Reload this Page >

US Car Rentals for UK Residents

Wikiposts

US Car Rentals for UK Residents

Old Apr 4th 2022, 1:15 am
Just Joined

MM62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation US Car Rentals for UK Residents

Hi, I'm a UK resident originally from California, USA. I currently hold a valid California Driver's License, and on a trip back in a few weeks I want to be able to rent a car. I'm very confused about the best way to do this and am getting all sorts of conflicting information of what seems like it should be an easy process.

When I went back to Los Angeles last year I had some issues at the rental counter because I didn't have an international driver's license (even though I have a valid CA license) and the drivers license address not matching my UK home/credit card address. They ultimately gave me the car but I don't want to run into an issue again and am unclear what I did wrong.

I do not have a UK license and was not planning to get one as I don't intend to drive here.

Does anyone have experience with this and would it be easier if I just use the US address where I get mail (that's also on my DL) when renting and skip the UK aspect of all together? And IF I do that does that invalidate any insurance/liability waivers I purchase for the rental?

It also seems that if I rent a car on the US sites vs UK sites the fees are MUCH cheaper, however, someone told me that if I do it that way I won't get the right insurance.

Hoping someone can clarify this for me. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by MM62; Apr 4th 2022 at 2:23 am.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 2:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Car Rentals for UK Residents

If you are resident in the UK then your CA license is no longer valid, exactly the same as if you had relocated to New York, rather than the UK.

As it stands at the moment, you don't, AFAICT, hold a valid license to drive anywhere, at least not until/ unless you return to CA to live.

You could probably "skate by" by renting using a California address, but that doesn't make using a CA license legal when you're resident elsewhere.

And yes, American car (owners) insurance covers you when you're driving a rental car, but a British visitor needs to buy additional insurance when renting in the US (or anywhere else), typically making renting nearly twice the cost for a British visitor over a US resident when renting a car in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2022 at 3:05 am.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Angry Re: US Car Rentals for UK Residents

Yeah that is my thought however it does seem to vary by company. I can't post links on here but I found a site that details the different driver's license requirements, and Dollar and Avis seem to indicate they accept US licenses for non-residents.

I also just called Dollar and they said a CA license is fine for the location I want to rent (airport). Apparently it varies by pick up location.

Since I'm still paying state taxes in California you would think my license would still be valid until it expires. Frustrating.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 3:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MM62
Yeah that is my thought however it does seem to vary by company. I can't post links on here but I found a site that details the different driver's license requirements, and Dollar and Avis seem to indicate they accept US licenses for non-residents.

I also just called Dollar and they said a CA license is fine for the location I want to rent (airport). Apparently it varies by pick up location. .....
Be careful, just because a web site, or someone answering the phone says "yeah, that's no problem" doesn't mean that is legally correct. So even if you are allowed to drive away with a rental car using your CA license doesn't mean that you could end up with potentially huge legal problems in the event that you are involved in a serious car accident, when the lawyer for the other party discovers that you weren't eligible to hold a CA license.

The best answer would just be to bite the bullet and get your UK driving licence.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Yes, agreed, however I would say the same thing about asking people on the internet as I'm getting wildly differently answers with this one across various forums and Facebook groups. And learning to drive on the other side of the road just to be able to use my valid license to drive on the opposite side really seems counterintuitive.

