Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizenship

US Citizenship

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

jackpetj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizenship

I'm hoping someone can give me some feedback regarding US citizenship.

We lived in the US as a family for 8 years and have held green cards since Feb 01, 2001. Unfortunately we had to return to the UK to sort out elderly parent residential care etc. My company very kindly let me go back to UK on assignment.

I have been travelling between UK and US every 2-3 months for business trips etc. and have never had a problem re-entering the US. It's coming up to the 5 year point on my green card and wish to pursue US citizenship.
Having seen the UK after 10 years away its not the place I remember. It's a strange feeling, but whenever I arrive in the US now it feels like home (never thought I would say that but it's true).

Does anyone know if I would have a problem applying for citizenship?
As I say, its' coming up for my 5 yr anniversary. For the first 4 of those 5 yrs I lived continually in the US, and it's only in the last year that I have spent several months in the UK, but I have been back and forth every few months.
(bottom line is with business assignments I've spent probably 48 out of the last 60 months in the US). Do I have to be physically in the US when I apply?

I've also applied for a re-entry permit as a precaution (N-470 to preserve residency). By the way although the N-470 says you can pay your $150 by personal check I had it returned with a letter saying I must pay by money order! If anyone else has is thinking of applying for an N-470 it may help to know this.

Rgds
PJ
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizenship

Originally Posted by jackpetj

We lived in the US as a family for 8 years and have held green cards since Feb 01, 2001. Unfortunately we had to return to the UK to sort out elderly parent residential care etc. My company very kindly let me go back to UK on assignment.

I have been travelling between UK and US every 2-3 months for business trips etc. and have never had a problem re-entering the US. It's coming up to the 5 year point on my green card and wish to pursue US citizenship.
Having seen the UK after 10 years away its not the place I remember. It's a strange feeling, but whenever I arrive in the US now it feels like home (never thought I would say that but it's true).

As I say, its' coming up for my 5 yr anniversary. For the first 4 of those 5 yrs I lived continually in the US, and it's only in the last year that I have spent several months in the UK, but I have been back and forth every few months.
(bottom line is with business assignments I've spent probably 48 out of the last 60 months in the US). Do I have to be physically in the US when I apply?

I've also applied for a re-entry permit as a precaution (N-470 to preserve residency). By the way although the N-470 says you can pay your $150 by personal check I had it returned with a letter saying I must pay by money order! If anyone else has is thinking of applying for an N-470 it may help to know this.

Rgds
PJ
Your profile says relocated to Aberdeen.

Where is home, where are you domiciled?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

jackpetj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
Your profile says relocated to Aberdeen.

Where is home, where are you domiciled?
I am currently domiciled in UK (Aberdeen)
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 4:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

but it is called permanent residency.............................
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:02 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Rgds
PJ
hi I have my application for Naturalization (N-400) and it pretty much says you have to be a permanent resident here for 5 years, 3 if you are married to a U.S citizen.

you may want to check with http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

if you've mostly been here though you must have a physical address....do you have homes in both countries?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 5:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Domiciled is usually a more permanent description then resident, especially among tax authorities.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 9:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

you could have reset the stopclock then...so you should probably speak to a US immigration attorney...there's a couple good ones' in London.

even for a consult...anyway...

http://www.usvisalawyers.co.uk/firm.htm

http://www.usvisalawgroup.com/

I haven't used either, but they have been recommended previously, and also they are linked from the US consulate.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you could have reset the stopclock then...so you should probably speak to a US immigration attorney...there's a couple good ones' in London.

even for a consult...anyway...

http://www.usvisalawyers.co.uk/firm.htm

http://www.usvisalawgroup.com/

I haven't used either, but they have been recommended previously, and also they are linked from the US consulate.

I would also consult with a US immigration lawyer on whether there is a risk of losing the green card.

Jeremy