Reload this Page >

US Cars - Advice on Equivalent!

US Cars - Advice on Equivalent!

Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Parisangel will become famous soon enough
Default US Cars - Advice on Equivalent!

Hey - help me please!

We are looking for a car for me to ferry the children to school etc etc - looked at minivans etc but they are huge and not sure I need quite that much car, but I do like to higher up, slightly bigger type cars - egs in UK would be Renault Scenic, Ford C-Max, new Ford Escape etc....we are looking at used cars so it needs to be something that's been around a while.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:26 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Cars - Advice on Equivalent!

There aren't really cars like the C-Max or Scenic here... It kind of jumps from Focus to small SUV.
What about something like a Nissan Rogue, Jeep Liberty, Mazda CX-7 or Ford Edge.

Just had a quick look on Texas Direct Auto and there are the above models in the circa 4-5 yr old range for $12-15k.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bink
There aren't really cars like the C-Max or Scenic here... It kind of jumps from Focus to small SUV.
What about something like a Nissan Rogue, Jeep Liberty, Mazda CX-7 or Ford Edge.

Just had a quick look on Texas Direct Auto and there are the above models in the circa 4-5 yr old range for $12-15k.
Fabulous - I'll look, thanks Bink
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the Honda CR-V too. Constantly at the top of all recommended lists and lasts and lasts and lasts!

We have a 2007 and it's almost as good today as it was on the day we bought it - and it still has a good resale value. So it may cost a little more when you buy it, but you know you're getting a good car!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:40 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Look at the Honda CR-V too. Constantly at the top of all recommended lists and lasts and lasts and lasts!

We have a 2007 and it's almost as good today as it was on the day we bought it - and it still has a good resale value. So it may cost a little more when you buy it, but you know you're getting a good car!
+1. My list is not exhaustive and there are other choices depending on what you're looking for, but it's a start.
I would recommend Texas Direct Auto as well. They were very good when I bought a car from them and they have a decent selection of good cars.
I think someone noted that they went there test drove then bid on Ebay to get a lower price - my experience is that despite saying they won't negotiate, they did with me. It may well depend on what you buy and how long it's been sat there though. They do appear to have a high turnover of cars.

Last edited by Bink; Nov 6th 2012 at 3:41 pm. Reason: fat finger syndrome
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Great, I'll take a look, thanks for the tip!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bear in mind that old bangers here seem to cost more than they would in the UK.

Sunbaru's are well liked but you may not need the 4 wheel drive.

Also you will soon get used to a bigger vehicle, it may seem impractical transferring to a UK mindset but works here.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:06 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Hey - help me please!

We are looking for a car for me to ferry the children to school etc etc - looked at minivans etc but they are huge and not sure I need quite that much car, but I do like to higher up, slightly bigger type cars - egs in UK would be Renault Scenic, Ford C-Max, new Ford Escape etc....we are looking at used cars so it needs to be something that's been around a while.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
I drove (well, not much) a civic in the UK and didn't want a big car here. I ended up with a massive Explorer XL, 8 seater beast. It's great when visitors come but more importantly, I feel safer driving the kids in it. Houston drivers are mental. At least with something big and powerful if I need to I can get away from them, and I'm big enough that they see me. The only reason I even tried it was because they didn't have the hire car we ordered so we got one of those to try instead.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for the CRV, not cheap though.

Chrysler Town & Country are nice, seven seats but not really that huge. Bear in mind the roads and parking spaces are bigger here too. The T&C has power sliding doors, even power rear door (maybe more fancy models).

A cheaper equivalent is the Dodge Grand Caravan which we have and love - though some people hate them. Some models have bucket seats in the middle rather than a bench so it's more comfortable than a typical 4/5-seater car. Overhead video too. One power sliding door, but the slidey part lowers the risk of kids opening the doors into other vehicles.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Just bear in mind that the Chrysler T&C (and the Dodge Caravan) are notorious for expensive transmission failure,
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

USIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond reputeUSIOMUS has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Renault Scenic in the UK and I have a Toyota RAV-4 here...not nearly the same thing, but similar enough in terms of being higher up, especially nice for the kids so they can see out. Advantage of the RAV is that it is 4 wheel drive, as we are in New York rather than Texas and we get a LOT of snow. Feels similar in size, as well, I don't feel like I'm driving a HUGE car (unlike hubby's Ford Explorer)!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Stick to Toyota, Honda, Kia or Hyundai.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 5:56 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby loves his Ford Edge. Plenty of room front and back plus a great sized boot (trunk). He bought his new in 2008, in fact this may be the longest he has kept a car!! Has USB for plugging in iPod, built in GPS, voice commands etc.

I have a VW Bug which is cute but too small if you have kiddos, only 2 door, couldn't fit a buggy in the boot (trunk).
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:23 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by cranston
Stick to Toyota, Honda, Kia or Hyundai.
Whilst I agree that they all make decent cars, I don't think it's true you need to stick to them anymore to get a reliable car. They are very good bang for the buck though and they normally come loaded with gadgets.

I have a GMC Acadia (I know, I own a government motors car) and honestly, I love it. I previously had a Hyundai Santa Fe which was more than adequate and my wife has an Elantra which is a good little car but the Acadia for me is probably my favourite car I've driven (with the exception of a 'vette) and I drive a lot of cars through travelling with work.

The Edge is a decent car. So is the old escape (it's just not that pretty IMO - haven't driven the new one yet though it looks better) although if you look at Escapes, look at the V6, the I4 version is underpowered.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parisangel
Hey - help me please!

We are looking for a car for me to ferry the children to school etc etc - looked at minivans etc but they are huge and not sure I need quite that much car, .....

Any suggestions?
I think you'll soon change your mind when you find yourself and your children sharing the road with large SUV's, pickup trucks and commercial trucks.
If minivan is where your mindset is look at the Dodge/ Chrysler as it is the market leader, or the Honda Odyssey, which is (IMO) better styled, and also has a great reputation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.