Last edited by MM62; Apr 4th 2022 at 4:07 am.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Also, to over complicate it, I BELIEVE your US license is good for 1 year after you move. Meaning since I am within that one year, I would technically be able to rent in the UK with it - so I would think that would apply to the US as well?
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, agreed, however I would say the same thing about asking people on the internet as I'm getting wildly differently answers with this one across various forums and Facebook groups. And learning to drive on the other side of the road just to be able to use my valid license to drive on the opposite side really seems counterintuitive.
You've already had issues when renting using a CA driving licence when a) you don't live in US and b) your address on DL does not match up with home address or billing address for credit card.
As Pulaski says, it's all OK until you have an accident and your CA licence is not accepted by the insurance company/lawyer and you're left with the bill.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Yeah I guess, this just all seems ridiculous. As I said, I did speak to two rental companies today that said if you rent at an airport there are different regulations and license requirements so CA would be accepted so I don't know. it's really the insurance requirement that is confusing so I may try reaching out to my old insurance company to see if they can help.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also, to over complicate it, I BELIEVE your US license is good for 1 year after you move. Meaning since I am within that one year, I would technically be able to rent in the UK with it - so I would think that would apply to the US as well?
Yes, you can technically rent in the UK with a US driving licence up to 1 year after taking residence in the UK.
Your problem is using your US driving licence when you are no longer resident in the US so, as previously stated, your address/credit card details do not match up with your licence - hence your initial problems with renting in LA

I don't see how the request for an International Driving licence solves your problem as that is used for translating your home country licence.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:34 am

Yeah I guess, this just all seems ridiculous. As I said, I did speak to two rental companies today that said if you rent at an airport there are different regulations and license requirements so CA would be accepted so I don't know. it's really the insurance requirement that is confusing ....
I don't think it's confusing at all, it's just not the answer you hoped for. You are the latest in a long line of posters here on BE, and presumably else where, who have come here looking for someone to confirm that your course of action is correct/ legally acceptable. Now you have found that not to be the case.
.... so I may try reaching out to my old insurance company to see if they can help.
You may, or may not get useful information, but you should take great care [1] to make it clear that you are not resident in CA but are trying to use a CA license, and [2] to get any advice in writing from the insurance company (BTW you said "old insurance company" - if you don't have a current policy with that company I don't know why they would even talk to you, much less give you definitive information ), as having verbal advice is pretty much useless in the event that you later have legal issues because you were involved in an accident when you allegedly didn't have a valid drivers license.
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
.... I don't see how the request for an International Driving licence solves your problem as that is used for translating your home country licence.
Exactly. I don't think MM62 could get an international permit in the UK anyway, it would have to come from CA, as an international permit is only really a translation of your "real" DL.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2022 at 4:41 am.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:37 am
Just Joined

They DO match, thats how I have been able to rent before. I use my parent's address for mail and one of my credit cards. My initial issue was resolved at the counter when I was able to switch credits cards and use my US one with a US address, I should have explained that.

However I don't believe that would help in an insurance situation where they use other parameters for residency.
Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They DO match, thats how I have been able to rent before. I use my parent's address for mail and one of my credit cards. My initial issue was resolved at the counter when I was able to switch credits cards and use my US one with a US address, I should have explained that.

However I don't believe that would help in an insurance situation where they use other parameters for residency.
It would not help at all since you are not resident in the US

Old Apr 4th 2022, 4:59 am

Exactly, your problem is residency, not whether or not you can artificially align your various records at one address, which is at best questionable when you are seeking to circumvent (car rental company) rules designed to ensure that renters qualify for the rental and have a valid license and insurance.

As noted previously, creating documentation to pass the rudimentary rules of the rental company does not mean that the result is legally valid.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 4th 2022 at 5:02 am.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 12:05 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me, based on your responses, that you are going to do whatever you want to do, rather than what you should do.

That's all well and good of course, until it isn't. Personally I don't like being legally exposed to something that, in the wrong circumstance, can lead to legal problems and a potentially unlimited civil judgement.

It seems clear what you should do.
Old Apr 5th 2022, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It seems to me, based on your responses, that you are going to do whatever you want to do, rather than what you should do.

That's all well and good of course, until it isn't. Personally I don't like being legally exposed to something that, in the wrong circumstance, can lead to legal problems and a potentially unlimited civil judgement.

It seems clear what you should do.
Well said and I would add potentially extending that liability to others i.e. parents if I read the circumstances correctly.