Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

which US car is most similar to Toyota Corolla Verso?

which US car is most similar to Toyota Corolla Verso?

Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which US car is most similar to Toyota Corolla Verso?

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
.... um, did we have a midlife crisis in 07?
It was less expensive than a girlfriend!

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovik
The US counterpart would be Toyota Sienna. Get used to things being different over here, and enjoy a much larger car.
Well, no need to run a larger car - unless you need one. We had a Subaru Outback as our primary car when we had two children at home & were running all over Ontario and northern New York with a hockey goalie & her equipment. Now that we are empty nesters, we drive a Toyota Yaris and save all that gas money. Just because gas is cheaper here, doesn't mean there is no incentive to minimise use..
Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

LillyRobeson is on a distinguished road

The Verso is perfect for us size wise. Not a huge SUV but enough room for the mutt in the back and can carry 5 people easily (we have the older model which doesn't have 7 seats). Ugh, I wish they had that model in the states.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 2:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
...guess who's never had a problem, and it isn't me and when "foreign" brands go wrong over here they often cost a lot more to sort out
I don't find the cost being any more expensive these days....but location does matter.

Honda is cheap as chips to maintain in MA, but costs a hell of a lot more up in Maine for instance, just as there aren't nearly as many on the roads up there.

Getting a small car here in the US can be a little scary though, unless you live in a big city.

If you do decide to go the pick up route, the Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado and the Toyota Tacoma are all pretty good, for different uses and even the girly Nissan Frontier? Ain't to bad....only one I've been in that hated was the Dodge Ram 5000 I think it was.

Anyway, all cars these days are shit with all the electronics, meh
Old Feb 6th 2012, 2:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I used to feel as you do and always bought Toyota. However, the recent plethora of recalls for Toyota have really disappointed me. Like FatBrit, I think I'll look seriously at Subaru for a future vehicle.
The re-calls aren't that bad.

Ford/Chevy/Honda/BMW have all had just as many recalls in the same period, but less publicity. The Mini Cooper is getting a huge one right now, recalling all back to 2006 for a slight fire risk with a pump going.

Toyota were also given the all clear of any wrong doing with their recall btw.

As for Japanese cars though, Honda are within a whisker for going under, part of why the interior quality has sunk a little lately. Nissan aren't to far behind them unfortunately.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Have a look at the new Toyota Prius V. I sat in one at the Washington Auto show last week and it has a large boot, lots of rear seat leg and head room, and is economical to run. Otherwise I would also suggest a Subaru Forester, the 2012's have a new engine with a timing chain which should mean lower long term maintenance costs, plenty of rear seat leg and head room, a decent size boot, easy to see out of, and its a couple of inches shorter than the Prius V, and 9 inches shorter than the Outback.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As for Japanese cars though, Honda are within a whisker for going under, part of why the interior quality has sunk a little lately. Nissan aren't to far behind them unfortunately.
Honda have made a few errors in the last few years, most notably the new 2012 Civic which has not sold well. It's so bad they are doing a complete clean sheet design for the 2013 models. Hyundai have come up fast in the past few years and beaten Honda at their own game IMHO. Our 2011 Elantra is hard to beat.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Honda have made a few errors in the last few years, most notably the new 2012 Civic which has not sold well. It's so bad they are doing a complete clean sheet design for the 2013 models. Hyundai have come up fast in the past few years and beaten Honda at their own game IMHO. Our 2011 Elantra is hard to beat.
The Elantra was a good choice on your part.
Honda have lost their way IMO. They had a design ready to go and it again was to grow some more. That has now been shelved and they are going to shrink it.
Have you seen the trend to small cars?
Have you seen the trend to the low end priced cars going to $20K?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:12 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
The Elantra was a good choice on your part.
Honda have lost their way IMO. They had a design ready to go and it again was to grow some more. That has now been shelved and they are going to shrink it.
We too have a 2011 Elantra and love it. I think it's a great car personally and if you want something a little sportier the 3.8 Genesis coupe is pretty sweet as well.
I think Hyundai have really picked up their game in the last few years. They need to rework the Veracruz imo but at the smaller end they have some pretty great choices (Elantra and Tuscon from 2011 onwards are both very good imo).
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

If you do decide to go the pick up route, the Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado and the Toyota Tacoma are all pretty good, for different uses and even the girly Nissan Frontier?
You calling my beloved pick up girly?????? Tire irons at dawn!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You calling my beloved pick up girly?????? Tire irons at dawn!

A cousins husband has one, biggest highland games type chap ever...it's great, but even he admits to minus points on the manhood scale

So much more comfortable in back seats compared to the Honda pickup too, which felt like riding on stone.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

So much more comfortable in back seats compared to the Honda pickup too, which felt like riding on stone.
My last one was the 4-door -- definitely very comfortable in the back -- but my new one (well, to me, anyway) is a two-door with the jump seats, which I'm sure are miserable to sit on. I keep them folded away and have the entire space taken up by a dog bed. However, it did come with the biggest darn deer catcher in town on the front!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search for "Chevy intake manifold gasket problems" and you'll see what I mean. )
Hmm. I, too had a cracked intake manifold recently -- on a 2004 BMW. Younger daughter drives a 2003 Mini Cooper with the CVT transmission -- read the internet on those.

BTW, we are now in the 2012 model year -- 14 years down the line from the 1998 model year. [We do drive a 1998 Volvo S70].
Old Feb 6th 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Yeah. Honda caught the "lets make it bigger" fad and unfortunately it doesn't work. VW and Subaru have both played the same game too with similar results although Subaru claim they now sell more cars in the US. Why Honda felt this was a good idea I don't know One thing Honda could do immediately is dump the Civic Hybrid and import their fantastic euro TDI engine and plonk it in a Civic. 50+ mpg and ultra reliability overnight.

Hmm. I, too had a cracked intake manifold recently -- on a 2004 BMW. Younger daughter drives a 2003 Mini Cooper with the CVT transmission -- read the internet on those.
In Chevy's case, the main culprit was using plastic gaskets and the DexCool coolant which supposedly didn't need changing for 100k miles. Result, the coolant ate away at the plastic gasket over time. A pretty dumb idea if you ask me.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:11 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In Chevy's case, the main culprit was using plastic gaskets and the DexCool coolant which supposedly didn't need changing for 100k miles. Result, the coolant ate away at the plastic gasket over time. A pretty dumb idea if you ask me.
The Beemer part is plastic also -- and buried under a lot of stuff. Finding the crack in the manifold was a bitch for the mechanic. The diagnostic stuff simply said a leak in the air intake system.

The worst recalls I had to deal with involved a 1976 Honda Civic CVCC engine, a 1979 VW electrical wiring harness, a Toyota oil pump which had the habit of inflating the filter cannister and the BMW reprogramming the engine management computer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.