting for a country you don't even have citizenship of.
If it is your permanent residence I don't see the problem with defending your home.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would go further and suggest that for a large number of people by the time they consider emigrating to the US they are already over 26. Degree, post grad, a few years of employment, ...
Old Jul 26th 2016, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

This is true, however you never know what "emergency" acts they may bring in-in Canada they always said "there will be no conscription" but then brought in conscription anyways in the case of WW I and II. Although this could still be a moot point as they could decide to recruit foreigners too.

Non citizens can join the US military, though most will become citizens while in the military.

The other issue is the US seems to be quite prone to imposing it's worldwide reach - if current trends continue who knows what steps it will take in regards to currency controls, residency, privacy.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

My US tax attorney mentioned some issues with tax later in life if I became a US citizen (with regard to Australia), but I hear "blah blah" when he talks taxes so I can't remember what he said exactly. He said when I was getting near eligibility we could discuss the ramifications in more detail.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

I became a USC so I could come and go as I pleased, and so that I wouldn't have to deal with USCIS ever again.

The 'military service' thing.....One of the questions I was asked at the citizenship interview (standard stuff) was would I be willing to take up arms to defend the US (not sure of the exact words!)
My reply was "If they want a 60-year-old- woman to do so....I would"

I'm glad to be a USC....if Trump becomes POTUS I can go live on a desert island for a few years, and come back when it's all over!
Old Jul 28th 2016, 12:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... That's rather odd, fighting for a country you don't even have citizenship of. ....
Tell that to the Nepalese.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I would go further and suggest that for a large number of people by the time they consider emigrating to the US they are already over 26. Degree, post grad, a few years of employment, ...
What a lot of people don't seem to think too much about is the situation that they put their young or future children into, with respect to having to register with the Selective Service, and many years later it seems to cause some parents, and presumably some of their sons, and soon daughters too, a certain amount of angst.

That said, I can't imagine any circumstance where the US would send conscripts into battle again. War is increasingly mechanized and automated, with US "soldiers" often fighting from behind a computer screen hundreds if not thousands of miles away. IMO the chances of the Selective Service being asked to call anyone into the military services is vanishingly small.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 28th 2016 at 3:51 am.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue

I'm glad to be a USC....if Trump becomes POTUS I can go live on a desert island for a few years, and come back when it's all over!
If there is anything left to come back to.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Rete
If there is anything left to come back to. ....
Do you need help packing too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.