Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Citizen Application: trip outside the US

US Citizen Application: trip outside the US

Old Aug 29th 2011, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Citizen Application: trip outside the US

After all the fun and games getting my British passport renewed, I read all the good advice here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718643 about becoming a US citizen. After all, I have been here since I was 9, and that was a very very very long time ago. Downloaded the form today and took a look at it. Wow, it's expensive! But never mind that -- the application form has a place to list every trip out of the US since I became a permanent resident. Uh oh! I've been traveling internationally on business for over 20 years - I have no clue when all those trips were. I could probably piece together dates from old passports, but not which trip was to which country, as most were to Europe. None were for more than 2 weeks though, but I have no evidence for this! Those of you who have been through the process do you have any thoughts for me? Should i consult an immigration lawyer?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:02 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen Application: trip outside the US

Originally Posted by BellaE
After all the fun and games getting my British passport renewed, I read all the good advice here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718643 about becoming a US citizen. After all, I have been here since I was 9, and that was a very very very long time ago. Downloaded the form today and took a look at it. Wow, it's expensive! But never mind that -- the application form has a place to list every trip out of the US since I became a permanent resident. Uh oh! I've been traveling internationally on business for over 20 years - I have no clue when all those trips were. I could probably piece together dates from old passports, but not which trip was to which country, as most were to Europe. None were for more than 2 weeks though, but I have no evidence for this! Those of you who have been through the process do you have any thoughts for me? Should i consult an immigration lawyer?
I am going to fill my application out soon and am also a bit sketchy on trip details. From memory others have previously said you should make an approximate list and annotate it that it's to the best of your recollection, or words to that effect.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I am going to fill my application out soon and am also a bit sketchy on trip details. From memory others have previously said you should make an approximate list and annotate it that it's to the best of your recollection, or words to that effect.
thanks - I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast, so this is an extreme challenge for me.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast, so this is an extreme challenge for me.
Are you a member of a frequent flier program, you can usually access a lot of prior flight information on those.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Those of you who have been through the process do you have any thoughts for me?
Complete the question to the best of your ability. That is all you can do... indeed, that is all that is required of you. That said, the form assumes you've been a PR for only 5 years... so that might make it a bit easier to complete.

Should i consult an immigration lawyer?
Will the immigration attorney know your travel history without asking you about it? I'm guessing not!

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Are you a member of a frequent flier program, you can usually access a lot of prior flight information on those.
Very clever! Thanks!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Will the immigration attorney know your travel history without asking you about it? I'm guessing not!
True - I was wondering if an attorney could think of a legal way for me not to appear quite so addled as I really am...but honestly, that would require far more than a lawyer!!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:49 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like I need to start keeping a log - three years to go = lots of trips