Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US citizenship

US citizenship

Old Dec 10th 2003, 2:34 am
Just Joined

dimpledot is an unknown quantity at this point
Question US citizenship

How difficult is it to get US citizenship? I have heard you have to do a test, is it very hard. I am not much good at studying. And also, once the paperwork is begun how long does it take to come through.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 3:30 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizenship

Originally posted by dimpledot
How difficult is it to get US citizenship? I have heard you have to do a test, is it very hard. I am not much good at studying. And also, once the paperwork is begun how long does it take to come through.
If you are married to a USC you can apply for citizenship 3 year minus 90 days from the date you where granted residency. It then takes up to nine months for you to receive it. The test is a citizenship test and if you go on the BCIS web site they have a mock test. Basically name the first 13 states, the original colonies, the make up of government, what do the 13 stripes and 50 stars on the flag represent - crap you know as a foreigner but americans have no ****ing clue about. You then have your fingerprints taken, take the oath of aligence and as long as you have been a morally upstanding citizen you are a then a fully fledged USC. Simply really

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick; Dec 10th 2003 at 3:42 am.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

And if your not married to a USC it would take you 12 years.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 1:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ejay1
thought it could be as little as 5 years.
Old Dec 10th 2003, 4:15 pm
JeanDupont

This site looks quite informative:

http://www.us-immigration.com/inform...ship_tutorial/

Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Default thank you

Thank you for all the help. Doesn't seem too daunting. I think I'll give it a try.
Karen
Old Dec 11th 2003, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

1skydive is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thank you

Your post indicates that you are worried about the test. Don't be. When I took mine they asked me about 6 questions and they we're very simple. The questions came directly from the sample questions on the BCIS web site.

Thank you for all the help. Doesn't seem too daunting. I think I'll give it a try.
Karen
Old Dec 11th 2003, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by manc1976
thought it could be as little as 5 years.
If you have your GC for 5 years you are eligible to apply, my husband did it a couple of months ago. Takes about 8 months altogether from start to finish with the paperwork, fingerprints etc., and costs about $240. They ask you 10 questions out of a possible 100. All they want to know is if you can read and understand english. They stopped my husband after only 4.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ejay1

No, it's 5 years as a LPR (through marriage is 3 years). The cost is $310 because there is a 50 dollar fingerprint fee (to be included when you submit the paperwork and $260 fee). If you don't include the $50 fee, they mail you one notice with a deadline to submit it within a few months or your case will be abandoned.

You must be 21 years of age to apply for naturalization.

Last edited by jaytee; Dec 11th 2003 at 7:05 am.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: US citizenship

Officially, you are told 6-9 months, but a realistic answer is about 1 and 1/2 years. The test is rote memorization of the sample 100 questions and the couple of questions that are specific to your state. The most difficult part of the test would be something along the line of naming amendments. The difficulty is the waiting and getting through the process.. getting to the various scheduled appointments (which might involve driving overnight to get to the interview or oath ceremony or staying the night before in a hotel), resubmitting fingerprints and photographs if necessary.. dealing with BCIS incompetence like losing your file and then claiming they can't get it from the service center

Last edited by jaytee; Dec 11th 2003 at 8:08 am.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Default what if I fail

Thank you all for your help. One last question. What if I fail the test? Can I reapply and do I have to wait a certain amount of time before retaking.
And yes I am afraid of the test. I failed my driving test here because of nerves.
I am getting too long in the tooth to learn new things I guess.
Karen
Old Dec 12th 2003, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: what if I fail

Thank you all for your help. One last question. What if I fail the test? Can I reapply and do I have to wait a certain amount of time before retaking.
And yes I am afraid of the test. I failed my driving test here because of nerves.
Karen
I believe you can retake the test on another day. That means you'd have to come back for another scheduled interview. I guess it just depends on if you can recite 5 or so rote memorization answers to questions in front of an officer. You can practice on your computer and that should be good enough except for the questions specific to your state. http://uscis.gov/graphics/exec/natz/natztest.asp

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/require.htm
Old Dec 12th 2003, 12:45 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

It makes no sense to me that you have to be finger printed again! They asked for that with the Green card application!

Do they print you there or do you have to go to a local police department? (I didn't think that was fun the first time)
Old Dec 12th 2003, 12:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Karen
You can't fail. Really. You already know most of it. For instance, they asked me who the American Colonies fought against in the War of Independence (!!). Still, I expect they were just trying to test my loyalties. Oh, and no, they didn't think it was funny.
Old Dec 14th 2003, 2:40 am
mwm
Forum Regular

mwm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
You can't fail. Really. You already know most of it. For instance, they asked me who the American Colonies fought against in the War of Independence (!!). Still, I expect they were just trying to test my loyalties. Oh, and no, they didn't think it was funny.
Might sound like a really dumb question but can you get joint citizenship?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.