Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizen in the UK want to move to the US

US Citizen in the UK want to move to the US

Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen in the UK want to move to the US

Originally Posted by Winterwords

Why would I need to file tax returns for a country I haven't ever been resident in? I can't see how I'd have to pay two sets of tax to two different countries.
filing taxes and actually paying them are 2 seperate issues.

They just wanna see where your money is going. There is a reciprocity arrangement that usually means if you've paid the UK treasury then Uncle Sam is cool with it.

but I'm not a CPA so don't take my words as gospel.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Look at this web page from the US embassy in London: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/irs/irswho.htm

You are a US citizen, and I will presume you earned more than the low limits given in the table. Therefore, you need to file! Go to the site I gave you earlier and ask their advice about how to do it. It's no biggy and it shouldn't cost you anything other than time, but it could come back and bite you bad if you were to come to come and live in the states. How about finding your first US wage check (cheque) is for nowt coz Uncle Sam garnished the bloody lot?!?
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterwords
Unfortunately, getting a degree is pretty much out of the window though I've thought of doing an OU course (otherwise it would probably land me in an average of 10-15 grand sterling debt) & degrees are harder to get over here (which I guess has it's plus side, which means they *should* in theory be more valuable than the average American degree).
Cheaper getting a degree in the UK than in the US that's for sure...
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:39 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
no you don't.

I worked quite legally with just my EAD while my SS# was application pending.
The OP has American citizenship so he need a SS number to prove he is eligible to work in the US. EAD is not applicable in his case.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The OP has American citizenship so he need a SS number to prove he is eligible to work in the US. EAD is not applicable in his case.

passport will do the trick just as easily though....
Old Jul 16th 2005, 1:22 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
passport will do the trick just as easily though....
agreed.
it's the eligibility to work is the stickler with regards the USCIS that counts. so long as you have the right to work, the USCIS couldn't give a toss if you have a SS# or not.

Your prospective employer might, but that's there problem, but not a problem under law.